Tips, Tricks and Ideas on quieting a noisy Kubota

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
I have a 2009 Kubota 1100 and it's noisy as all get out. I would greatly appreciate (and I'm sure others will also) ideas anyone may have to quiet it down a bit. The entire machine is noisy, not just the engine, so this thread will need to address all noise issues, not just those of a loud exhaust.

Ideas?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TwoGuns put some sort of archery limb quieter device on his which has helped. Hopefully he'll chime in and elaborate.

I tried lining the underside of the bed with 1" polyisocyanurate foam board. It wasn't dense enough to accomplish anything.

I put a 1" rubber stall mat in the bed which helped the noise a bit. If weight is an issue, don't use this approach as it was pretty heavy. I ended up taking it out since firewood wouldn't slide out as easily as a hard surface. Also would need bolted down so it doesn't move or slide out when dumping.

Do you have a sound meter app for your cell phone? There's some free ones out there. I'd consider using that and take readings from different locations to see if there's specific areas that could use noise suppression more than others.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I also had a stall mat in my RTV1100 which worked great and was cut so it fit tight and would not move when dumping the box.

Wrapped my exhaust with exhaust wrap that everyone uses for cars. It was the 2" wide stuff.

Valve adjustment might help quiet the engine noises. Set to .005-.007 th clearance on both intake and exhaust.

Loose pieces like the safety bar for the hoist may be causing noise, remove it and see it that makes any difference.

Any attachments like trailer hitches can be a rattle that transmits throughout the machine.

Finally, I found both the 900 and 1100 noisy because of the diesel engine but soon got to ignoring it.

You will never make it as quiet as a gas engine no matter what you do to the machine!

Ear plugs for the humans also works very well.;)

On the plus side they sip fuel and run for ever.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think my 2011 model is quieter because of the spray in bedliner....The receiver rattles but then I put some heavy grease on the thing and that helped a bit. Also, check the muffler and fan guard . They rattle sometimes but can be adjusted a bit to take care of it.. good luck squerly . bordercollie

TRIBUTE100

Noise reduction

I'm going to try the exhaust wrap, maybe some of that dynamat stuff under the dump bed and behind the seat, and some foam to plug the holes around the seat belt anchors.
A few things I've done already:
*drove a cedar shim in the receive hitch
*put some adhesive silicone bumper 'spots' around the latch on the tailgate
*cut off the spark arrestor on the tailpipe and added the following I got from
jackssmallengines.com :
p/n 5S1500H Model 5S Quiet Muffler-adapter Clamp-on
p/n 5S5500 Resonator
p/n 5S6512 Diffuser Discs (installed 6 discs)
used a flexible s/s exhaust hose (1-1/2in) and exhaust pipe hangers
bought at Autozone.
* 3/4in stall mat for dump bed bought at Tractor Supply. Cost $40, cut
to fit, notched at corner so it won't slip out. Weighs 100Lbs before cut