1140 glass windsheild and metal roof

ccmdvl1960

I have wanted an RTV 1140 since they came out and I will have saved up enough to buy one this spring. I will be selling or trading in my Gator 6x4 and Mule 2510. From all I have read, I would like to go with a glass windshield which means I have to get the metal roof (it is not compatible with the plastic roof). Does anyone have any detailed photos of how the metal roof and glass windshield attach to the ROPS?

What have folks been paying for 1140's as of late? I think 2014 will probably be the last year for this style before they are redesigned. One dealer quoted me $15k for an orange 1140 with WS tires, metal roof and glass windshield. He said he might be able to do a little better than that when I am ready to buy. MSRP from the website IIRC is about $17,700.

Thanks in advance for any information!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum !!!

Let me see if I have any pictures of this. They mount with rubber bushings / pads and u-bolts that hold on to the ROPS ...

...... two guns

P.S.
Pic with yellow stick. That is Windshield Brackets that bolts on to the frame
Bottom pic shows
Middle pic you can see how the roof is attached

Attachments

• Rack 1.jpg
    Rack 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Rack 2B.jpg
    Rack 2B.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 100
  • rack 3.jpg
    rack 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 100

ccmdvl1960

Thanks for the photos, Two Guns. Do you have any photos of where the roof and windshield meet?

Does anyone know if the 1140 steel roof is one or two pieces?

CarrotRentals

Here are some photos of my 1140cxp with the 'factory' installed Curtis windshield and metal roof. Hope this helps. For my needs this set up is best although there are a few things to consider. This set up is heavy. You may want to ask about the total weight of the package. I can not quantify it but it does somewhat effect top speed. There are aftermarket options.

Attachments

• image-792971807.jpg
    image-792971807.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1567556144.jpg
    image-1567556144.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-635355848.jpg
    image-635355848.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2527063559.jpg
    image-2527063559.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3833698837.jpg
    image-3833698837.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 75

ccmdvl1960

Thanks, that is great. It answers a lot of questions. The only other glass aftermarket windshield I have seen is the one the looks like a double-hung window. Everything else that I have seen is some form of plastic. Do you find that you tilt the Kubota windshield out for ventilation or not?

How about a wiper? Does it make sense to have a wiper without having doors?

CarrotRentals

Here are my observations after a year of use. At first I did not have a wiper but have now ordered one, if you are going to operate the unit in the rain you will need it. I have not needed it with solid percipitation. The unit is much more comfortable to operate with temps below 50 degrees with the windshield and in the winter it can be operated with standard outdoor attire. In the summer I operate with the glass vents open but the vent does not really create a breeze in the cabin so you loose out on a bit of a cooling effect.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Down here, there were several folks who went to a welder/fabricator, machine shop or a (boat manufacturing company, which we have many to choose from
in Louisiana) and got them to make them a top. Made out of aluminum, cost was not to bad. Lightweight and durable ....

...... two guns

Attachments

• Squeezed Dong.jpg
    Squeezed Dong.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 67

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, the wiper is just another doodad.......We drive in the rain, fog, and mist a lot up here on top of the hill. I guess it would matter if I was road legal and got out there and did above 30MPH. As it is, we seldom hit a tree or go in the ditch on the road or in the woods. Yes, we do check on erosion control projects in the rain...HARD....to see how stuff is draining down the hills so vision is necessary; but again, we surely are NOT setting speed records so it's easy to see around the drops........

The vent is nice for cleaning off the fog/mist that gets inside of the windshield at times and yes, it does set up a little bit of a breeze when going up or down the road.....Necessary, NO.......but nice to have as it comes with the glass.......

For me, the glass works really well. Some will say that it is a hazard waiting to happen; but we go through oak and hickory brush in the woods and no, we aren't setting land speed records or jumping logs. In fact, probably slower than a walk. Stuff the size of a wrist is avoided on the shield; but finger size branches just brush aside.

Someone posted about his kids taking his new machine out and it came back with the glass broken and the metal top bent up.........For me, NOBODY drives MY machine that way......Maybe you will??????.........If that's the case plastic is your deal....I have a plastic sun roof/shade on my tractor and it has been repaired umpteen times with epoxy from branches and trees in the woods......Metal doesn't repair as easily as plastic.....Don't know why I don't get the problem with the RTV as I do with the tractor; but have never had a situation with the RTV roof........
Have ridden motorcycles for a very looooong time. Plastic wind screens are used there and THEY SCRATCH easily and the scratches do NOT come out......Glass doesn't do that so for me, it is preferred.........on and on......God bless......Dennis

ccmdvl1960

I have a plexiglass windshield on my Mule now. One of the issues I have is in the winter, if I leave it outside overnight, frost will form on plexiglass. I can't really scrape it off like I could with glass, so I end up sticking my head out the side of the machine if I need to use the machine before the sun comes out. This is rare, however.

The hard thing to stomach is the cost of the Kubota/Curtis metal top ($773) and glass windshield ($762) when I could probably get away for under $700 for a plastic top and windshield. Then again, I plan on keeping this machine for at least 20 years.

Here is a picture of my current machines, by the way. The Mule is a 2000 and the Gator is a 1993. I am thinking of a starting price of $4450 for the Mule and $3950 for the Gator if I sell outright. Not sure what the dealer would do on a trade, yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 61