Outage

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Power outage got us again. Back up now and ready for the holiday. Happy 4th everyone. :beer:

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Way to go Doc! Storms been rough around here lately and power on and off. Glad you got it up and going again and thanks. :wave:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another outage. My area has been hit hard with with torrential thunder storms the past week or so. Plus rain daily does not help matters any. Flash flood watches in effect all over. There was a power blip at our server site but when power was back on we were still out of business. Was afraid of a hardware failure, but it appears it must have been an outage at our ISP. Still not sure, but we are back.

below is a pic of a road about 10 miles from our server site:

Attachments

• RoadGone.jpg
    RoadGone.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It appears our UPS is doing us no good at all. Every little power blip we lose everything. Then when the server comes up I have DB errors galore. We are back. Sorry for the outage. Now we have to shop for a good UPS unit. I might have a spare at home ....hoping.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It appears our UPS is doing us no good at all. Every little power blip we lose everything. Then when the server comes up I have DB errors galore. We are back. Sorry for the outage. Now we have to shop for a good UPS unit. I might have a spare at home ....hoping.

Doc, have you checked the server internal battery? Might not be a battery but an extremly large value capacitor.

The switching transient from the ups might be scrambling things. Either the servers too sensitive or the spike is too high. A power conditioner should take care of that. A full time ups rather than a switcher should help too.

If all else fails maybe you need to change battery brands!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 21

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had not considered that Jim. :tiphat: Thanks!
but this UPS has been on it's last leg for over a year. It worked for short blips so we did not replace it. Now it appears it will not sustain power for any length of time at all. so we know we need a UPS.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bad battery in the ups would do it. In addition to storage a battery acts as a filter to clamp surges and the like. If it's going bad it will let the switching spikes go through to the ac output. The weaker the battery the more ac trash that comes out.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang. Another outage. Storm rolled through here and knocked out power at the data server place. Power back on at a little after 10. Servers back up around 1030 ...with plenty of database errors. Database errors all fixed around 12:40. What a night. This crap has to end.