5 acres, 2 horses, no tractor

Missy

Hi-
I'm Missy. Mike and I live in Ivor, VA. Between Norfolk and Petersburg. We've been here for 6yrs. We've managed somehow with just a z-drive Toro and a little trailer.

We're in the market for a "real" tractor. Mike's a retired CG Engineer, so diesels are near and dear to his heart. We definitely want a front loader for moving dirt and manure piles. Need a box rake for leveling. We also have a pond that needs constant take-downs so a bush hog would be good. Other than that, post hole digger/auger and mowing pastures are the big requirements.

I posted thread under New Holland about a potential 24 HP we'll be looking at on Friday, any help would be greatly appreciated.

jbrumberg

:wave: Welcome Missy & Mike:

NTT is a friendly forum :). There are a lot of "characters" :eek: here :rolleyes: . Make yourself at home :respect: . Read some of the introductions here to get a "feel" about us. Do not fear those who may add :starbucks: and/or:letitsnow: smilies. Jay :yum:

Missy

:wave: Welcome Missy & Mike:

NTT is a friendly forum :). There are a lot of "characters" :eek: here :rolleyes: . Make yourself at home :respect: . Read some of the introductions here to get a "feel" about us. Do not fear those who may add :starbucks: and/or:letitsnow: smilies. Jay :yum:
Jay- thanks... I don't scare too easily. I'm pretty much a character, at least that's what the nice people call me!

Welcome aboard Missy and Mike!:wave:

Good luck with your tractor quest!

Just make sure you buy big enough the first time!

Again, welcome!

N

Nicahawk

Hi-
I'm Missy. Mike and I live in Ivor, VA. Between Norfolk and Petersburg. We've been here for 6yrs. We've managed somehow with just a z-drive Toro and a little trailer.

We're in the market for a "real" tractor. Mike's a retired CG Engineer, so diesels are near and dear to his heart. We definitely want a front loader for moving dirt and manure piles. Need a box rake for leveling. We also have a pond that needs constant take-downs so a bush hog would be good. Other than that, post hole digger/auger and mowing pastures are the big requirements.

I posted thread under New Holland about a potential 24 HP we'll be looking at on Friday, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Missy and Mike.:tiphat: Glade you have jumped right in and made yourselves at home here.:wave: I'm sure you'll make this your no. 1 tractor forum.
icon14.gif

You'll find a lot of good/knowledgeable advice here on your selection of a tractor and help after the purchase. :respect: Don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brand tractors, all have good points and reputations. (I have a Kubota that only has about 55 hours on it and and it meets my needs). Just don't jump too fast, make sure you get the options that you might want, even if you don't need them now but might down the rode. (Now I wish I had an enclosed cab even though the weather here is mostly tolerable).
icon13.gif

Whatever you decide on we'll want to see some pictures. Good luck.

I'm like Jay, I don't sleep much either.

Mark777

Welcome Missy and Mike.

Can't wait to see pictures of the place...and hey, we all have ideas on what works for what size property and why. Looking forward to your future posts...

Mark

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Missy and Mike. Welcome to NTT. I'm glad you found us. And you're tractor shopping. That gets all of us excited. The only thing more fun than tractor shopping is seat time on the tractor you've bought.
Some wise tractor folks gave me some great advice when I was shopping a few years back. Sit in as many seats as you can. Check out all the makes and models. Some will be eliminated right away because of price or size but that is a good thing.
I started out looking at the 24hp Kubota offering when I first started shopping. I ended up with a 30hp and am glad I did. From what I've heard from those who have horses a narrower bucket will get into places that a bigger one can't ...so 24hp might be exactly what you need.
Beautiful part of the country you live in down there. I spent a few years in Norfolk while in the Navy.
Enjoy and post often!! :thumb:

Howdy Folks!:tiphat:

"Characters"???? Who might that be?:yum:

Welcome to the group. It's getting bigger by the day! Funny thing is, in spite of MOST of what's posted here, you can get some sound advice from time to time.:thumb:

Have fun and feel free to join in!

Bill

Don't sweat your first tractor purchase...

or your second...
or your third...
or your fourth...
but start getting concerned around your fifth or sixth...:D

PBinWA

Welcome Missy! You'll get lots of advice on how to spend your money here! We love to spend other people's money! :wink:

mobilus

Welcome! Yeah, what the other guys said...

If you post pictures, and tell us what you want to do with the tractor over the next few years, we can definitely spend your money for you...err, I mean, give you some good advice.

Y'all have a great day!
Mark

jbrumberg

Howdy Folks!:tiphat:

"Characters"???? Who might that be?:yum:

Welcome to the group. It's getting bigger by the day! Funny thing is, in spite of MOST of what's posted here, you can get some sound advice from time to time.:thumb:

Have fun and feel free to join in!

