I'm an idiot

rharrington1988

Before I start, yes I know I'm an idiot. I was changing oils in all my machines and instead of going 1 at a time, I tried to be some stupid assembly line operator. Well onmy RTV900, I forgot to drain the oil. I added three quarts and when I started it and took for a test drive it started knocking real loud and throwing.black smoke. I knew something was majorly wrong. I went to shut off the machine and it kept running for like another three to five mins. I kept putting key back in ignition and moving to shutoff position and it eventually shut off. I drained the oil and it kept showing high. I have now drained 6 qts which would be double.. it's still showing high.. is there a chance somrthing else spilled into there? My plan is to drain everything completely then add in the right amount. Should I be okay or do you all think I have screwed something up royally with my machine?

rharrington1988

I will check that but it seems to be more than a small antifreeze tank. I was thinking that maybe diesel got in somehow. I'm not very mechanically inclined. The only things I have done is change fluids and pull off the transmission plate cover to fix when the machine got stuck.apparently I can't even change the fluids right lol. I know these things are built like tanks, but I'm scared I did some serious engine damage possibly. Will follow up on antifreeze

Treehouse

Site Supporter
If it's antifreeze in there you'll know right away--the oil will be very milky colored, not black. If that's the issue you have a head, or if you are lucky, a head gasket problem.

Good luck!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is just me and what I would do. Surely NOT to suggest you follow my path.

First I would say the sh.., fu.., dam., piss, hell mantra.........MANY times.

I would drain everything from the engine crankcase, NOT trans or hydro

I would put the correct amount of oil in.

Say a little prayer

Start it and be ready to shut it off as you listen for anything strange

Look, if it is already messed up starting it isn't gonna do anything more than is already messed up. I would park it where I can see any leaks from seals or such. That is the worst thing that it could be. UNLESS you got a hydraulic lock by a cylinder being full of oil and then you bent a rod. That damage is already done and you will know it as soon as you fire it up.........If you hear anything weird....SHUT IT DOWN

Quit beating yourself up.............EVERYONE messes up at one time or another...lol......some of us more than others.............HMMMM maybe we should start a thread on our best mess-ups.

Say a prayer of thanks either way........it's a lesson learned on what to do next time..............God bless.......Dennis

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
You hyda-locked the engine by forcing oil up past the piston rings. That is why it did not shut off. Let it drain over night. I would pull the injectors and crank it over to force any extra oil from the cylinders. Put them back in and add the proper amount of oil. Start it and make sure you have oil pressure. If you did not bend a rod you should be OK.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Quit frettin over what could be...............

Good question on how to kill the engine over in the thread about the rear differential problems.................

How would one kill a diesel engine like on the RTV. if it was running on it's own........Shut down the air intake someway ?? but one cant just pull a coil wire or a battery cable like a gas engine............?????.........God bless..........Dennis

rharrington1988

Quit frettin over what could be...............

Good question on how to kill the engine over in the thread about the rear differential problems.................

How would one kill a diesel engine like on the RTV. if it was running on it's own........Shut down the air intake someway ?? but one cant just pull a coil wire or a battery cable like a gas engine............?????.........God bless..........Dennis

What oil plug is this?
RTV-trans-oil-drain.jpg

Mark.Sibole

Hard to tell from this view.Crawl under the machine.The one closest to the front will be oil and the one closest to the rear will be tranny.

Mark.Sibole

Hope it will be ok with no major damage,I know over filling oil is as bad as running no oil at all a lot of times.Ill say a prayer for ya maybe it will help.
"Dear Lord please dont let his stupidity cause ill effects on his machine"

RealtreeRTV

I'm with D&D Farms, If you damaged the motor, it's already done.
I would drain the engine completely and refill, cross your fingers and give it a try. These are tough little engines.

The picture you posted is the trans drain plug. Is this the plug you tried draining excess engine oil from? If so now your trans is now low. The engine drain is forward.
The engine drain faces forward on mine and is near a frame cross tube and is about even with the forward skid plate. It takes a 14mm wrench.
Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Last edited:

rharrington1988

The drain plug I pulled was in a little circular hole like that. Drained like 2 gallons which led me to think maybe it was tranny fluid when I saw this website. It's at the very back about in line with the rear tires in center of machine and looks like that picture. Think I should invest in a manual lol. It was golden brown and oil like.

rharrington1988

I'm with D&D Farms, If you damaged the motor, it's already done.
I would drain the engine completely and refill, cross your fingers and give it a try. These are tough little engines.

The picture you posted is the trans drain plug. Is this the plug you tried draining excess engine oil from? If so now your trans is now low. The engine drain is forward.

Good Luck!

Yes it was.. Well fill tranny, drain 3 quarts from engine, and see what happens. Thank you so much. Looked like motor oil!

RealtreeRTV

Super UDT2 for the trans, and a good diesel rated oil like Rotella for the motor.

I would drain the engine completely, not just 3 quarts.

Go back to my previous post, I added to it.

A manual would have helped you a ton.