PTO generator for mahindra 3510

kennyd

Planned pulling vs. something kicking on is my issue.
Let's say we're purring along pulling 10KW then the hot water tank or something else kind of big kicks on. That may bog it down. Well, any electronic appliance that's on and running (TV, microwave...) may very well be toast due to the low-voltage condition.

Due diligence to monitor what's running is your best bet but I guess I'm just warning about brown-out conditions and what will happen (having lived through a brown-out on commercial power). Electronic components are prepared for spikes or immediate shut down (black out) but most don't have a "low voltage" shutdown and therefore fry.

Absolutely correct. BUT that situation can happen with any generator, not just PTO driven ones.

B

bczoom

Absolutely correct. BUT that situation can happen with any generator, not just PTO driven ones.
But in the scenario given where the gen is 30hp min and the tractor is 23, it may be more likely since the tractor doesn't have the HP to keep up should there be a load.

Mobilus - Sorry, can't help with the NT gens. Out of curiosity, have you considered a stand-along genset? Like a log splitter, I prefer them since it keeps my tractor free should it be needed as well as puts the hours and punishment on a more "throw away" engine.

nixon

ok, its been a miserable winter in KY! and we've been lucky, only lost power a short time, but i keep thinking what if!

soooo, i'm looking for a PTO generator for my 3510 as its the only diesel i have on the place...

i know the generators size will be decided on the PTO hp, i don't have the specs, but i'm guessing maybe 30 hp?

will this generator be too big for the tractor? i'd like to have a larger generator, but this one will be sufficient... i think...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36914_36914

If You're absolutely committed to a Pto Gen from Winco ,Look at the W11ptos on their web site .
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=winco+gene...ods+Locations&ab=0&u=http://www.wincogen.com/
According to their site it takes 2 pto HP to run 1KW .

olcowhand

3510 is rated at 28 PTO HP according to the Mahindra website - and if it's less than that, I'm in trouble since I just bought a 6' RC mower for mine yesterday. (local TSC goofed and labeled everything with last years stickers, so I got it for $100 off their catalog price!)

34hp overall...28hp at the PTO.....you'll be fine.

Heaven Net

i'm not sure how large to go, but i am considering this one...

NorthStar PTO Generator — 13,000 Watt, 24 HP Required
Single-phase generator cranks out 100 Amps @ 120V, 50 Amps @ 240V. Requires 24 PTO HP or more for rated output: 13,000 surge Watts and 12,000 continuous Watts.

i suppose its probably overkill... i've kinda backed off when i think about securing it from theft, that got to be a problem. i can think of ways to secure a portable, but not really a 3 point hitch type...

i imagined by buying this one, i'd be spending the most money on the actual generator rather than having to buy the motor too...

i have a 5K we used a while here, but its really noisy and it became somewhat of a problem to find fuel for it... i dislike storing a lot of gas on the place, and its really difficult to syphon fuel these days... they've got my vehicles tanks set up where i couldn't get a hose into them... i've most always got a full tank on the tractor though, i think it has a 12 gal tank? not sure... i'm also wondering as you mentioned about the fuel consumption...

i don't intend running the heatpump, we've propane fireplaces in the house... but a bit of hot water would be nice once in a while, and with 2 freezers full, we got a bit worried... fridge stuff is expendable, nothing much there we don't replace weekly...

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
There's also an interesting PTO generator manufactured by International Manufacturing and Design that comes with AVR. I don't have any idea how that would work on a PTO generator?

Sorry I don't have a link but Google them.

nworbekim

since i started this thread...

well, i've spent the whole summer with this thought, and i finally have chosen and installed a kohler 10K propane backup generator, a 500 gal propane tank, 2 propane fireplaces, and am considering a propane water heater...

with the cap & trade an issue, in KY, electricity could get REAL expensive...

i decided to not tie my tractor down with a generator... i got to thinking, if its an ice storm like we had last winter, i may need the tractor to help clear the debris...

with 10K, i should be able to fulfill all of our electrical needs up to, and possibly including the heatpump... don't know... really don't need it... i got the biggest propane fireplaces we could find...

i've used one in our basement family room for several years, and if i don't put a fan in to circulate the heat to other parts of the basement, we suffocate with the thermostat control set on the very lowest, just above the bare pilot light burning :)

soooo.... i was here to question about a part and saw this was still active... so i decided to comment...

i'm sure y'all will make the right decision for your circumstances...

seeyabye!

B

bczoom

How big is your heat pump? If I recall correctly, you need a 15KW with about 22KW peak to start and run a 3-4 ton heat pump.

nworbekim

uh, shamefully, i'm not sure what size the heat pump is... a bud of mine is a contractor and i just told him to do it... but we don't depend on it... its set at 68 degs, and the propane logs keep it from hardly ever kicking on... i fill the tanks in the summer for $1.50 or so per gal and use about 300 gals per season, the electric bill jumps about $50 a month during the winter...

i was in error abt the generator, i was informed that as i'll be using propane, the output is more like 12K... good new for me :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are getting off fairly cheap for heating costs.