Could Someone Please Help Me Identify This Sickle Bar Mower

aquaholic

it was on my 1960 minneapolis moline jetstar if that means anything. i need to buy a new blade bar for it and need a few other miscellaneous parts but i dont see a name plate on it anywhere. it is a mid mount. there is a pulley under the tractor and 2 hydraulic ports on the side of the tractor that it bolts to. unfortunately i took the hydraulic cylinder off of it before i took the pictures because i need to get it repaired.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that one has me stumped.

Does that mounting plate or any other part appear to be aftermarket or not part of the original mower?

That mounting plate makes it pretty proprietary to Moline. If it was a 3-point model, it could be any brand but I'd be leaning towards New Holland.

aquaholic

i gotta believe that plate was made specifically for minneapolis moline jet star tractors because the holes line up with 4 giant bolts under the belly of my tractor and another bracket still attached to the side of my tractor. i found a number on the tooth guards of MC-2041 which i looked up as international harvester but they may have used those guards on other brands to. i just don't know.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's the large spring that was making me think New Holland (something like a 450 or 451 model) but after looking at the pic again, I'm wondering if that was something added as part of the new mounting for the Moline.

The springs fit doesn't look OEM. It appears to probably rub on the bracket on the left side. (basically, the spring isn't exactly straight).

I see red and yellow paint. Can you tell what the original color was?

Here's what I believe colors were for that era.

Red
International
Farmall
Massey
McCormick
New Holland
Ferguson
Ford (but newer are blue)

Yellow
Moline
Triumph
General industrial equipment

Orange
Allis Chalmers (or could be yellowish)
New Idea
Case

Green
Deere
Oliver
Deutz (pale green)

Other
Deere - yellow for commercial
Pitman - they used all different colors.

aquaholic

I think it’s a minneapolis moline model SO side mount sickle bar but I’m really having a hard time finding another picture of it or someone to verify that.

aquaholic

i do actually have it verified now that i do in fact have a minneapolis moline model SO side mount sickle bar mower and have an owners manual on the way for it that i got off of ebay. Can anyone direct me to where i could possibly buy parts for it?