Filter kits

Cassey

All - as I mentioned on another thread, I want to baseline my filter changes on my RTV900. (Short story: Had the dealer do this before, but lost my records, and economics now require me to do this myself).

Found this guy on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KUBOTA-OEM-RTV900-FILTER-MAINTENANCE-KIT-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/200672788601

Which didn't seem to bad. All Kubota parts. Should I stick this Kubota filters? I noticed the dealer used NAPA brands and don't want to be wasting money...

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That doesn't seem like a bad deal. I think that kit normally sells for $75.

I've always used the OEM filters. Is it worth the time to cross-reference all of these parts to NAPA equivalents?

Cassey

That, of course, is the question! <smile> Also of course, I wouldn't be doing the cross reference, I'd like the parts store do it! Next time I'm in town, I may ask them just to see.

Oh, it appears the air filter cleans up pretty well using a compressor. Any reason to replace it? That appears to run over $18 just by itself.

I got a laugh when reading the various kit ads on the web. "Save money by buying the kit!" Yeah, about 35 cents... not much of a bargain if you don't need even one of the filters (thus the question about the air filter).

Totally unrelated: but I presume its not against policy to post web links, or to drop a reference to the site in my blog. If so, please let me know and I'll comply.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Casey, It you get you a homemade air intake or buy one of the fancy ones, you won't hardly ever need to change the air filter. I work and live on a farm too and at 1400 hrs, have changed my air filter only once. I gently blow it out a few times in between, because strong pressure can knock a hole in the paper filter . There are some threads on here about the air intakes both homemade and bought. The trouble is the little oem intake box is in a terrible location on all but the new models out this year.. Finally, they :kubota: listened to us and moved it. collie

edit : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14070&highlight=intake

Cassey

Cool cool idea that never occurred to me. Use to build large aquariums and have a lot of PVC experience, this should be a snap.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Cassey,

I did the same thing you did when I first got my RTV.

Then realized it was a waste of time.

Go to the dealer, get your filters and HST oil and use whatever engine oil you prefer.

Kubota designed the oil UDT, SUDT, SUDT2 for their HST transmissions. As far as I can figure the UDT is for warmer conditions, like summer and southern states. SUDT was upgraded to SUDT2 a year or so ago and is made for the colder climates. In Canada they call it Premium UDT.

I figured that their filters must be good because they match their specs and whomever makes them must meet or exceed their requirements. Kubota doesn't make filters.

The oil is the same and given the delicate parts inside the HST like the swash plates, valves and other high wear items, Kubota has come up with a blend that best meets those needs. Using anything else may not give problems in the near future but long term, things may wear out faster. Owners here have reported over 4,000 hours of use from the engines/transmission which is amazing.

I went with Mobil 1 15-40 Diesel oil for the engine, which is a full synthetic. If long haul truckers use it that was good enough for me.

Probably the most import thing, follow the maintenance schedule.

Here is a spreadsheet I was using. Replace each X with the date and hours that you do the maintenance and you're good to go.

Can't upload a spreadsheet so made a jpg. If anyone wants the spreadsheet version, just PM me.

My 2 cents.

Attachments

• RTV 1100 Maint.jpg
    RTV 1100 Maint.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 109

Cassey

Yeah... I've pretty much made up my mind to just use Kubota filters, initially via the kit. Not a lot of savings there.

Went shopping for Diesel engine oil yesterday and decided to stick with the 10W-30 the owners manual stated. Since it was 15F out, during the day, I was a bit concerned about moving up to a 15W-40 weight oil.

On transmission oil, I'm getting really confused:

The JD site indicates that their Hy-Gard fluid meets or exceeds the SUDT standard. Yet I saw some store-brand $23/5 gallon stuff claim "Meets JD 20 A/B (Hy-Gard)" standards.

I'm under the impression JD Hy-Gard is their J20C spec? That would make sense, since it came after their J20 A/B stuff.

The J20D rating is their low-vis (e.g. cold weather) version. Likely similar to SUDT2?

And then to top it off, some JD websites say "Hy-Gard" is a SUDT substitute, others just claim UDT, which is scary.

My issue is that my "local" Kubota dealer is a 2 hour drive - each way. That said, I sometimes find myself in that town, but seldom during store hours. So I'm just looking for a more available substitute.

Has anyone checked in with MFA? I may send them an e-mail and see what they have.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm cutting and pasting this post of mine from another thread here since we are talking about filters here too. I think it ties in.