Bill

Bill: I do not know of any other internet site where one can get tractor and tractor attachment advise, medical advise and support, weather reports, comedy, recipes, "piling on" of certain members (in the spirit of fun :rolleyes: ), music appreciation, mystery, and intrgue, All in the spirit of colleagiality :respect: . Some members :starbucks: even get unsolicited "gifts". What other Forum site can top that and put up with the 100's of our idiosyncratic members? :yum: Jay :letitsnow:

Erik

Bill: I do not know of any other internet site where one can get tractor and tractor attachment advise, medical advise and support, weather reports, comedy, recipes, "piling on" of certain members (in the spirit of fun :rolleyes: ), music appreciation, mystery, and intrgue, All in the spirit of colleagiality :respect: . Some members :starbucks: even get unsolicited "gifts". What other Forum site can top that and put up with the 100's of our idiosyncratic members? :yum: Jay :letitsnow:
aye laddie - and that's the important part!:wink:
Missy, welcome and good luck on your test drive this weekend!:tiphat:

Bindian

Hi-

Missy,:wave:
Welcome to NTT.:tiphat: This really is a nice place with a few colorful characters.:rolleyes: I also use a zero turn mower to mow my bermuda pasture. I whipped it into shape with my Mahindra, the Big RED Beast. Have y'all checked out Mahindra tractors yet? Like Doc mentioned, drive the tractors you are looking at to get a feel if it fits you. Good dealer support that is nearby is a must. That includes sales, parts, and repair service.
hugs, Brandi

jbrumberg

I definitely agree with the good dealer support advise:thumb:. A good dealer will save you money in the long run. Jay :letitsnow: Time for my fuu-fuu :starbucks: .

PS: Good luck with the tractor shopping. This should be a fun part of tractor acquisiotion. Get as much seat time and visit as many dealeerships as possible to get a "feel" for both the tractors and the dealers. :D

rback33

OK, I am finally back to the office trying to get real work done so let me now offer my belated welcomes. I have not been around much the last few days since I was in CA and time did not really allow it, but is it just or has Dougster been a little MIA? He should have welcomed them 6 times by now...:yum::poke:

Missy

5 acres, 2 horses AND AN NH TC24D BOOMER!!

:yum: Hey guys! I guess you can tell by the title, that Mike and I are now the proud owners of our first tractor- Does that make us Baby Boomers???:sorry: couldn't resist....:pat:

Anyway, we cut the deal tonight and it'll be delivered on Wed evening. Yep, I even drove it, and no, I didn't break anything.:tiphat:

It has a cup holder and cruise control!!! I'm thrilled!

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be needing more
Like- there's no operator's manual for anything. The guy didn't know how to disconnect the FEL. We need a RC. Still not entirely sure on how to start reconditioning our pastures- and I'm guessing we should start soon.

See- I'm such a newbie!!!

Attachments

• NH TC24D.jpg
    NH TC24D.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 298

Bindian

:yum: Hey guys! I guess you can tell by the title, that Mike and I are now the proud owners of our first tractor- Does that make us Baby Boomers???:sorry: couldn't resist....:pat:

Anyway, we cut the deal tonight and it'll be delivered on Wed evening. Yep, I even drove it, and no, I didn't break anything.:tiphat:

It has a cup holder and cruise control!!! I'm thrilled!

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be needing more
Like- there's no operator's manual for anything. The guy didn't know how to disconnect the FEL. We need a RC. Still not entirely sure on how to start reconditioning our pastures- and I'm guessing we should start soon.

See- I'm such a newbie!!!

Missy,:wave:
Welcome to the fascinating world of tractor ownership.:cool: All you will meet is good friendly people. But you already know that with your horses! It really is a cute tractor.:letitsnow:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

OK, I am finally back to the office trying to get real work done so let me now offer my belated welcomes. I have not been around much the last few days since I was in CA and time did not really allow it, but is it just or has Dougster been a little MIA? He should have welcomed them 6 times by now...:yum::poke:
Jeremy,
Dougster's:starbucks: has a self imposed sabbatical from new introductions. I think it is for a month. I really don't remember. He seems to think he was been chasing new folks off.:pat:
hugs, Brandi

N

Nicahawk

Congrats for you and Mike on your tractor purchase.:tiphat: Anything you need to know about your new tractor can be answered by many of the folks here.:respect:

Just one question,
icon5.gif
which bedroom are you going to let it have? :rolleyes: And is the closet big enough for all the attachments?:yum: :yum: It's too cute to be left out, even in a shed.

Good luck with it, and I agree with Brandi, it is cute!

Last edited: