Looking For Steering Shaft For 1983 JD 1050

snowdrift

I am trying to find a steering shaft for a 1983 John Deere 1050. The shaft has to be replaced as the bearing surface on the threads on the bottom end of the shaft are separating. The shards of metal jam the ball bearings and force the tubes apart, spilling the bearings into the steering box. I've rebuilt it seval times over the last few months but it doesn't last long. The JD Part number is CH13316, but according to many parts managers and websites, that number has been discontinued. I've called used tractor places all over the country without any luck. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to locate a new shaft or a fair condition used shaft. Thanks. Kevin

You can see it at this link - it comes as a unit - the shaft with ballnut attached:
http://www.vernondelltractor.com/pa...ERING_AND_BRAKES/17660002/1766G050G0306000002

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Search Ebay on 'yanmar steering shaft'. There are several. You might have to verify dimensions with the seller.

This basic steering box was used on some Japanese cars, Kubota, Yanmar, and I assume Yanmar/Deere. But there were many different shaft lengths.

snowdrift

Search Ebay on 'yanmar steering shaft'. There are several. You might have to verify dimensions with the seller.

This basic steering box was used on some Japanese cars, Kubota, Yanmar, and I assume Yanmar/Deere. But there were many different shaft lengths.

Thanks. Kevin