New (to me) Tractor

Nick

After literally months of looking, I finally bought a used tractor that I think I'll be happy with. It's being delivered later this week. I like a lot of the Branson's features, but most of all I like the weight of it. I believe it weighs in at 3700 pounds - considerably more than some of the other compact tractors I've been looking at.

It's a Branson 2810. It's 4WD, AG tires, with FEL, but not Hydrostatic. It has about 100 hours on it. It also came with a bushhog, and pallet forks. I wanted something a little bigger, but this one should do what I need it to do, which is primarily gathering up wood over 20+ acres, and moving it to a burn pile, and gravel driveway maintenance. Not sure where I'd use the bushhog yet, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day. The pallet forks (a separate attachment - not the kind that bolt to the bucket) are pretty heavy duty though I'm not quite sure what I'll do with them:wink:

Anyway, I had a question regarding maintenance. Current owner says the 50 hour service was done at a dealer. I don't have maintenance records for it, but I assume they changed the oil and hydraulic fluid filters, and cleaned the fuel filter bowl. Would they have typically changed the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours?? It's now due for 100 hour service, and I want to change the filters, but I'm wondering if I should also change the hydraulic fluid at the same time. Owner found the manual. and I'm sure time interval specs are in the manual. Any thoughts in the meantime?

One more question. Previous owner kept the bushhog mounted at rear of tractor most of the time, and consequently was not worried about rear end ballast. I won't have room to do that, so I would want to get the tires filled for additional weight when using the FEL, or pallet forks especially. I've read stories about something called 'Rim Guard' (beet juice?) being used for rear tire ballast, as well as the more common anti-freeze/water mix. One dealer never heard of 'Rim Guard' - he uses antifreeze/water mix. How much might I expect to pay a tractor dealer or repair facility to fill the tires with either? Can I do it myself with the right valve? Rim Guard might not be available to end users though, and has to be done at a dealer (??). Is there anything else that can be used that won't rust out the wheels of course.

Thanks for your comments.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my experience loaded rear tires are needed but aren't nearly sufficient to offset my loader.

I keep the box blade on for ballast when I don't need an implement. And I welded a trailer hitch on the BB so I can pull my little 4x8 trailer around for harvest etc.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Nick,
Congrats on the new tractor. I've looked at the Bransons and really liked the 2810. HST is great, but you can't get every feature you want sometimes.

The Rim Guard is made up in Michigan somewhere and only sold to dealers. Here's their website.

My dealer told me at the 50 hr mark that they don't usually do anything with the hydraulic or HST filters at 50 hours, but I told them to change them anyway. The fluid was not changed. My tractor calls for the fluid to be changed at the 300 hr mark for the first change.

If you think you need rear ballast that's close to the tractor, get a barrel, poke a couple of holes in the side, put a drawbar through the holes and fill with concrete. Attach the top link to the barrel.

Nick

Branson Tractor Pix

Got a chance to take some pictures of the Branson tractor last week. Used it to pull some fallen trees, move cut limbs and trunks to a burning area, and tend the bonfire. Also used the pallet forks to move some large logs. Used the bushhog to cut grass along the roads. Tractor worked very well. The bushhog is a 6 foot model, and I think a 5 footer would better fit on the many trails.

Attachments

• IMG_1850001.jpg
    IMG_1850001.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1851001.jpg
    IMG_1851001.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1852001.jpg
    IMG_1852001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1853001.jpg
    IMG_1853001.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 41

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking rig you got there Nick. It looks like new! :thumb:
It will be a workhorse for you I'm sure.
Sorry I missed your original post ...boating & vacation got in the way. :hide: :D

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Nick, looks GREAT!

In my experience loaded rear tires are needed but aren't nearly sufficient to offset my loader.

I keep the box blade on for ballast when I don't need an implement. And I welded a trailer hitch on the BB so I can pull my little 4x8 trailer around for harvest etc.

I copy California, loaded tires and leave the box blade on when I don't have another implement. I just don't have the trailer hitch :unhappy:

billbill1

Wind shield washer fluid works for loading the rear tires too and isn't harmful to animal if it leaks out. For rear ballast, I have seen folks use a 55 gallon drum, put a 3 point bar through it and fill it with concrete. Makes a cheap ballast box. I keep the 6' finish mower on mine all summer so I use that for ballast.

jbrumberg

Nick, looks GREAT!

I copy California, loaded tires and leave the box blade on when I don't have another implement. I just don't have the trailer hitch :unhappy:

Ditto: Jay. BTW congratulations on your "new" tractor; nice looking rig :D. Use it safely and well. Jay :)

Erik

looks an awful lot like my 35HP version (same frame). Enjoy and good luck! and if you really decide the 6' mower is too much, I'd consider trading you for my 5' one. ;) as a last bit, I use my box blade as a counterweight with buckets filed with concrete for additional weight - that way when I'm mowing, I don't sink as deep in the marshy bits of the pasture.

billbill1

Eric, I have two 6' finish mowers and one is for sale, come and take a look. The 6' works real well behind my 28 hp tractor. I have a Jbar (4 sale) and a King Kutter that I use to mow with.

Nick

looks an awful lot like my 35HP version (same frame). Enjoy and good luck! and if you really decide the 6' mower is too much, I'd consider trading you for my 5' one. ;) as a last bit, I use my box blade as a counterweight with buckets filed with concrete for additional weight - that way when I'm mowing, I don't sink as deep in the marshy bits of the pasture.

Erik,

Coincidentally, I happened to look at a new 3510h Branson before I bought the used 2810. The 3510h was the hydrostatic version as I recall. It had some nice features that I would have liked, but of course a new tractor was considerably more money than the used one I bought.

Nick

Erik

I've been plenty happy with my shuttle shift, and impressed with some of the things I can do with a tractor this small.
good luck and keep us posted with some of your projects!

urednecku

Congrats on the 'new' toy!
On my new Kubota, they recommend at 50 hours to change ALL filters and lubricating fluids, hyd included. The new parts will have a certain amount of metal shavings as parts break in that need to come out of the system.
Where do you live? In central Florida we just use water to fill the rear tires. If you have tubes in them, the liquid won't get to the rims. Of course if you live 'up north', you'll probably need something that doesn't freeze!

billbill1

Eric, I have a shuttle shift as well, I really like it, very good for loader work IMHO. Now if it were syncro, that would be the ticket.