Super K is puking oil! Help!

cpsseals

I've noticed some engine oil leaking from the RTV1100. I crawled in, under, over and through and can't get to the exact point its coming from. So far I've narrowed it down to just left of the crank, maybe just below or above. It's very hard to see in this area due to the hydraulic reservoir being right there. Has anyone else encountered this issue and does anyone have any advice?

I used a mirror to get a better look at the area but still cant get in there deep enough.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Just a guess, but the oil pan gasket is right in that area.

Loose bolts or blown out gasket.

If it's the left side of the engine, the exhaust is on that side, driver side as some say, there is a small rubber plug about 3 inches above the oil pan gasket surface up on the engine block itself. The oil sender is toward the front of it, and the rubber plug is located about 6 to 8 inches back from the front of the engine on the left side 3 inches above the oil pan gasket surface. And as I said oil sender is in front of it closer to the front of the engine.

I removed mine to install the return line for a turbo, that is why I know it is there.

Anyway if that come out it would leak there as well.

Good luck.

cpsseals

Looks like it might be the main seal on the crank. Tough to be sure without taking the pulley off but it's real close and the oil might be weeping on the right side a bit too. It's all happening within 1/4 of an inch from the crank shaft.
But I'm going out to check the rubber plug your talking about Spud, thanks!

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
[/ATTACH]check your oil filter the oder 1100 have remote oil filter thay can leak and lose you oil
like I did!! had rebuild the engine at 370 hrs
check all fittings on remote oil filter have not come lose.
my hose from the engine block to filter can lose and lost all oil

the bolt holds the cover plate where oil filter screws on engine block check that cover plate on the engine block and the hose is all tight
good luck

Attachments

• WP_000487.jpg
    WP_000487.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 146
  • WP_000488.jpg
    WP_000488.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 148

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
By the way, that rubber plug I speak of is for a dipstick on the left side of the engine. These engines are used for lots of stuff and come in different configurations. Some with dipsticks on the left and some on the right. Cool eh!

Crank seal should be replaceable with the engine in location if it's the front one. Rear seal a totally different story.

You probably have found the cause. Clean everything real good, start her up, watch and look for leak. Or short 5 min test ride and look. Just to be sure.

A little flour on the clean engine before starting will help show up the leak real quick. You'll need your Mothers permission and it has to be Robin Hood. LOL

cpsseals

The culprit is the crank seal. Started to take her apart yesterday just to be thwarted by the pulley bolt. I can get a 24 mm socket/breaker bar on it but there's no way I can keep the pulley from turning. I tried to use a strap wrench on the pulley. No room for an impact wrench between the pulley and the hydraulic reservoir. AAaarrrrrgggghhh!

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Old fan belt bolted to a piece of hockey stick, wrap loose end around pulley and vise grip the loose end to the hockey stick, just might hold it.

Crude, but something like this;

When you stop laughing, give it a try.

Attachments

• Pulley Holder.jpg
    Pulley Holder.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

RealtreeRTV

Impact wrench?
-or-
If you could get to the ring gear on the flywheel, you could hold it with a bar.
Even if you had to pull the starter, it would allow you to keep flywheel stationary.

Hope this helps!

cpsseals

Update...
Drove 3 hours round trip to pick up the seal. Had to drain and remove the hydraulic tank, use an impact wrench and a special pulley tool borrowed from a friend. Used another borrowed tool to remove the pulley. Then the fun, the seal is covered by a dust cover that had some sand trapped in it. This wore threw the seal. Kubota didn't tell me there was another cover and a no-ring and didn't sell them to me. Was able to polish the damage out of the dust cover and salvage the o-ring.
It all went together well and is holding back the fresh batch of synthetic oil nicely. All tallied it took about 7 hours. The dealer quoted 5 hours but there was a tow ban on the highway due to extremely poor winter roads so taking Super K there wasn't possible.
She's back in duty and clearing snow again.
Thanks for all your input and I'm now looking for old hockey sticks to have on standby.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Update...
Thanks for all your input and I'm now looking for old hockey sticks to have on standby.

Glad you are back on the road Bud.........What do hockey sticks have to do with clearing snow?????? Is it a north country thing that this ol southern guy has no idea as to what you are talking about?..........God bless........Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
What do hockey sticks have to do with clearing snow?????? that this ol southern guy has no idea as to what you are talking about?..........God bless........Dennis

Scroll down about six post and look at picture, you will see where the Hockey stick comes into play .....

.......... jamie