After a month of restoration work...

v10rick

Site Supporter
Acquired my neglected RTV900 about a month ago. It was in sorry shape, but I saw the potential and purchased anyway.

With the mechanical issues addressed , fresh oil, coolant and reupholstered seat and backrest I was finally rewarded with a test drive on Saturday.

I live on a gravel lane which is uncomfortable with my BX2350, the bone jarring ride is avoided whenever possible.

Compared to the BX this RTV is like driving a luxury car with marshmallow suspension, I am impressed. Both are equipped with the same engine but the similarities end there.

One question...compared to the BX the RTV seems sluggish off the line but has plenty of speed once it gets moving.

Is this due to the 600lb weight difference or ?

628pm

Site Supporter
I think it just because the throttle and hydraulics are linked together. Put a hand throttle on it and you will tell the difference. With that said, I don't use the hand throttle often, maybe when pushing snow or going up a steep incline (which doesn't happen very often).

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How far are you pushing the throttle down on takeoff? The RTV's throttle is counter intuitive to other vehicles. On hills I notice mine lugging down, I let off on the throttle some and climb right up the hill.

v10rick

Site Supporter
How far are you pushing the throttle down on takeoff? The RTV's throttle is counter intuitive to other vehicles. On hills I notice mine lugging down, I let off on the throttle some and climb right up the hill.

Pedal to the metal during my test drive.

Letting up on the throttle to move faster seems counterproductive but I will give that a shot.

v10rick

Site Supporter
One other thing I noticed.

Living on a mountain ridge there are few level areas around here. Changing gears or going into reverse worked best by pulling the HST pressure release knob first.

Otherwise it was a struggle to change gears.

Does that seem right?

Kanook

One other thing I noticed.

Living on a mountain ridge there are few level areas around here. Changing gears or going into reverse worked best by pulling the HST pressure release knob first.

Otherwise it was a struggle to change gears.

Does that seem right?

The way it is supposed to work....wish my 04 had this feature.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The way it is supposed to work....wish my 04 had this feature.

i have the pull knob on my 1100 but i adjusted the brake linkage and it works better than the knob. also might need to lube the button so it moves easier.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When mine doesn't want to get out of gear, I apply the hand brake, wait a few seconds then it will come out of gear. Mine is an 04 and doesn't have the pressure release knob.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there is a balancing procedure you can perform on your transmission that makes sure your HVT is in neutral and not trying to creep. it has been posted here many times. it involves jacking up the rear wheels with the engine running and adjusting the linkages so there is no forward creep. this will make a new machine out of it and adjusting and lubing the poppet valve so your brake will release pressure will help much

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I just try all of the above to shift gears or to get in or out of 2-4 wheel drive. If that doesn't work I just casually leave a John Deere or Honda brochure on the seat. Seems overnight it starts shifting easier. Go figure!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
When I'm having trouble getting out of gear, I punch the brake, turn the steering wheel hard and work the H pattern , trying to find a gear it will slip into. Then from that gear, itusually straightens the one I seek and I can shift into it. If stuck in 4wd, look at label right above the key switch.I turn the wheel hard left and right.. It works good for me. bordercollie

v10rick

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone.
Next time out and it is stuck in a gear I will try your suggestions. If all else fails...pull the HST knob on the dash.

BTW I received the manual throttle control from Messicks. A project for another time and thread.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I find it best to cut the engine off, change gear no problem,

1906 RTV 530 hrs.

Hoyt
That's what someone here suggested to me early on, so when stuck in a gear that's what I did. Shut down, get to neutral start up and put it in whatever gear is needed. Easy peezy.

v10rick

Site Supporter
I just try all of the above to shift gears or to get in or out of 2-4 wheel drive. If that doesn't work I just casually leave a John Deere or Honda brochure on the seat. Seems overnight it starts shifting easier. Go figure!

Good one...too funny