JD14 cylinder missing - sometimes

Jkrph

I have a JD 14 that has a nearly new Honda GX690 engine. Yesterday it started running rough. After a bit of testing I figured out one spark plug wasn't firing. As I was tinkering it started running properly and ran fine until I worked for about a half hour today. All of a sudden it started running on one cylider again. A few minutes later it went back to running smooth. I checked the spark plug wire and it appears to be connected correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Change spark plugs or swap the existing plugs from side to side and see if the problem moves. If it does change the plug for a new one.

Could be a loose connection or wire to that coil or it's mount.

Not sure if you can switch the coil packs from side to side, but that would be another test.

Make sure all grounds are secure and clean.

You don't indicate where you are, but a little de-icer in the fuel will help stop freeze up problems.

Another maintenance item would be to drain the carb and catch the contents to see if any dirt or water are in the bowl. I call it a Urine Sample. LOL

Good luck.

urednecku

Could be a broken plug wire. Years ago I had a pick-up with v-6 engine that did the same thing....run good for a while then start cutting out. FINALLY traced it down to 1 plug wire...it would spark across for a while & build up carbon (across the break), then the current would run the carbon until it burned out, then spark across again (missing) until carbon built up again. The dealer couldn't figure it out until it started missing all the time.

Good luck.