Winch, Boom Pole, Weatherstation!

N

Nicahawk

Well I posted pics of the winch attachment, pics of the boom pole and the modified boom pole, so here are some pictures of them working as a team. Ive been working on putting up a weather station/flag pole for a while now, and today I finally got the wind sensor and flag pole up in the air!:biggrin:
I used the boom pole to lift and hold the weather station pole at about 90 degrees to help over come the severe angle, then I used the winch (note I spelled it right) to pull the pole into it's upright position. Was in a 'toot' cause I didn't wanta miss the big game. It all worked out OK and I didn't cripple myself. :pat: :pat:

Attachments

• Getting ready R.jpg
    Getting ready R.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Bottom Pulley Attach.jpg
    Bottom Pulley Attach.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Winch Attach to Pole.jpg
    Winch Attach to Pole.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Halfway UP.jpg
    Halfway UP.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Almost Up.jpg
    Almost Up.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1142.jpg
    100_1142.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

quincy

Wow, good work. That is some flag pole, what... 30-40ft ish? Nice consistant air movement up there. good for your weather station, nice for the flag too. Nice job!

N

Nicahawk

The total height is a little over 40'. Actually didn't measure it, but should have. I haven't tried a flag yet.

N

Nicahawk

Nica, what are those trees? I bet they really provide a lot of shade for the house in the summer time?

Those are Elms and Cottonwoods, but I don't know the variety of the Elms. These are very old and as you can see have taken a beating over the years with ice storms, high winds, and a couple twisters. They green up in spring and do provide a lot of shade. I studied the tree layout for several months before I decided the exact location for the house for just that reason. I bought the land three years ago and have been in the house two years. The machine shed was a big attraction when I bought the place. :biggrin: