Hi from connecticut

irwin

I've been wondering where some of the real talent went to. Did some web browsing one day (when I was bored)

I find Farmwithjunk, Dougster, MtnViewRanch, Bindian, Mark777, jbrumberg, Grrr, and other names that seem to be familiar from some other TractorP0#n site.

I've spent what little time I have lately perusing this site, nice forum, good people.

I'm in my fifties, always wanted more than the acre I had (half of that was steep!)., so the new wife and I sold our houses and bought an old farm house last sept. (built in 1850) 7 acres, fairly level, not flat, but most of it will be safe for a tractor. This summer I cleared enough to get a horse ring started, built a fairly cheap horse barn, moved several tons of new england rocks, fabbed a subframe for a 3pt backhoe I bought, dug out more then a few stumps, cut a few cords of firewood, moved the wife's horse here and we bought another one ..out of all that I learned something important.........man was I outta shape! Desk jobs arent the best way to get aerobic exercise..:rolleyes: Oh yeah also learned that I like tractor work the bestest, put many hours on my older Deere 770 with a cheap (but made solid) Taylor way backhoe (hanging off the back) welded to a home made subframe (and it looks it.;) )

I spend way more time reading than I do posting (my work life is a lot of typing), But I do type when I have something to say.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Aboard Irwin!

be sure to post more pictures!

Jim

Nice to have you over here as well Irwin. I think that you will find that it is a little more relaxed over here at NTT.:thumb: You don't need to tip toe quite so much here as you do over at TBN. We all hope that you like it here and will contribute when ever you feel that you can.

Hey, what is it like living in a 157 year old house?:wave:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Irvin. Good detective work!!! I'm glad you found us. I used to be on TBN but was banned a couple of years ago when I started ForumsForums. So, I really missed the dedicated tractor talk so I started NTT in April of this year. We've had good growth thanks to the good folks we already have here and the reputation they've built on other forums. I feel lucky to have you all here.
I know exactly what you mean about the lack of aerobic activity you get with a desk job.
Enjoy and post often! :thumb:

Bindian

Irwin,
Glad you made it over.:wave: How about some pics of your Taylor BH and home made mount?:waiting:
hugs, Brandi

Mark777

Hey Irwin,

Nice to see you on NTT. Always enjoyed your posts and looking forward to more. Beautiful place you have (looking pass the horses and JD LOL).

Mark

Howdy!

Glad you made it here. This site is a very friendly place. And as an added bonus, there's no sense of "one-upsmanship" that says we have to pretend the rest of the internet doesn't exist. There's a great core group here and you'll fit right in. :Tip-Hat2:

Bill

larryRB

NTT is increasing numbers at a good rate now. There are quite a few that are Connecticut, and lower Mass, eastern NY state, We'll all have to get together someday for lunch. A few years back, Junkman started that on TBN, and we had a monthly get together that always had 6 or more show up, Was a nice lunch and we talked tractors, property and the likes,

Dougster

Old Member
I've been wondering where some of the real talent went to. Did some web browsing one day (when I was bored).
Welcome aboard Irwin! :) You've come to the right place! :thumb: This is where the good, intelligent, fun conversations are happening in the tractor world these days! That certain other site had just become too unwieldy, too ugly, too boring and too cumbersome for me. It simply wasn't fun there anymore... so Larry clued me in and I came over here. The rest is history! :beer:

I didn't even know that there were 7 flat acres in all of Connecticut! The parts where I drive through are all like rollercoasters! :poke: Are you closer to the coast or closer to Massachusetts? :confused:

I love driving through Connecticut (where the GF's family lives), but your gasoline taxes kinda limit that enjoyment! ;) I'd probably live there too if the taxes weren't completely through the roof. That luxury must fall to you and Larry and the others here with very deep pockets!!! :eek:

Again, welcome aboard!!! We gonna get snow this weekend or what? :snow:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
NTT is increasing numbers at a good rate now. There are quite a few that are Connecticut, and lower Mass, eastern NY state, We'll all have to get together someday for lunch. A few years back, Junkman started that on TBN, and we had a monthly get together that always had 6 or more show up, Was a nice lunch and we talked tractors, property and the likes,
I say we hold them at your palatial lakefront resort. :mrgreen: It's the closest thing I know to going on a real vacation! ;)
I'll bring the sandwiches! :eek: :badidea: :no: :forgetit:
Dougster

jbrumberg

irwin:

Welcome to NTT:mrgreen: :Tip-Hat2: . I agree with many of the sentiments stated here alluding to other site(s):mad2: . I got 1.75" of snow last night:letitsnow: . The different weather services are forecasting a snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain event :umbrella: ending with snow on Monday. I have been checking the upper air data all week. The pattern does not support a big snow event, but I bet it will be more frozen than wet for western parts of the region. Jay

PS: I am a weather geek;).

irwin

Well this is sure a nice howdo, thanks for the welcome all. I'll try to visit and post often. :Tip-Hat2:

I should be working on some downed trees, 'septing I got this flu that's been plagueing lots of folks around here, so I'm wrapped up near the woodstove drinking lots of non-adult liquids, allowing my brain to melt under the gentle puree of tv. I'm so bored, but the last time I pushed myself too hard when sick it turned into pneumonia. I'm in and staying here.

