Chinese Mahindras???

shinnlinger

Dougster,

Dont jump to conclusions, IF the Chinese are held accountable the CAN build decent stuff. They have shown that in the past decade.

That said, What needs to change is the corporate decisions (USA and elsewhere) to maximize short turn profitability to make their stockholders happy at the expense of long term reputation and a happy workforce (if any workforce).

You are doing YOUR part by voting with your dollars. If you dont like where or how it is made you are not buying it. Good for you.

I try to buy used.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, Dont jump to conclusions, IF the Chinese are held accountable they CAN build decent stuff. They have shown that in the past decade.
I would ask you to show me where specifically they have demonstrated that. Was it the exploding defective flanges that they built that were used in the power plants I built? Or the exploding car and trailer tires that were recalled last year? Or the defective dog food that killed too many family pets? Or is it in all the lead paint we are seeing in so many Chinese toys? Or the defective crayons? Or that poisonous Chinese toothpaste? Or the garbage Chinese computer parts that I replace almost every week? :confused:

The quality you speak of certainly wasn't in the hideous, dangerous piece of junk wood chipper that I was unfortunate and stupid enough to have bought last year. Never again for moi!!! :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bindian

Dave from Dave's Tractor says he has been to the Mahindra plant in China and states that Mahindra spent several years cleaning the plant up. So it might just be an Indian tractor built in a Chinese plant. I also think he said he bought one for a rental unit. So he will be evaulating one in the harsh rental abuse market. We will see how she stands up there.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dave from Dave's Tractor says he has been to the Mahindra plant in China and states that Mahindra spent several years cleaning the plant up. So it might just be an Indian tractor built in a Chinese plant. I also think he said he bought one for a rental unit. So he will be evaulating one in the harsh rental abuse market. We will see how she stands up there.
hugs, Brandi
Well, Dave is an obvious nice guy and a very successful tractor dealer... but really, what else can he say? :rolleyes:

It's kinda like me trying to put my best face on yet another bowl of gruel. :eek: I don't have any other choice. :(

Dougster

rback33

hugs, Brandi

You got most of it... Wallace is putting one in his rental fleet. The rest was spot on.:tiphat:

Bindian

Well, Dave is an obvious nice guy and a very successful tractor dealer... but really, what else can he say? :rolleyes:

It's kinda like me trying to put my best face on yet another bowl of gruel. :eek: I don't have any other choice. :(

Dougster
Dougster,
Or me saying I love working nights;). I get the point and agree.:beer: We'll see how they wring out in the rental fleet(s).:waiting:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
You got most of it... Wallace is putting one in his rental fleet. The rest was spot on.:tiphat:
Dougster, Or me saying I love working nights ;). I get the point and agree. :beer: We'll see how they wring out in the rental fleet(s).:waiting:
hugs, Brandi
I suppose so... but just the attitude I get reading between the lines... and the apparent desire on the part of M&M and M-USA to play to the low end of the market leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I can no longer recommend Mahindra, the brand. Now I must pick-'n-chose... and qualify my recommendations. This is not a good thing.

Perhaps I am an extreme case. Perhaps with high enthusiasm & vocal support come big disappointments & disturbing letdowns. Perhaps others will buy into the China thing where I won't. And as others have said, there are plenty of other proven brands out there in the marketplace ready to take my money if Mahindra no longer wants it. :rolleyes:

Dougster

shinnlinger

Dougster,

I said IF they are held accountable. They are often not becasue it means less $$$ for the stockholders. If Mahindra said to them the deal is null if we get above a 2% recall rate due to workmanship (or whatever is a acceptable rate) You can bet your bibby they would make great tractors. Of course Mahindra (or any other company) would never say that as then they would loose their investment in the factory over there.

I am sorry you had bad experiences, and I am by no means defending Chinese products as you are right much of it is crap, but I hold the parent companies accountable for that as they allowed it if not encouraged it by pushing profits over common sense.

Mith

Would you care to cite any examples of chinese parts used in JDs?

I dont have a Deere here to find particular parts, but if you crawl around on many of their compacts and sub-compacts, or look at the markings on some parts you will see 'made in china'.
I could find some specific examples if you want.
I believe Deere does infact own a plant in China.

