Looking for help deciding

mbwplw

Hello All. I've not posted here before, but have lurked a bit on other forums related to Kubota Tractors.

i'm trying to decide between two very good, but different options.

Option #1: 2011 RTV 1000 with 100 hours on it..great shape all around
Option #2: 2013 RTV-X900 no CAB, dump bed, spray liner, roof, windshield

The ride on the x900 is sooooo good. The price difference on these two options is just $1,200 and either one can be had for under $15,000 at the local dealer here. They are holding both options for me until Monday when i need to decide.

This rig is going to replace a 2002 Bayou 250 that is used for chores. I have a day job so this will be my wife's chore buddy during the week and mine on the weekends when I'm not running the tractor.

We have around 20 acres and need to manage hay for the horses and manure from the same.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
mbwplw, welcome to this wonderful forum! I believe the answers to you question is relative to the cab usage. I'd say that if you live in cold county, then by all means get the cab model. If not then you must consider the frequency that you will be in and out of the cab.

I live in west-central Arkansas where the climate is normally not very cold except for a few months. I personally would not want the cab because I'm in and out of the drivers seat a lot taking care of cattle, fences, etc. I have a 2011 RTV 900 XT that I am very please with its ability. There are times when I desire a windshield and one of these days I'll have one.

Now, if a smooth ride is required, get the new one, no questions asked. The RTV 1000 has a very stiff suspension that required slow traveling in semi-rough terrain.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mbwplw

Focusing on the cab makes sense.

I live in Southwest Missouri so we get quite a bit of weather. Spring and fall rains are normally 2 months long and then we have the July and August heat. We rarely drop below zero, but upper 30's and lower are quite common between December and February. The weather was my primary thought behind a cab.

When I went into the dealer today I brought a trailer and had every intention of buying that 1100 and driving it home. But because I'd never been in one I asked to drive it first. I was a bit surprised that it didn't top 15 mph in the parking lot, but i asked again and he confirmed that it would do 25 once it got up to speed.

Then like an idiot I asked to drive an RTV 500. And that is where it went downhill. It was zippy and smoother. But really not big enough.

And then the boom. This RTV x900. Alloy wheels, hydraulic dump bed, spray-on bed liner, roof, and windshield. And the ride...oh the ride.

And now i'm stuck...I want an RTV x1100 now.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
You'll likely never regret the decision to get the one that best fits your needs. I suspect the X1100 is close to $18k or more. Yep, that would be hard to justify for me. Hopefully, you can deduct the cost as a farm expense.

SW Missouri, that makes us neighbors, right?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to our forums. Great to see you post.

We've all been there. Available funds have a lot to do with which one we get. The heater and AC in the 1100 is a huge plus. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 900 or 1100. From my tractor buying experience I have to suggest to use the ole budget stretcher to get what you want and you will be happy for years that you did. Worked for me.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
First, let me Welcome you to the forum. We will help you in any way we can.

Now, to your option.

I work & hunt hard with our RTV 900. My dealer, dropped one off his personal 1100 at our place wanted me to test drive and see if I wanted the 1100 series RTV. It stayed here for over a week.
Please don't get me wrong. It's a wonderful machine. But the cab and doors in not for ME. Let me repeat myself, The 1100 is a great ride, but just don't fit my needs for what I use mine for ......
Everything seemed to be in the way. If somebody give me a 1100, I would just have to remove the doors.
Air / Heat would be nice if I didn't have to get right back out in the open air.
We are in and out of the RTV constantly doing or working on something. >>>>>

This is why they make the two different models. One to fit everybodys needs / wants. My needs are the 900, where somebody that pushes snow all the time with a snow blade would probobly want the cab heat.....

If it's not but 1200$ difference. Your already ahead of the game getting the 2013 model, for value reasons.....

Remember, get what YOUR needs are.

......... two guns

Attachments

• Two Guns Antique Tag.jpg
    Two Guns Antique Tag.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 150

kobe

Gotta go along with 2-Guns. I thought the ability to warm or cool the old body would be nice, but I use the RTV mostly for work. Cannot get much work done in the cab, so I will use the diesel truck if it gets below zero. Other then that, just dress warm. I plowed a lot of snow last week (Unusual in S/W Oregon) and was very comfortable with a pair of insulated boots and ranch gloves. Very likely the most used RTV 900 in the forum is member Bordercollie, and I think she will second my opinion on loss of utility with a cab and doors. I love my 900xt, and for me, it was the best way to go~~~~KOBE

mbwplw

Ok these are some really great thoughts.

When I drove the 1100 it felt like a tractor. And I really didn't like it.

