New project - 4WD Articulated Tractor

Mith

Des, you arent going to get away with glossing over your project like that, please tell us more :D
Dont hesitate to ask questions, cheers

waughd

Mith
It's a replica of ford's 1995 concept GT90
Some pics of my project and one of the real one
Still a long way to go.
This is the plug or pattern to make the body moulds from, there will be an alloy chassis under it.

Des

Attachments

• DSC02730.JPG
    DSC02730.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC02774.JPG
    DSC02774.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC02798.jpg
    DSC02798.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02834.jpg
    DSC02834.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 181
  • eyes02-3247.jpg
    eyes02-3247.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 180

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Des.
Please post details of this in our project threads. Very interesting.

Guess who recently bought a domain for the purpose of starting a car forum?
It's me!!!
NetCarStop.com should be live in the not to distant future.

Mith

Woaahhhh! Thats a different level of skill, and just for a pattern!
The guy who I work for used to restore cars for a living, he is also very involved in my project, hopefully he will take the time to teach me some skills to make some bodywork for it.
I have alot of respect for people who do finishing work on cars (and tractors of course), its something that takes a whole load more skill and patience than I will ever have.
You must have a background in the automotive industry Des. Amazing project, please update us as it progresses!

Mark777

Spectacular!!!!!!!!

Did you digitally plan and transfer specifications from graph to your buck? I'm thinking this buck is for a fiberglass reinforced gel-coat mold which will be the final for casting the body panels?

Beautiful work Des and I wish you great success.

Mark

Mith

Just a quick update....
I welded all the chassis parts together, and applied some paint. Once I get the bushings and pin retainers made for the rams then I can flip it over and start on the controls etc.
My engine is on order, and the pumps are all quoted for, just need to scrape the pennies together to order them.
Its slowly coming together!

Oh, and Bonehead, if you are reading, could'a done with you the other day, managed to stick my finger in a disc cutter and made a decent slice into it. Looks butt ugly, but it still works OK :D

Attachments

• chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 172
  • frame turned.jpg
    frame turned.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 174

PBinWA

Oh, and Bonehead, if you are reading, could'a done with you the other day, managed to stick my finger in a disc cutter and made a decent slice into it. Looks butt ugly, but it still works OK :D

I'm not sure how having Bonehead stand there and laugh at you would have helped much! :hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking goog Mith. Looking at just the frame it looks extremely long. It looks plenty heavy duty too. very impressive. :thumb:
I look forward to seeing it come together. :D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Looking good Mith.

Nice project waughd. Yes please start a new thread in the Projects forum and tell/show us more.

Awesome Des.

Guess who recently bought a domain for the purpose of starting a car forum?
It's me!!!
NetCarStop.com should be live in the not to distant future.

You're a glutton for punishment aren't you.

Mith

Thanks guys.

I spent more time last night on it, a friend came round and we got it up on its wheels. He builds forklift trucks for a living and offered a few ideas for the hydraulic system. We figured out a way of plumbing the wheel drive so that the power can be transferred to the wheels with the most grip, hopefully it will be very hard to get stuck.

Attachments

• artic on wheels.jpg
    artic on wheels.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 180

waughd

Mith
My turn.......
you aren't going to get away with glossing over the hydraulics like that
Please tell us
Des

N

Nicahawk

Good progress. I'd like to know the total hours it took to put this all together when your finished. I hope your keeping track.

Your going to have one awesome machine when your finished.

Mith

Des, I assume you are referring to the drive plumbing. I've attached a drawing of the basic circuit. The front and rear axles are in series, the 2 motors on each axle in parallel. The idea being that there will always be power to one of the wheels on each axle.
We thought of some ideas for making it transfer power to the wheel on each axle with most grip, could be done so that it does it automatically, but I'm liking the simple idea of replacing one of the T's on each axle (where the spots are) with a 3 way diverter, that way you can just push the lever towards the wheel with the most grip and bias the flow/pressure towards that wheel.
I guess the same effect could be done with relief valves and check valves, but I like the simple but effective idea of using 2 manual diverter valves, one for each axle.
99% of the time they would be in the middle providing the same flow to each wheel, but you would just adjust it as you would use a diff lock to climb out of tricky situation.

Nica, I'll keep track of the time here, that'll be the easiest way. If we include design time I'll reckon I'm 50 hours in to date.

Cheers guys

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 177

waughd

Thanks for kind words

To save your space/bandwidth etc
This has been loosely documented on another forum
gt40s.com under build logs then go to gt90 from the ground up.
You need to register to see the pics

Mith
It seems to be going well thanks for taking time re the hydraulic circuit
maybe someone has already invented the LSD hydraulic valve.....
Des

Mith

Well, my engine arrived the other day. Alot of my hydraulics are now on order so hopefully I'll pick up the pace when they arrive.

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 188

ghautz

Impressive project. I must say, tho, that your seat mount does not appear to be up to the standards of your previous work:poke: It looks more like something out of my workshop.

Mith

Are you saying you dont like my woodwork?! :D

I forgot to add earlier that I decided to widen it 8" to make it look a bit more 'right'. Anyway, that sorted now, and it looks better for it. Its 2" thinner than the door, so it's going to be tight getting it out when its done.

Recieved my first batch of hydraulics today. The steering and drive pumps, the drive valve, a filter and a whole load of fittings/ other smaller valves.
Now its time to get really cracking. The drive pump and valve were much bigger than I thought. I put the battery next to the drive pump to give you and idea of size.
The bigger the toys the more the fun!

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 169