GLAWALL

I just don't uderstand that...for that much money, you can go ORANGE!

I decided to put in my 2 cents. The 25 HP orange tractor is a tinker toy, compared to this 25 HP, 3400 pound Mahindra engineered tractor. equipped with the KMW, US made loader, whith 1200 # lift capacity, and that is to full height. Mahindra has taken this Chinese engineered tractor tested it for 2 plus years, and has went back to the drawing board 200 plus times. I believe 226 to be exact. Thus this tractor has become a Mahindra engineered tractor buildt in a Mahindra owned, operated, and managed plant located in The Peoples Republic of China. I believe you will be surprised with this tractors performance and I know there is a market for this tractor in this country. People are always stopping looking at the Mahindra's thinking they can buy them for what the present Chinese made tractors are going for. The 2525 will be competitively priced with the Chinese competition and you get a 2 year warranty, parts and service support, a good dealer network, and Mahindra low rate financing.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY
585-343-0770

PS: Pieces and parts of the green tractors are made there also.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, I said IF they are held accountable. They are often not becasue it means less $$$ for the stockholders. If Mahindra said to them the deal is null if we get above a 2% recall rate due to workmanship (or whatever is a acceptable rate) You can bet your bibby they would make great tractors. Of course Mahindra (or any other company) would never say that as then they would loose their investment in the factory over there.

I am sorry you had bad experiences, and I am by no means defending Chinese products as you are right much of it is crap, but I hold the parent companies accountable for that as they allowed it if not encouraged it by pushing profits over common sense.
That is a pretty big "IF" there Shinn!!! ;) The plain fact is that almost nothing I have ever purchased in my entire sorry life with the term "Made In China" printed somewhere on it has ever been a notable example of high quality or given exceptional service or great owner satisfaction. I am trying to think of some good examples of this high Chinese product quality of which you speak... but I am coming up a little short. :eek: I'm sure there must be some... but I just can't think of any sitting here this morning. Maybe I just need another cup of Starbucks :starbucks: Coffee to kick-start the old brain. :confused:

And I also don't see where M&M (China) is gonna have some unique ability to change this sub-par Chinese materials and manufacturing quality situation. My gut tells me that it is deeply ingrained in the culture and government of China to meet their read of the minimum specs with as little cost, effort, testing and quality control as possible. I just don't see the traditional concepts of worker and management responsibility and pride in their finished product that we have seen in other "free" cultures.

Maybe I am the exception to the rule. :eek: Maybe others are having fabulous luck and great owner satisfaction with Chinese products. Lord knows that Harbor Freight is always a busy place so maybe it is just cranky old eccentric moi. :(

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Would you care to cite any examples of chinese parts used in JDs?
I dont have a Deere here to find particular parts, but if you crawl around on many of their compacts and sub-compacts, or look at the markings on some parts you will see 'made in china'.
I could find some specific examples if you want.
It is a fact Paul. :eek: I wish I could tell you different, but it's true. I saw it with my own eyes (even though the salesman tried to brush it off) when I was shopping in '06. It's probably worse now. Head on down to your local dealer and see for yourself. Get yourself a Starbucks :starbucks: Coffee on the way... it will make it a little easier to take. :eek:

I think you know that I am a fan of John Deere. But for an odd twist of fate, I would own a JD 110 right now. I still hope to own a JD 310 or 410 someday. But the fact is that Chinese components are starting to appear on these American flagship brand products and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. :(

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Mahindra has taken this Chinese engineered tractor tested it for 2 plus years, and has went back to the drawing board 200 plus times. I believe 226 to be exact. Thus this tractor has become a Mahindra engineered tractor built in a Mahindra owned, operated, and managed plant located in The Peoples Republic of China. I believe you will be surprised with this tractors performance and I know there is a market for this tractor in this country. People are always stopping looking at the Mahindra's thinking they can buy them for what the present Chinese made tractors are going for. The 2525 will be competitively priced with the Chinese competition and you get a 2 year warranty, parts and service support, a good dealer network, and Mahindra low rate financing.

