240 D steering problem

point four

I have a yanmar 240 D with the factory FEL. The steering is very hard, particularly when the FEL is attached (even un-loaded). I have replaced the tie rod ends (not much improvement). Even without the FEL attached the steering is difficult. Any ideas or suggestions?

Mark777

WELCOME to NetTractorTalk Point Four!

You might want to talk with California as he has the duplicate model....but, it's not uncommon for anyone who has recently purchased a SCUT with 4WD and FEL that finds steering difficult. Sorry to say that it's the nature of the beast when equipped wihtout power steering.

If you feel there's a mechanical problem hindering your steering you may want to raise the front end, put jack stands under the front axle and operate your steering. There might be a mechanical problem in the ball-nut assembly, pitman arm or drag link.

Does your Yanmar have excessive free play in the steering wheel (more than 6")??

Mark

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Point Four, welcome!

I have the 2wd version, YM240, with a heavy loader.

The steering is impossibly heavy until I start rolling then it's very light. If the bucket is full of dirt it is a little stiff but not too difficult, for any speed above a crawl.

Sometimes when I have the bucket or front forks heavily loaded and I need to start out in a new direction, I force the bucket down to take the weight off the front end, turn the wheel, then lift the load and start off in the new direction.

Mark covered diagnosing a problem. I wonder if soft tires could also add steering effort.

point four

Thx Mark. I will try this over the weekend. The steering wheel has less than 6" of play. I am going to order a new drag link since the ball joits on each end are severely worn.

Point Four

point four

Thx California. You describe my steering difficulties better than I did. I will do as Mark suggested. I learned a couple of years ago to watch the front tire pressures. I have diamond tread turf tires that have a pretty good foot print even at full inflation.

Point Four

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I see you have turfs on the front. The wider the tire the more resistance you'll get turning the steering. There may also be a lube issue in the gear box.

point four

California,
I used the bucket to lift the front end this weekend as suggested by Mark. The steering is incredibly easy and light, however, the play is more than I had noticed when the wheels are on the ground. With some experimentation I noticed that left turns are harder than right turns. At this point I intend to replace the drag link and then replace or rebuild the steering box until I am satisfied that I have done what I can. Otherwise it looks it is what it is.

THX
Point Four

Eddie

I installed a Yanmar aftermarket power steering kit to my YM2020. Lost a little turning radius but sure did make mowing with the FEL installed a lot easier. Had a couple of issues with the plastic hoses but have them replaced with good ones now. Sure do love the way it handles with the PS.

Eddie

It came from Lens that post on the other Yanmar site, can't remember his last name, may be Shaffer. Maybe Mark will be by shortly and refresh my memory. He is a dealer. I bought it from a guy that bought it from him and the first bracket he tried to install didn't exactly fit so he quit and sold it for half price. Was still brand new.

Eddie

Here is one of the pictures I took as I was installing it.

Attachments

• View of Cylinder from Above.JPG
    View of Cylinder from Above.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 36

Mark777

DJM,

There should be a set screw with a locking nut on the outside of the steering box. This is a lash adjustment.

With no load (front end on jack stands) on the front axle you can loosen the lock nut and adjust the set screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn and that should help but there isn't alot of adjustment. The ball nut assembly and horizontal shaft is 'shim' loaded from the factory and it may be necessary to add or subtract from one side to the other.

Mark

point four

I know that there has been a time lapse, but its getting close to mowing time again. I did recieve a price from Sheaffer's for the ps conversion for my 240D. Its kind of pricey (I guess) but I'm still thinking about it. I remove the FEL when I mow because I have a lot of trees, etc. that I have to dodge. With PS I figure I can mow in one gear higher.

THX for the info

I had a 245DT and the steering on it was a bit tough with a loader. wound up pushing the lower bearing right out of the steeringbox. I wound up putting some pickup tires up front that were good traction tires, weren't as good as the original tires for traction, but sure made the steering much easier and they wore forever. On most ground as far as traction, you couldn't tell the difference.