Tire Chains--Diamond or standard

RealtreeRTV

Last winter was the 1st for my rtv900 with worksite tires, and even with weight in the back I could have used more traction at times.

I'm going to be plowing for a friend a half mile down the road this winter and want to get a set of chains for it. I won't be on any pavement. (I ripped some plywood to get in and out of the garage)
I'll start by snowblowing until the ground freezes and then plan on using the buggy after that.
Not sure which type of chains to get, diamond or reg. type.

If you run chains please feel free to chime in with your 2 cents

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/products/25x10x12-diamond-v-bar
http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product14.html

Thanks,
JEFF

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm.

I'm old school so I don't have any experience with the diamond pattern. I also don't have any experience with the V-bars but personally, I don't know if I like them. Unlike a regular chain, it appears whatever those hit will get torn to pieces. Also could pick up loose items?

You're running the worksite tires so I don't believe it would be an issue but also wonder how well the diamond pattern can fit nice and snug over more aggressive tread.

RealtreeRTV

I can't seem to find regular chains without the v-bars or studs for ATV's.

The only regular twisted chains I found were for garden tractors and I didn't think they would handle the torque of the RTV.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't seem to find regular chains without the v-bars or studs for ATV's.

The only regular twisted chains I found were for garden tractors and I didn't think they would handle the torque of the RTV.
Now that you mention it, I looked online and it appears that all ATV chains are now diamond studded or V-bar. That's news to me.

I read on some chain sites that the V-bar is not recommended for paved surfaces.

Now I'm confused as well...

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I run the v bar in a conventional pattern for my pickup and the diamond style v bar for my backhoe. They are the best thing going when it gets icy or real deep snow. They will scratch asphalt but the RTV is not that heavy even with the bed loaded. When the snow gets deep you will be glad you have them. I run mine on all 4 wheels most of the time.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have never broke any on my pickup in 16 years and they have seen some hard use. I have broke a few of the attachment hooks on the cross chains on the backhoe but the vendor replaced them. They were Chinese and too hard. They also catch hell when you are spinning the wheels of a 17,500 lb. machine.

oldhat

Site Supporter
I used the diamond last winter and liked them. They are a little harder to put on than standard chains but not mutch.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
muleman:
do you run your rtv with chains on all 4 wheels? what type chains do you use? I have a rtv 1100 with worksite tires and am thinking of some sort of chain this winter for on/off road/trail use here in sw Pa.

oldhat

Site Supporter
I had the chains only on the rear of my 1100 to plow snow and it would almost crawl up a tree. never any hint of getting stuck. Plowed most snow in 2WD.

RealtreeRTV

Thanks for the input folks!

I'm going to go with the diamond type and just the rear for now.
I've read other comments about plowing in 2WD, so as much as I hate to say it,
LET IT SNOW!

Thanks again!

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
muleman:
do you run your rtv with chains on all 4 wheels? what type chains do you use? I have a rtv 1100 with worksite tires and am thinking of some sort of chain this winter for on/off road/trail use here in sw Pa.
My RTV stays in the barn all winter unless it warms up. Mine is open cab and when it is nasty I like a cab and preferably with heat. I use my skid steer with just plexiglass sides I made and no cab but I only clean up around the house and haul wood to the boiler with it. The truck and backhoe both have great heaters.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
thanks for the response muleman. thinking i'll look for a set of chains for the rear wheels of my rtv for this winter. my 4x4 backhoe with industrial tires is pretty much helpless on snow and ice--all 4 wheels just sit there and spin and polish the ice nice and smooth.

Mark.Sibole

plus if you need extra weight for traction good sources tell me she is available and will travel.
attachment.php

BaiJiu

Realtree did you purchase these chains, if so which ones and how did they work out for you.

RealtreeRTV

No, I haven't bought any yet.
What I have done is dropped the tire pressures down from 20 psi. to 14 psi in all four tires.
It has made a huge improvement. I plowed 5 or 6 inches the other day for a neighbor and myself and didn't need 4wd at all.

Running about the same ballast weight as last year. app. 250 lbs. in the rear of the box.
I'm still experimenting and may drop the inflation a couple more psi.
I know if I go to far I would have trouble, but so far big improvement and no downsides that I can see. I'm also not traveling very far or fast either.(and cold enough that the tires can't heat up)
Maybe some of the more experienced RTVers may have played with this and will chime in.

Thanks
JEFF

BaiJiu

Thanks Realtree, I ordered a set of standard "V" chains from Amazon.ca for $64, I am going to give them a try, It is so icy here now even chained up my tractor keeps slipping sideways on even the slightest of slopes. If they don't work on the RTV I can always switch them to my Quad.