Bindian, I think a got a poor picture of the subframe while building it.. but I think I'll wait til I take some after pictures..it's not pretty but it's a solid platform...ooh what the heck, here just don't make fun of my rough abilities.:ohmy:
.... ... ..

irwin

Hey, what is it like living in a 157 year old house?:wave:

I'm very happy, the previous owner spent a fortune insulating and up -grading. The entire roof is less than 12 years old (not just the shingles) it's not a big place (1300+ sq ft) it has a homey feel to it, although the first time I saw all the rocks that make up the foundation I wasn't so sure..but a high priced inspector gave it a big thumbs up.

Bindian

Well this is sure a nice howdo, thanks for the welcome all. I'll try to visit and post often. :Tip-Hat2:

I should be working on some downed trees, 'septing I got this flu that's been plagueing lots of folks around here, so I'm wrapped up near the woodstove drinking lots of non-adult liquids, allowing my brain to melt under the gentle puree of tv. I'm so bored, but the last time I pushed myself too hard when sick it turned into pneumonia. I'm in and staying here.

Bindian, I think a got a poor picture of the subframe while building it.. but I think I'll wait til I take some after pictures..it's not pretty but it's a solid platform...ooh what the heck, here just don't make fun of my rough abilities.:ohmy:
.... ... ..
Irwin,
When I was in airframe & powerplant school:read: in the welding class, my instructor took my welding project when I was finished and threw it down on the ground. He then said if it stayed together, it passed. It looked ugly, but my project passed. Looks like your's passes also.:thumb:
hugs, Brandi

irwin

I didn't even know that there were 7 flat acres in all of Connecticut! The parts where I drive through are all like rollercoasters! :poke: Are you closer to the coast or closer to Massachusetts? :confused:

I love driving through Connecticut (where the GF's family lives), but your gasoline taxes kinda limit that enjoyment! ;) I'd probably live there too if the taxes weren't completely through the roof. That luxury must fall to you and Larry and the others here with very deep pockets!!! :eek:

Again, welcome aboard!!! We gonna get snow this weekend or what? :snow:

Dougster

hiya all
Dougster, Jay, Bill, Larry, Mark, Jim, Doc, JDFANATIC.

I'm just south of Plainfield, ct..(where the Dogtrack use to be)
so I'm along what the New London Day newspaper said was the best route for a family road trip. Hope not too many try it out, we get light traffic, I would like it to stay this way.

I just got a link to this site..http://www.live.com/?searchonly=true&mkt=en-us ..was able to see my land up close, much better than Global Earth. Type an address and click on maps, then click on birds eye view, not all places can be seen with birds eye view, but was surprized how many places I could see. I'm sure you web savy folks already know this but...:whistle:

Just for the record Jay and Doug. I'm not ready for snow! Ok, got that off my chest, phew.

As for a tractor talk get-together, sounds alright by me. Will have to abide by my curfew though.:thumb:

irwin

Irwin,
When I was in airframe & powerplant school:read: in the welding class, my instructor took my welding project when I was finished and threw it down on the ground. He then said if it stayed together, it passed. It looked ugly, but my project passed. Looks like your's passes also.:thumb:
hugs, Brandi

How sweet of you to try Brandi,;)....:wave: but I know it could be better.. right now I'm just glad it works...functionality achieved.:applause:

I'm very happy, the previous owner spent a fortune insulating and up -grading. The entire roof is less than 12 years old (not just the shingles) it's not a big place (1300+ sq ft) it has a homey feel to it, although the first time I saw all the rocks that make up the foundation I wasn't so sure..but a high priced inspector gave it a big thumbs up.

Your place sure looks nice to me, thanks for the pic.:tiphat:

Dougster

Old Member
hiya all
Dougster, Jay, Bill, Larry, Mark, Jim, Doc, JDFANATIC.

I'm just south of Plainfield, ct..(where the Dogtrack use to be)
so I'm along what the New London Day newspaper said was the best route for a family road trip. Hope not too many try it out, we get light traffic, I would like it to stay this way.

I just got a link to this site..http://www.live.com/?searchonly=true&mkt=en-us ..was able to see my land up close, much better than Global Earth. Type an address and click on maps, then click on birds eye view, not all places can be seen with birds eye view, but was surprized how many places I could see. I'm sure you web savy folks already know this but...:whistle:

Just for the record Jay and Doug. I'm not ready for snow! Ok, got that off my chest, phew.

As for a tractor talk get-together, sounds alright by me. Will have to abide by my curfew though.:thumb:
Plainfield is a nice area. You are almost a Rhode Islander! I occasionally drive through on my way to TSC in Griswold. You will have an easy drive to Larry's lakeside resort. :D

Please bring on the snow! I need to make some money here!!! :thumb: Jay... can you please make that happen??? ;)

Dougster