Boss Plow oil leak

rapracing

My v-xt plow has a leak. It appears to be on a breather at the top of the cylinder that lifts the plow. When I raise the plow it pushes oil out of what I assume is a breather.

Looks like there is only one line on the cylinder at the bottom. It appears that the weight of the plow is what drops it down?

I ASSUME it is oil by bypassing the packing in the cylinder and coming out the breather

Anyone have an issue like this?

Last edited:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Haven't had that issue, (new v-plow this year) but it is recommended you replace fluid only with Boss oil. Go figure...!

rapracing

Mine is new as well. I had it installed in the fall. It has 10-12 hours on it now but seems awful quick for seals/packing to go

Tom B

My v-xt plow has a leak. It appears to be on a breather at the top of the cylinder that lifts the plow. When I raise the plow it pushes oil out of what I assume is a breather.

Looks like there is only one line on the cylinder at the bottom. It appears that the weight of the plow is what drops it down?

I ASSUME it is oil by bypassing the packing in the cylinder and coming out the breather

Anyone have an issue like this?

I had a leak at the breather...... the breather was loose, the boss dealer had me hand tighten it (plastic) and no leak since. It could have been over filled too.

rapracing

I had a leak at the breather...... the breather was loose, the boss dealer had me hand tighten it (plastic) and no leak since. It could have been over filled too.

It's not likely it was overfull. I had used it several hours. Just started leaking today. I seems it is coming through the breather. I check it in the morning and be sure it's not loose. Thanks

rapracing

Just talked to dealer. It is as I suspected, oil is going around the seal and when I raise the blade it pushes out the breather. They are going to give me a new cylinder

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Consider using only Boss oil to keep your plow warranty in force. Just saying.

travisd

Consider using only Boss oil to keep your plow warranty in force. Just saying.

Magnuson-Moss warranty act is pretty clear that they can't deny a warranty just because you used a different brand part/fluid. As long as it meets the specs, you'll be fine. If you use bad stuff, yes they can deny a claim if they can prove that the part/fluid was the cause of the problem, but the burden is on them.

I bought a Sno*Way plow this year, and they do the same thing - they sell their own branded fluid, which of course the dealer has never seen. They sold me Fischer oil and I'm reasonably sure it's the same stuff, different label.

rapracing

The first guy I talked to told me this was the first time he had heard of this. When I stopped to pick it up a was talking to one of the mechanics. I asked if he had seen it before. "Yes, we even had to replace the one on our machine".

Sounds like it may be a common problem talking to him.

They did give me a quart of fluid to replace what was lost as well as a new cylinder