jd x300

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A picture is worth a 1000 words for this one.

Did you have a picture of the routing of the old belt?

I can think of 3 things that cause this.
Belt is not routed properly between all the pulleys.
There's a tensioner spring that's not connected to an idler pulley.
There's an arm that's connected to that tensioner spring that needs to be turned to a location to put tension on the spring.

Do you have any pictures or schematics?

You want to make sure the V portion of the belt goes into the grooved pulleys (i.e. the spindles).
The flat (back) part of the belt goes on the wide, flat pulleys.
Then eyeball to make sure the belt isn't touching anything metal. If it is, the belt isn't routed properly.
Check the idler spring to make sure it's attached.
Where it attaches to the tractor at the clutch, if there's more than one pulley (of different sizes) and your belt is loose, put it on the larger pulley.

Does this look like yours?
MP38302________UN18AUG06.gif

I think the tension spring is the problem . However the two pulleys B in the pic are now almost touching on my belt,in other pic they have more separation, I listened the nut on the pulley to move the pulley to the right it but that did not stay fixed. I did not loosen the pulley when I removed belt and the nut has to be loosed to move tension
OMM163031_H058.jpg
a

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you still have your old belt (broken or not).

If pulley B on the right is getting close to B on the left and therefore shortening your tension spring, that sounds like the new belt is longer and the tension spring doesn't have enough contraction to take up the slack.

It is the right part no. w/ or w/o belt tensioner,If it has a belt tensioner I have not located it.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The tensioner I was referring to is the spring.

On your tractor, is there more than one sprocket at the clutch? If so, it should probably be on the bigger one.

Can you take some pics of how yours looks right now?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My 332 in Ark has a belt tensioner right below where it comes up from the deck and goes to the engine pulley. It consists of 2 pulleys and a knob to tighten the belt with.. It is in Arkansas though so no pictures. collie

since the grass has not stopped growing and I am now an expert at removing the mower deck(at least 5 times). I sent it to the dealer to correct. so next time I will know ,never looked at how it was on before I took belt off, However I placed belt exactly like the pic I submitted before here from manual.did not work for me. learned a long time ago,everything in a book ain't necessarily so...