Tire Sealer

mahindra one

I have a lot of cactus and mesquite that causes real problems with the tires on my equipment. The fillers generally sold in auto parts stores are not highly respected by people in the tire business. There is one brand I researched called Genseal but I'm having trouble getting them to sell it to me. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I have a lot of cactus and mesquite that causes real problems with the tires on my equipment. The fillers generally sold in auto parts stores are not highly respected by people in the tire business. There is one brand I researched called Genseal but I'm having trouble getting them to sell it to me. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about Genseal.

I've always used "Slime". I know, it's one of the auto store products but it's almost always worked for me. I don't pay any attention to the quantities it says to use on the jug. I pour in 2 or 3 times that amount. I reckon that in a tractor I'm not going to be going fast enough to cause any instability.

Also, many years ago when I worked in New Mexico, the surveyors ran through cactus and mesquite that an armadillo wouldn't venture into. They all ran at least 10-ply tires on their trucks. They did ride a little rough on the road but they didn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to fix a flat. Now, I know that my Kubotas both came with 6-ply Titans so whenever it comes time to replace them, I upgrade to 10-plys. So far I've got all the front tires on 2 tractors done and they're all filled with slime ... just in case.

If I lived and worked in that kind of country, I'd seriously look into having my tires foam filled. It's expensive but it's a lot easier on the back, especially at my advanced time of life. :)

Kanook

I agree with ETF, that slime stuff does a good job. One of the tires om my JD F525 had a a 4 inch crack in the sidewall from sitting all winter with a flat. Put some slime in the tire which I could not inflate with 12cfm compressor (cause the hole was so large) and rolled it around per the instructions. It inflated with a good qty of green slime seeping out of the crack at first but eventually stopped leaking. Figured I could use the machine in the meantime and pick up a new tire the following week. This is now 3 years and I still haven't replaced that tire.......Good Stuff...

texasjohn

I put slime in my RTV tires and while I don't intentionally run over mesquite, I can't miss it all. All good so far.... there is a formula to follow of amount depending on tire size...use at least that amount...you will discover it's a lot, so compute out how many gallons you will need and look for good price. Price varies greatly, but Walmart and TSC both have it for $25/gal or under. Took something more than 2 gallons for my 4 RTV tires. I didn't skimp, bought 3 gals and have some left over.

texasjohn

There is a formula on the label for the AMOUNT needed depending on size of the tire...quite a bit is needed for one tire.... need to follow the formula....and, with mesquite, you'll need to do all tires of concern..... I found a LOT of price variation from various stores....so, it pays to shop around.

Erik

I found Berryman brand tire sealer in 5 gallon buckets for $100 at o'Reilley's -- the same stuff is $40 a gallon at TSC.
Gempler's has another version that runs about $60/gallon, but it's supposed to fill up to 1/4" holes - not just punctures.
Since my 3510 needs about 7 quarts per back tire, I ordered the 5 gallon jug from the auto parts store.