The 900 though is one of the new x series, that might make it a 2014. It has the Independent Rear suspension and the improved transmission. It's the worksite model so it's a little flashier and more comfy.

Given that the x900 is $1,200 cheaper I think it might be the better buy with .6 hours on it.

The doors would likely be in the way for most of what we do. Except when we are moving horse manure and the RTV would be hauling it away and dumping it. Other than that the chores are feeding horses (in and out of the rig), working various material handlng, and running between the house and whatever section of fence we are currently working on.

So far the L3240 has been the work horse and we've used an ATV to run back and forth.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep I agree that the doors would be a nuisance 1/2 of the year with the tasks I do with the RTV. But the other half of the year it was darn cold with the wind whipping through the cab. So, I bought one of the vinyl cab covers with zipper doors and velcro. It work great at keeping the cold out. What a difference. Easy to put on too.

Here's a pic of mine with the cover. You have to take off the hard top roof to put this cover on but it is worth it. I plan to put something solid across the roof so that it does not sag. This pic does not have the velcro to hold the side flaps in place. I have that ordered but have not gotten it yet.

Attachments

• RTVvinylCover2.jpg
    RTVvinylCover2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 117

mbwplw

Today I called and asked them to prep the x900. I added a set of vinyl over metal doors, which should make a big difference in the cold. If it needs it I can always add a heater as well. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be and I with the price I'm getting I think I'm alright on my investment.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Today I called and asked them to prep the x900.

Great !!!
Now, what accessories do you want. There is a few to choose from !!!!

Scroll thew this thread and see what others has chosen.

That's half the fun, getting your " WORK TOY " ready !!!!

Attachments

• Christmas Possum.jpg
    Christmas Possum.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 111

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Gotta go along with 2-Guns. I thought the ability to warm or cool the old body would be nice, but I use the RTV mostly for work. Cannot get much work done in the cab, so I will use the diesel truck if it gets below zero. Other then that, just dress warm. I plowed a lot of snow last week (Unusual in S/W Oregon) and was very comfortable with a pair of insulated boots and ranch gloves. Very likely the most used RTV 900 in the forum is member Bordercollie, and I think she will second my opinion on loss of utility with a cab and doors. I love my 900xt, and for me, it was the best way to go~~~~KOBE

I agree with Kobe , Two Guns and pepr. A cab just won't work for me. Doors would be in the way for sure. A windshield sounds nicer every year though.. :) collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The thought above by Two Guns, Jamie, is pretty much what I go by when making a major purchase or a TOOL, which is what the RTV is to me. How are you going to use it? How does it function for what you do?..........

Yes, on video jobs for the Air Force, it is common to see the orange "things" with doors scooting around all over the place while the civilians, needing their comfort, do their variious tasks. Or, looking around at Shriner events, it is the "go to" machine for carrying around their various on-site necessities. Yes, the doors, heat, and AC are required MUST HAVES, for them........BUT...........for me, going into the woods to get wood, chase stock, spread fert, lime, seed.......carry wood supply from the wood shed to the house, pull the 16' dual axle trailer through the woods with the building supplies or fencing where a truck can't go, or go the 1/2 mile down the road to the mail box daily is the tool I need.

These are pretty much FUNCTIONS and how do YOU fulfill those NEEDS.........I don't care about how it looks or what the little do dads on it look like......DOES IT DO THE JOB THAT I NEED?............YES, it does for me, and so many others on here........Whether that job/need is as a parade vehicle, a runway run-around, a hay hauler, firewood shuffler, snow removal, or just somethin to sit out by the road to show off to the neighbors.......It's up to you to determine what YOU need.........God bless.......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great news on the purchase. :) Now you can look at our add on toys.,I mean accessories, that make work or the job at hand, more fun. They should be listed under the sticky somewhere. :).. I think I have benefited most from having my electrical add on switches at the ready mounted on the console. bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

Attachments

• Can 1.jpg
    Can 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 106
  • Can Instuctions.jpg
    Can Instuctions.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Can 2.jpg
    Can 2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Can 3.jpg
    Can 3.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Can 4.jpg
    Can 4.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Laughing Rat.gif
    Laughing Rat.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Two Guns, I didn't know you were an Artiste'. That is a good looking can of soup!!!- I can even tell it's Campbells !! :tiphat: Thank you. that made for a big smile on this long day on the farm.. collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I bought new 1100 in Texas - have 90 hours on it and love it - the cab is off the charts
Please don't get me wrong. If I didn't have to get in and out of our RTV so much, I would have a cab !!!
The cab is a big plus for many applications. Just not for mine.
I enjoyed the comfort of the cab while I was testing the machine.

....... Two Guns