New tire suggestions

phil1841

Loyal - first let me say I don't currently own a RTV (or any utility vehicle) but actively shopping with the Kubota at the top of my list. I have been around tires for a long time in my job and deal with tire loads, pressures, tire wear, ride quality and everything else tire related on a daily basis. However, my experience is with bigger tires - mostly over the highway truck tires - 19.5" thru 24.5" bead diameters.

The basic construction differences between a radial and bias ply tire result in significant performance improvements for the radial. Essentially the way the tire casing ply (or body ply or plies) are oriented coupled with a tread area stabilized with separate belts on the radial allow the sidewall and tread to operate somewhat independent of each other. This means when the tire is exposed to a vertical or lateral force, the body ply takes the movement while the tread remains stable on the ground. In the world of automobile, light truck, and commercial truck tires, the huge improvement provided by radials is with tread life. There's a good reason if you are under 45 years of age or so, grew up in the US and never travelled to the developing world, you've probably never driven a car with a bias ply tire (and probably not any other vehicle outside of farm tractor, ATV, golf cart or lawnmower)!!

Along with the tread life improvement (which is really irrelevant for UTV tires I suppose) the other major improvement is vehicle handling with the radial tire tending to give a much better ride quality in both straight line and lateral movements. There are other factors where the radial is better - but I would expect (but do not absolutely know) vehicle handling would be the major factor on an RTV. Please don't take this to say bias tires are bad or unsafe - of course they are not. But, for me, I would choose a tire with radial construction over bias ply anytime given the chance.

And yes, I am a tire nerd. My wife reminds me of that often.

Great board here guys and a great topic. Thanks for letting me join in.

Last edited:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I have to agree with Phil good post! I just slapped a pair of 18-4x38 radials on my tractor, so far I'm really happy with the traction and ride over the bias plys that were on there. The sidewalls hold up better at lower pressures on radials as well.

ovrszd

Very good stuff Phil.

Certainly agree that younger drivers have likely never experienced bias ply tires.

An additional point is different types of materials used in tire belts. Common misconception is that all radial tires are belted with steel.

Phil could certainly elaborate on that better than I.

phil1841

Yes - not all radials have steel belts. For the most part car, light truck and larger commercial tires have steel belts underneath the tread area to provide stability for that part of the tire. But there are other materials beside steel which can perform the same function. Looking at some of the marketing material from a couple of ATV/UTV tire makers, they show the use of nylon "belts" or plies on their radial ATV/UTV tires.

ovrszd

Sidetrack.....

I bought a new car in 1980. Radial tires were an option. I opted out. Over the next few years I looked at radial tires as they were the rage. I never thought this new idea would work. The sidewalls were so flimsy I couldn't even understand how they held air. They ALWAYS looked like they were low on air...... Eventually I owned a vehicle with radials. I Never looked back. :)

FTG-05

Here's what I wrote about ITP Blackwater Evolutions almost a year ago:

"Blackwater Evolutions SUCK!

Let's see if we can count the ways:

- They look great on my RTV, see pics below
- Huge carrying capacity, especially vs. my old crappy Craptyles 489s
- Who needs 4wd anymore? Even up and down my hills
- Did I mention they look great? Did I mention pics?

And these are the bad points!!!"

Pics:

IMG_20160407_101718810_HDR%20Large_zpsfgfb2nss.jpg

IMG_20160409_182441125%20Large_zpsg2nvvrfe.jpg

IMG_20160409_182548057%20Large_zpsdmqn79rc.jpg

And to whomever said it: Screw ordering from Discount Tire. Order from Robin at All-Terrain Off-Road! https://allterrainonline.com/

Fordman

Site Supporter
Hello , I have the buckshot 2 mudder Light Truck tires 27/8.50/14 really like them great ride & last a Long time , this is a great forum with great people to have so many suggestions , hope this helps

William

ovrszd

Hello , I have the buckshot 2 mudder Light Truck tires 27/8.50/14 really like them great ride & last a Long time , this is a great forum with great people to have so many suggestions , hope this helps

William

Were I buying wheels I'd do as William and go 14". Broadens the availability of tires!!! :)