New RTV owner

ACFarmer

Hey guys, I bought a 05 or 06 900 this past fall. Put maybe 10 hours on it so far and it's been as handy as everybody says. Have a few questions though.
I feel as it could use a little more power. Engine pulls down pretty easy but the hydro seems plenty strong. How do you bump up the fuel?

The hydro brake, how do I tone that thing down?? It will about put you through the windshield if you let off fast.

I have a solid windshield and plastic doors, rear window. It doesn't have a heater, OEM the best thing to buy or is there an aftermarket option that's decent?

How good are the hydraulics on these things? As in, can I put regular pioneer couplers on it and raise/lower farm equipment with it?

Also, the rear receiver, it's really small? Have to buy special hitches for them?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this thing up to my specs before spring planting. It will be getting the guts used out of it in a month or so.:drive2:

ACFarmer

Hmm after doing some reading, I do not have a spark arrester so cleaning that is out. I've seen some posts on hand throttles, guessing that separates the control of the throttle away from the hydro?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi AC Farmer. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us.
Congrats on the new to you RTV. You are going to love it. Dang, you already took my answer. I was going to suggest spark arrester for the sluggish.
As for the engine braking, I was advised I would get used to it and even like it on hills. It took awhile but I have gotten used to it and would not change a thing. Course I have quite a few hills here that allow me to make use of the engine braking.
If you are due for a fluid change be sure you put in Kubota Super UDT. If the previous owner went cheap that could be the cause of the sluggishness.

Tractor supply and Lowes both carry hitches to fit the RTV size receiver.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Doc has the procedure for toning down the hydro brake here on the forum somewhere. It is pretty basic to adjust it. The receiver hitch on the early models were 1 1/4 tube. You can weld on a 2 in. or do like I did and drill out the hole on the hitch to hold the larger balls. I used mine to move wagons when I was still making hay and it pulled rather well on level ground. I have never used the aux. hydraulics on mine.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
AC, welcome to the RTV Forum.

Come back often. If we don't know the answers to your qustions we'll make something up. lol No kidding --- there is a lot of posts here that you might research. Look under "search" and key word in your concern.

Keifer

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard...........

Awhile back, a very long while, there was a couple of threads about the hydro tank getting hot and a hole melting in it. I seem to remember this was caused by using the hydro's a lot and another case of the dump handle being engaged even though it wasn't doing anything. These both caused the oil to heat up to much and created a hole..........

Anyway.........Bordercollie then developed a radiator type of system as she uses hers for spaying a lot............I think for just raising and lowering but maybe she will tell us more..........

Kubota sells equipment to be run by those hydro's but I really don't know if they are enough GPM's to do much with..............so.....Welcome aboard.........God bless......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dennis. I overlooked that question. :hammer: I use my hydraulics to raise and lower -adjust the height of my hydraulic weed wiper. It is a lightweight thing but the height adjustment is vital. I did add a hydraulic cooler since I use it for hours at a time. There is a thread on here titled " Hydraulic cooler added" also a weed wiper one.. I have 2 small cylinders on it. I have pictures showing the wiper and cooler and temperature reading of the tank and pump.. I don't know it it would do as you want but it worked for me and I am pleased in that regard. collie

edit ; http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14755&highlight=cooler+added

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15303&highlight=weed+wiper

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
congratulations on you purchase,i am sure you will love it. on the topic of your RTV being sluggish> if i were you i would park the unit on a slab of concrete or at least some hard level ground and place it tin neutral then get behind it and push on it to see it it rolls easy. I remember in another thread a man had a sluggish machine that would even foam the oil and came to find out it was just his brakes dragging. so check those brakes everyone. Good luck!!

cpsseals

Welcome to the group. Regarding the best cab enclosure, I've seen a few members getting the kubota cab by Curtis. Part number V4210. I've seen them selling brand new for under $1300 in Canada probably due to the new X model being sold now. Search and maybe call around and see what your local Kubota dealer can come up with. I understand it comes with everything you need for a complete enclosure except a heater.

A link to a Canadian deal.
http://www.marshbrothers.com/pages/...EQUIPVIEW&listpage=/pages/index.cfm&ID=687599

A closer look at WildBill's Cab and what he's done with it.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16140

Another thread on the subject.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16100&highlight=V4210

Attachments

• imageview.jpg
    imageview.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 02503.jpg
    02503.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 228

ACFarmer

Thanks for the replys everybody. I'll look into a few of the suggestions posted here. What are you guys using for heaters if you don't have a factory one? By oem or? I haven't used it much this winter because of the lack of heater and the cab not being very good.

Mark.Sibole

Oem heater is expensive I believe.Some are electric and some use coolant from what Ive seen.If I were to ever add a heater to mine I would go the heater core route and make my own as it would be a whole lot cheaper than oem.

Fitch

Can't make suggestions about it being sluggish with out some information.

Do you have the service history on the machine?

Was it serviced before you purchased it?

How many hours does it have on it?

Depending on those answers we might be able to make some suggestions. My machine is a 2004 with 2,040 hours on it. It has the Kubota kit installed to reduce the severity of the engine braking. Other than that, and replacing the front two piece driveshaft with a new one piece drive shaft, the drive train is box stock and works just fine.

Fitch

ACFarmer

Can't make suggestions about it being sluggish with out some information.

Do you have the service history on the machine?

Was it serviced before you purchased it?

How many hours does it have on it?

Depending on those answers we might be able to make some suggestions. My machine is a 2004 with 2,040 hours on it. It has the Kubota kit installed to reduce the severity of the engine braking. Other than that, and replacing the front two piece driveshaft with a new one piece drive shaft, the drive train is box stock and works just fine.

Fitch

I have most of the service records.

It was completely serviced before I bought it.

It has I believe around 2300 hours on it.

All this thing did before I bought it was drive around fields getting soil samples for the local CO-OP. Not a hard life at all. I will probably not worry about the cab/heater until next fall now that its almost march. Just figure out the braking and the power issue for now. Which I guess aren't really issues, just little things that bug me lol.