Casey, It has been my experience - which does not necessarily mean it is right - that JD 15w40 motor oil worked great in my RTV's engine. The '05 I had ,had no blow by and used no oil even when I sold it at 4200+ hrs. I use it in my "new " 2011 model with the same 902 engine as well. I changed the oil like recommended. I will use a Wix filter but no other off brand on the engine. They are almost the same price as the oem filters..at least here. I will only use Kubota filters on the transmission. If you go with a cheap transmission oil, you may not have the additives to provide wear "protection". Last time I was at the bota place , the salesman pushed a bucket of the cheap "Gold Bond" or something like that.. stuff.. saying it worked just fine and had had no complaints. Well , I can give him some!! -- strange annoying noises etc.. I had wondered about the JD Hygard but I doubt I would try it- it would cost about the same ...but would be more convenient.. but the doubt would be there. bordercollie

BaiJiu

I agree with bordercollie, although I don't think we have to go with OEM lubes and filters I do agree with high end lubes and filters. I also believe you should cut your filters after use to see what they are doing for you. I've had some that tell me they are doing their jobs and others that tell me to find a better solution.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think we have to go with OEM lubes and filters I do agree with high end lubes and filters..

Surely NOT to be rude here, and you do what you please it's your equipment; BUT......After reading a few horror stories on here over the years about using NON Kubota filters and fluids I for one stick to what they sell.........Messicks by the way, a supporter here, will ship you fluids and filters at a price that is competetive with local dealers, even including the freight.

As Border Collie has pointed out, Kubota specifies what their products are and to what level of quality. Sorry, but JD could care less if their stuff comes up to SUDT2, they just want to sell.
I live on a pretty good grade, a friend came over the other day that runs non-Kubota filters and fluids.........His trans bogged down and I left him behind on the 1/2 mile run up my private road........Both empty and then with loads of wood coming out of my fire wood lot........
Again, NOT to be rude; but for ME and others on here that swear by using Kubota products, I will stick with the known...........
NO......I am not some shill for going with what the factory says, just because they say it.........BUT I do, in this particular case, KNOW from experience and the experience of watching others on here and in real life with failures and longevity that Kubota makes some very fine fluids and filters...........

OFF MY SOAP BOX........God bless........Dennis

urednecku

No experience with the utv's, but with my M7040 tractor I stick with the 'Bota filters. The hydro fluid seemed clean last couple times service hours came around, so I just changed filters & added what fluid I lost to the hydro system. Used "AMALIE" brand oil, which is what the bulk fuel dealer sells, which specifies to 'meet or exceed' most brands of fluids (which it does list.)
What I DID notice was the hydro seems slower than when it was newer. (Only ~1050 hours on her now, so it's a long way from being worn out.) Last time I changed filters, ~ 25 hours ago, I went back to the UDT fluid (only about 3 gallons that I lost changing the filters) & it seems to have gained some of that speed back, so next service I'll probably change the fluid also & go back to the UDT only. Yes, it costs a little more, but think it'll be worth it.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No experience with the utv's, but with my M7040 tractor I stick with the 'Bota filters. The hydro fluid seemed clean last couple times service hours came around, so I just changed filters & added what fluid I lost to the hydro system. Used "AMALIE" brand oil, which is what the bulk fuel dealer sells, which specifies to 'meet or exceed' most brands of fluids (which it does list.)
What I DID notice was the hydro seems slower than when it was newer. (Only ~1050 hours on her now, so it's a long way from being worn out.) Last time I changed filters, ~ 25 hours ago, I went back to the UDT fluid (only about 3 gallons that I lost changing the filters) & it seems to have gained some of that speed back, so next service I'll probably change the fluid also & go back to the UDT only. Yes, it costs a little more, but think it'll be worth it.

I recently, on my B7610 did a transmission/FEL fluid change, because of hours, and put in SUDT2........A real difference for sure........I could NOT before lift my bucket out of a gravel pile through and with a full load.......NOW it zips straight up.......Before I had some small stumps that I hooked a chain to in order to pull them out.......NOW.......Just chugged them right out with NO problem........

For me, it makes a difference and is worth the cost......God bless.......Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
although I don't think we have to go with OEM lubes and filters I do agree with high end lubes and filters. QUOTE]

I got to say this :::: ( with respect :Tip-Hat2:)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!

........... two guns

Attachments

• Turned to Stone 1.jpg
    Turned to Stone 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 75

Mark.Sibole

Just my opinion buttttttt if you spent all of your hard earned money on the Kubota for the quality of it why skimp on fluids.You may save 40 to 50 bucks a year in fluid changes with other brands but i look at as 50 a year insurance policy to be sure nothing goes wrong.I only use Kubots filters and fluids here.My 900 is 10 years old and trust me I put it through a lot more than most from Hauling tons of wood.Hunting and plowing over 200 inches of snow a year at my place and dads and its still going strong.Starts every time still has tons of power and fluids always come out clean.The extra money for Kubota fluids are a good insurance policy as i stated.Just my opinion.