Shuts off intermittently

pro1742

So I have to say that I have been impressed with my 2017 RTVX1100C up until now. It has been sitting outside for about week in some very cold weather with high temperatures in the high teens to low 20's. Yesterday we had nice warm up with highs in the mid forties. It was so nice out I thought I would run the property line to check on a few things. So I get in and start it up (normal startup) and I let it idle a bit to get warmed up. I put it in gear and start on my run, with in first 75 feet it starts slowing down, then shuts off completely, it felt like it was running out of fuel. I check the fuel gauge shows 3/4 tank. I decide to restart it and it starts and idles normally.

Thinking its a fluke I decide to continue on I put it back in gear and go. This time with in 150 feet it does the same thing. This time I do visual check inside fuel tank and verify the 3/4 tank of fuel. Check the fuel filter, which looks extremely clean and verify no water in separator, all checks out ok. Long story short it does three more times, to the point I cancel my trip because I don't want to get stuck out in back part of my property.

It just turned 100 miles on odometer, it starts and idles normally each and every time but when it shuts off under acceleration it feels like running out of fuel. I don't see anything obvious. So I decided to park it in heated garage over night to see if maybe it has gelled fuel line or something.

I also wanted to reach out to you kind folks to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, it sounds like it's starving for fuel. Enough is getting to the engine for idle but on higher demand, it's just not getting it.

How did it behave after it sat in the heated garage overnight?

When this happens to me (on my tractor), it's normally the fuel filter.

Does it sound like it's starving for fuel when not moving but with the RPM's up high? If it runs fine with high RPM's but not moving, I'd hold that position for several minutes to see if you could get a good flow then try driving again.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if it is a little piece of ice in the fuel line, lets enough fuel through to idle but when you give it gas it sucks into place and slows fuel delivery to nill ....if so once it thaws out you would be good to go.

pro1742

Yep, it sounds like it's starving for fuel. Enough is getting to the engine for idle but on higher demand, it's just not getting it.

How did it behave after it sat in the heated garage overnight?

When this happens to me (on my tractor), it's normally the fuel filter.

Does it sound like it's starving for fuel when not moving but with the RPM's up high? If it runs fine with high RPM's but not moving, I'd hold that position for several minutes to see if you could get a good flow then try driving again.

With regards to heated garage I am not sure yet, I am going out this morning to run it around a bit and see.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The beauty of diesels is when they start all they need is fuel and air to keep running so the above suggestions about water, filter or gelled fuel are excellent. A warm place should moderate either gel or water.

On the air side, check the intake and filter also. You never know if a mouse or chipmunk took up residence in there.

foxalaska

Early models of Kubota's have a "bottom draw"(actually side draw). Not sure about newer models. This is a totally crap way to draw fuel. It allows better usage of the total tank volume, but any water(which becomes ice) plugs the inlet. Had this problem with a early 1100C we used at the mine.

Warm up the fuel so all ice is melted, get anything that will suffice as a suction mechanism. Mama's turkey baster will work. Get rid of all the crap. Make sure nothing is in the tank that can intermittently plug the inlet. Cellophane can cause all kinds problems. When you're sure nothing is in the tank, change fuel filter. This one of the few things I've found about the Kubota that is "cheesy".

Lee1935

Even with just a 100 hours, I'd take it in for it's 1st complete checkup.

If you have a early model with the fuel pickup at the bottom of the tank I'd make that a warm weather project to raise the pickup up at least a inch from the bottom of the tank. a good fuel additive should slow down or stop ice formation

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Definitely fuel starvation.........read what I went through:

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16912

Been at least more than a year or two now and the electric cheapo fuel pump is still clicking. YES>>>>Get to the dealer and have them fix it. That is after water and crud is removed from the tank and lines. They will possibly charge you labor for that fix; but not if it is mechanical or whatever............A $29 fuel pump from Amazon is a quick and dirty fix for this problem and if it is something else or the dealer makes it a warranty issue, what are you out??......A 12V little pump on the shelf will someday be useful..........God bless....Dennis

pro1742

Latest update...after sitting in heated garage for 36 hours I went out this afternoon and took it out for a drive and it operated perfectly! ....So I guess it was a piece of ice or gelled fuel line. I put it away and tomorrow I will stop when I am out to get some diesel fuel conditioner. Any recommendations on a good diesel fuel conditioner?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You can't go wrong with either Sea-Foam or Power Service.

Lee1935

Latest update...after sitting in heated garage for 36 hours I went out this afternoon and took it out for a drive and it operated perfectly! ....So I guess it was a piece of ice or gelled fuel line. I put it away and tomorrow I will stop when I am out to get some diesel fuel conditioner. Any recommendations on a good diesel fuel conditioner?

Stop at any equipment dealer or auto parts store and ask what they recommend for diesel fuel treatment. I use only two Stanadyne & Lucas, of course we don't get bitter cold here -15 is colder than normal.

Lucas has one main job and that is to stop fungus from growing in diesel☺

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably gelled fuel and your filter is now clogged with wax. change filter and add power service is my advice. my 1100 gelled the other day and it acted just like what you are saying.

oops i see you got it running!!! GOOD. Lucas ,Powerservice, or good ol kerosene will work there are others also Standyne is real good

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Also, you can't go too far wrong to use a "Mr. Funnel" when transferring fuel into the Kubota or any other Diesel engine. This particular funnel, found online, is supposed to filter out any water.

ovrszd

Power Service white bottle will help with fuel gel. I treat every gallon I use during winter months. I'm also picky about where I buy my fuel and how I handle it. I keep my tank near full all the time to minimize condensation.