Hi Galen - As I've said before, I have nothing but respect for the Mahindra dealers that post on-line here and elsewhere. You ARE our best source of information... technical, operational and otherwise... and I appreciate it greatly. But I must respectfully make the following points:

Of course there is a market for a cheapie tractor. I'm sure there is a market for an $7,000 tractor... even more for a $5,000 tractor... even more for a $3,000 tractor... etc. Tell me of market research anywhere that doesn't show demand for a product at 3/4 or 1/2 of the going price? I'm glad you will have more bottom feeder sales... but I am looking at this from the perspective of a current owner and likely future buyer. I am seeing little positive beyond cheap initial price from Mahindra's new "Go Chinese, Go downscale, Go cheap" focus.

I am also not favorable impressed by the number of times M&M (China) has had to go "back to the drawing board" to get this cheap new Chinese tractor to work. I see that as a negative... very telling of the materials and manufacturing quality problems in China... not as a positive.

I am also baffled at why M&M cannot produce a competitive low-end of the market tractor in India. This makes no sense to me. I would fully understand M&M's desire to penetrate the Chinese tractor market in a much bigger way. That makes perfect sense. But building cheap tractors in China for sale in the American market seems to undercut Mahindra's growing reputation here for high quality comensurate with high value. To me, this is a marketing disaster in the making. Just look at TYM's "Made in China" tractor experiment/fiasco.

But most importantly, I am NOT saying to M&M and M-USA: don't ever bring this cheapie, downscale, Chinese tractor to these shores. I am saying: a) Please give this tractor some serious real world field time far, far away from the American marketplace... and b) Please market it under a different brand name for at least the first 5 years. Let the damn thing prove itself before you let it wear the Mahindra nameplate.

Sears does it with Craftsman (USA) and Companion (cheap China junk). Whirlpool did it with Whirlpool and Roper. Tire manufacturers all do it all the time. Why degrade the Mahindra nameplate at this point in time when it is making good headway in the premium tractor sector? Why sink to the level of Jinma just to make a few low-end bucks? I say let the new Chinese tractor earn that label. Keep the premium quality Indian, Japanese and Korean tractors separate from the Chinese tractor in the minds of buyers or risk the collapse of the current loyal Mahindra following. :(

Mahindra really needs to figure out what it wants to be in this American marketplace. A high reputation, high quality, high value alternative to the Big 3 brands? Or competition for the likes of Jinma? :(

Dougster

GLAWALL

Doug,
I think you will be surprised and I certainly hope so. One thing I have learned from Mahindra, is they don't hurry any thing to market. If it wasn't ready for this US market, they wouldn't have it here.

Galen LaWall
Batavia, NY
585-343-0770

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, I think you will be surprised and I certainly hope so. One thing I have learned from Mahindra, is they don't hurry any thing to market. If it wasn't ready for this US market, they wouldn't have it here.

Galen LaWall
Batavia, NY
585-343-0770
Well, fortunately for you and M-USA, I am probably not your average average CUT/TLB buyer today. I would never even entertain the idea of buying a Chinese-made tractor if my life depended on it. Poor and destitute as I am, I'd swallow hard and figure out a way to pay for a Kubota if that's what it takes to stay with a proven, quality machine.

M-USA has apparently made a decision that their future competition is Jinma and not Kubota, Deere or New Holland. I find that unfortunate and disappointing. I'd rather see my favorite brand reaching for the top in terms of reputation, quality and value rather than focusing its efforts on the bottom feeders.

Dougster

GLAWALL

Doug,
It is only one model, They are not abandoning the rest. And by the way I also saw the Indian Mahindra made replacements for the 10 series tractors. It looked good.

larryRB

Doug,
I think you will be surprised and I certainly hope so. One thing I have learned from Mahindra, is they don't hurry any thing to market. If it wasn't ready for this US market, they wouldn't have it here.

Exactly what Mahindra's problem is,, they don't listen and secondly, they take forever to come out with something, in the meantime, they continually lose to other competition,.. I said in an earlier post that the big shots won't listen and this is what happens from it.

UncleBuck

Doug,
Indian Mahindra made replacements for the 10 series tractors. It looked good.
Galen
Now you caught my interest, are the Korean versions of the 10 series OFFICIALLY gone???? in 10-20 years when my grand kids are working on my 4110,:pat: , are they out of luck for parts or will Mahindra maintain some sort of parts inventory :shitHitsFan: ,or will they have to spend my life insurance money to buy that Chinese made John Deere :yum: