Utility Wagon/Trailer

pop58

Agree zoom, no lights or fenders. Don't need them.
I did see one of them atv trailers with the big floatation tires underneath with electric breaks.
You hook the wire up the the break light which apply's the break on the trailer.
That would sure help going down some hills.

I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer with electric breaks I pull with my truck and love them electric breaks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too like brakes on the road trailers. They're required by law here for any trailer over 3000#.

I don't care for the idea of brakes on woods trailers in my terrain. I never had them but I see the biggest problem is keeping them working properly considering the amount of mud and water they have to go through. Also, how do you adjust? Do you need to install a brake controller on the RTV?

BaiJiu

Trailers with outside wheels tend to be low bed trailers as well and if you are in rough terrain they have a tendency to hit the dirt at the back end. Especially if you are going through gully's.

pop58

My guess would be that you would have to adjust them at the wheel.

What ever I decide I think one with a wood bottom and sides would take the best beating and it's easier to replace wood instead of metal.

BaiJiu

I would try to get one with the wheels under the bed, even if you remove the fenders the tires will still snag on what ever happens to be near, straight sides can just rub along trees and things and just keep on moving.

pop58

Also agree with tires being under the unit and not sticking out the side.
Leaning towards something like zooms first picture.

pop58

Which would you think would work better, a trailer type or a wagon type?

atv7500atv.jpg
atv-wagon-tuff-7340.jpg

Not sure if the picture thing is working.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I definitely prefer the trailer. The wagon types are darn near impossible to back up connected to a RTV. A hay wagon can be backed up with a good driver and independent brakes but not so with something this small.

BTW, looking at the pics, the trailer type has the axles sitting more towards the back. Too damn cold to crawl under mine today but does this one allow you to move them forward? Mine are centered under the trailer. Yea, tongue weight is near zero but when you disconnect it, the tongue doesn't go to the ground as it's balanced.

BaiJiu

Go with the trailer type, no matter how you plan things you will always have to back them up at times. One of my trailers is the wagon type and it is a real pain in the a$$ to back up, it is however great for moving things around inside a barn, you can move it freely by hand in any direction and in the tightest of turns. Great for moving straw/hay bales etc.

pop58

I don't think the wheels/axles move forward but not 100% sure.

Ive pulled many trailers and can back them up with no problem but never pulled or backed up a wagon like the 2nd picture.

So then the 1st picture would be the better way to go or something of the sort in your opinion?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So then the 1st picture would be the better way to go or something of the sort in your opinion?
Absolutely!

Ive pulled many trailers and can back them up with no problem but never pulled or backed up a wagon like the 2nd picture.
Wagons are a completely different beast. I can back up most any size trailer with ease using just my rear-view mirrors but in my 50+ years, I still struggle with a wagon. They require a vehicle that can move its front end around in very sharp and quick fashion. Unless you have something like this tractor (with a suicide knob on the steering wheel and independent rear brakes), it's pretty difficult.

3253171_1_l.jpg

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unless you have something like this tractor (with a suicide knob on the steering wheel and independent rear brakes)
... and power steering if you are going to do it very often!

A coupe of design-geometry considerations:

The farther the towbar sticks out the back of the tow vehicle, the better the trailer responds to steering going backward.

And a design feature that is probably theoretical here: logging trucks have a towbar that extends halfway back to the trailer's axle. This makes the trailer track wide through a turn, exactly in the tire tracks of the tow vehicle. This is important for a long trailer on mountain switchbacks.

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Absolutely!

Wagons are a completely different beast.

/QUOTE]

Listen closely to bczooms statement. Hit's it on the nose.

Years ago, we hauled cotton out of the fields in cotton trailers. The cotton trailers was wagon style. That is all they had on the market at the that time.
We, and many others. Had hitches made on the FRONT of the farm trucks.
You can push a wagon trailer better AND GET IT THERE WHERE YOU WANT IT,
with the front of a truck, better than trying to back the monster up ....
That's a fact !!!

In the video, you can see the trouble one has with a wagon style trailer .....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0BxnPgXgw[/ame]

.......... two guns

Last edited:

pop58

Two Guns thanks for the video. OK the wagon is out.

Use to be in the Air Force and when moving the plains into the hanger bay to work on them it was the same problem.

For sure a trailer type it will be.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Use to be in the Air Force and when moving the plains into the hanger bay to work on them it was the same problem.
We never had that problem in the USMC back in the day. Our sh!t was on skids (and we didn't have the luxury of hangers).

Thanks for your service!

130429-N-ZZ999-001.JPG

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PS. Jamie's video hit it on the head. Wagons are a PITA and should be avoided unless necessary.

Glad it's not a consideration for you.