Help deciding!

harpoonalt

Currently have an RTV500 with the Kubota/Curtis plow. Seriously considering upgrading to an 1120. I definitely want to go go hydraulic on the plow. My 500 works great, but the electric up and down is slow and it's a manual angle.
Considering the western v-plow or the Kubota one. The western is considerably cheaper, but I'd like opinions. Nearest Boss dealer is way far away or I'd consider that. Western dealer recommended dual batteries. Necessary? Any and all suggestions welcome!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I can't comment on the plow. but i would highly recommend the X1100C or even an 1100 for that matter. i can't imagine being in the weather without that cab with marvelous heater/defroster air conditioner.

harpoonalt

LOL, I've been out in the weather for the last 6 years with the 500. The cab would be nice but it won't fit in my garage. The dog would miss the wind in her face during the summer too.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
IIRC the Kubota plow is made by Curtis. I have a Curtis on my 900. Manual side to side, power up/down like yours.

The Curtis is a nice plow and has moved mountains of snow with little damage for 5 years but if I were to buy a new one, it would be a V-plow.

Why? Easier to break the first pass through heavy snow, over 10". Easy to size to go down sidewalks or narrow areas.

I would buy the Boss as there are dealers close to me but Western has a good name and they look like good plows. Go to youtube and look for the Western V-plow on UTV's there are a lot to look at.

I would chose the Western before the Curtis just because of the V setup.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have only had my 1120 for a month but I am very pleased with it so far. Strong low-end power which would be perfect for plowing. Hope that helps. It is quite a bit wider than the RTV500.

williemakit

I have a 2013 x1100c with a western Impact v plow. I had the plow installed fall of 2016. I only run one battery and can't understand why the dealer would say you need two. I have had no problems. I went with the western because it was 50 lbs lighter then the boss. I felt 50 lbs was a lot of x-tra weight hanging out there that I didn't need and Boss required H/D front springs. Western did not. When checking dealers don't forget truck equipment installers they carry the major brands and may be close to your location. It took them about 4 hrs start to finish and running the control cable into the cab was likely the hardest part. Good luck in your quest.

Rogerwh0

I changed the electric up and down to Hydraulic on the curtis plow. It works great. I was in it about $250 for the hydraulic cylinder and the 12v hydraulic switch to change from the up/own to side to side function. The 1100's are great machines. I could never go back to something without heat and a/c.

harpoonalt

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to do the western impact V-plow. The dealer here is great. I'd love a cab for winter but it's just too tall for my garage. Besides, I'm a tough Vermonter and we don't need no stink in' cab. Lol.
I can't wait to get my 1120. The bigger bed and hydraulic dump will be most welcome. Should last me the rest of my life.
The dual batteries was if I got a Honda Pioneer 1000. I thought about that but finally decided that I wanted a true work machine and my 500 has been flawless. Kubota it is.
I plow about 300 yards of paths on my property for the dog (short legs) so the V will work great. Pics after I get everything delivered.
Thanks!

ccmdvl1960

IIRC the Kubota plow is made by Curtis. I have a Curtis on my 900. Manual side to side, power up/down like yours.

The Curtis is a nice plow and has moved mountains of snow with little damage for 5 years but if I were to buy a new one, it would be a V-plow.

Why? Easier to break the first pass through heavy snow, over 10". Easy to size to go down sidewalks or narrow areas.

I would buy the Boss as there are dealers close to me but Western has a good name and they look like good plows. Go to youtube and look for the Western V-plow on UTV's there are a lot to look at.

I would chose the Western before the Curtis just because of the V setup.

Kubota now offers different OEM options for the current X series units. The original Curtis plow, offered on the 900/1100/1140 RTV's, is still available on the new X- series models, but there are now Kubota OEM hydraulic plow options. $$$.

harpoonalt

I priced out the Kubota v-plow and it came out to $6000 all in. The western impact is just under 4. The Kubota one looks nice but 2 grand more is a lot.

628pm

Site Supporter
Here is my setup

x900 with cab
factory heater
wipers
emergency light
backup camera when pushing snow, rear glass fogs up some

And off course my buddy Gus peaking at the bottom of driver's door

Attachments

• kubota with plow 1.jpg
    kubota with plow 1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 65
  • kubota with plow 2.jpg
    kubota with plow 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 66
  • kubota with plow 3.jpg
    kubota with plow 3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 65

harpoonalt

Nice rig! I have a helper too! Bella is a golden doodle who loves to ride. I've got more hours with her than without.