Blocking The Clutch?

w6ada

OK, I see thread after thread regarding Yanmars and other so called "off shore" brands where many advocate blocking the clutch to elimninate any risk the plate will stick to the flywheel in storage in the winter, I live where there is a good deal of rain, but no snow, and my Ford 3430 is under cover. Should I be doing this? I use the tractor at least once a month during the winter an frequently more often. What do you think? Thanks

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
My Kubota recommends doing the same thing and guess what? .... I've never done it and never had a problem. Then again, I live in Texas where the winter weather isn't too severe and, like you, I use it during the winter so I never saw any need to do it. I suppose if it sat for several months and never moved then I might give it some though but I don't think that is going to happen. :wink:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
All depends on where you drive your tractor!

It's not unusual for the gray market Yanmars, brought over after 20 years use in Japan, to have stuck clutches.

I copied this photo off Yanmar-Japan's website, from a section on overseas applications. Apparently they consider running half-submerged to be normal use. No wonder they recommend you block the clutch before storing the tractor for winter.

I've never blocked the clutch on my US Yanmar and don't see any reason to - but it does have the little latch if I ever wanted to use it.

YanmarInternationalPhoto.gif

Mine has a hook latch to hold the pedal down. I've made a habbit of blocking it if I'm not going to be using it for a few days.

jwstewar

Staff member
My New Holland TC24D came with a little block and string to use to block the clutch "during periods of long storage." I've done it a few times when I know - or think I won't be using it for a long time. But then I've not done it and it ends up not getting used for a couple of months and haven't had any issues either.

w6ada

Thanks for the replies. My tractor had a stuck clutch one time before I bought it and the owner wound up splitting the tractor to resolve it.....So, it already has shown it can have an issue. All it takes is once to cost a lot of time and money....I think I will stay on the safe side and block the clutch in the wet time of the year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a latch and use it pretty much every time I put it to bed at night.

As mentioned, it's cheap insurance and splitting the tractor to fix something that could have been easily addressed isn't fun.

cj06

is there any differences between the overseas tractors and American ones ?
i dont have a ford any more and never had had any problem with the clutch getting stuck on the old 555 . and with my my old JD 401 no problems , i am in AZ and could that be the reason ? :confused2:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
is there any differences between the overseas tractors and American ones ?
For the clutch, I doubt it. (for the same size tractor).

I'm pretty sure my 24hp Yanmar, about 1100cc, uses the same clutch as some model of 70's Datsun. Lots of the parts that will eventually need replacement are the same stuff used on 70's Japanese cars/light trucks such as the Hitachi alternator and regulator.

There's only so many ways to make a clutch, and probably a limited number of patents.

biggrigg

Hello everybody, I have a 96 1715 Ford New Holland 4x4 that I bought brand new. It had the block of wood on a string to place under the clutch pedal to keep clutch from sticking to pressure plate and flywheel. I never used it until I had everything stick together, twice. Had to pull the starter, stick a brass rod inside and tap on it with a hammer to get it to release. Not sure, but I believe the clutch material is like the brake pad material on today's cars, which are semi metallic. I live in Michigan and used it quite regularly at my moms house mowing and plowing snow, but after she passed and the house was sold, I don't use it near as much as I did. It would sit for weeks on end before using it. I will be blocking it now, after replacing the clutch in it this summer. The clutch itself still had some wear left on it, the throwout (release) bearing seized up.

A little heads up for you Ford New Holland owners (other tractor owners may want to check this out also). I noticed some brownish, red colored stains splashed on the block by the starter. Didn't pay a lot of attention to it, thinking it was just dirt. Starter ended up going out, replaced it, then the release bearing went out. Went to New Holland's website and while looking at an exploded view of the transmission, I notice there is a weep hole and in that hole is a cotter pin, serving NO PURPOSE AT ALL!!! I went out to my tractor, pulled it out and about a QUART AND A HALF of water came out:cuss::cuss::cuss:. Now I know why my starter and release bearing went out!!! So my suggestion to everybody is to make sure that weep hole is clear and to block your clutch pedal if it is going to sit more than a week at a time.

Mike

urednecku

I have never heard of blocking the clutch until this thread. Never knew anybody that's had any trouble with one sticking in this area, unless something sat for many months- or years. Maybe it's an 'area' thing?

OH YEA, welcome to the forum, biggrigg!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum biggrigg. My NH did not come with a block. I've heard from others it's a good idea to do it, I just haven't.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome biggrigg.

I'm sticking with blocking the clutch after a near miss.

biggrigg

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm glad I found this site. I belong to other forums for my vehicles (Powerstroke, Focus, Lincoln), but couldn't find one (and didn't need one till this summer) and just came across this site yesterday. So far I love it.

I don't have the proper storage for my tractor and tarping it doesn't always cut it, especially when I forget to before the rain hits. I plan on putting a lean to on the side of my garage in the near future.

I use my tractor more in the winter than the summer, so it sits for extended periods of time. I need to get in the habit of running it at least once a week to keep everything up to snuff. So far, I have went a week without running it or blocking the pedal, but any longer than that and I will definitely use the block.

Mike

I have never heard of blocking the clutch until this thread. Never knew anybody that's had any trouble with one sticking in this area, unless something sat for many months- or years. Maybe it's an 'area' thing?
I had never heard of such a thing either until I bought my NH. When they showed me the hook to hold the clutch pedal down and told me what it was for I thought it was crazy. But I'd rather not find out the hard way if it is or not.

Welcome to the forum biggrigg :wave: