2440 Hydraulic Problems

dausbury

I am having constant problems with the hyrdaulic systems on my 2440. First the system would quit all together, no loader no steering no 3 point but the transmission pump continued to work. I let the tractor cool down then when I started it back up the hydraulics wouked long enough for me to raise the brush hog off the ground and get it back to the barn. I replaced the filter and fluid and cleaned the screen and the hydraulics started working again. Then I started blowing hoses on the loader I blew three then the o ring behind the pressuer control valve blew out. I replaced this then the system quit again. I took the tractor in to my mechanic and they split the tractor and replaced all the seals, they said the pumps tested good. The tractor ran great for about 8 hours of brush hogging then today started acting up again. First the steering started going out then the loader and three point quit then I lost all power to the transmission and tractor would not move. When this happenned I shifted the hi-lo in to low and the tractor would start going again shiftd in to high and hydraulics would come back and everything was fine for a short time. Eventually the same thing happens again and hi-lo quit working all together, but if I would engage the up lever on the loader tractor would immediately start going again and hydraulics would come back but only breifly then ti would resume to no power at all.

Any advise would be appreciated. Tractor had new filter and fluid when I got it back from the mechanics shop. When the tractor loses power and hydraulics and is sitting still while in gear it makes a slight whining noise. When I push in the clutch or take out of gear the whining noise quits. If I shut the tractor off then start it again everyhting works fine but only for a few minutes then more of the same problems.

loboloco

daus, not familiar with the 2440, but the 3020 has a combined hydraulic/transmission system. A problem in the transmission can cause fits with the hydraulics and vice versa. Have you had any indications of a trans problem before? slippage or not wanting to pull? Might not be the first thing to check, but it might help.

dausbury

Thanks loboloco no previous transmission problems, hauled back to the mechanic shop tonight. Hopefully they will not have to split it again.

jd110

The whining noise you hear is because the hi-lo is slipping. Since it worked well for a while after new fluid and filters, I wonder if the filter could be clogged. If you have a failure in the brakes, the filter will clog very quickly. When you originally cleaned the screen, what kind of debris did you find on it?

dausbury

You could be on the right track, . The mechanic shop found the system full of metal debris and the screen was clogged