Weak in reverse

cchaffee

2005 RTV900
The last couple times plowing snow i got stuck (no spinning) when i tried to back up. It's like it didn't have any umph going backwards. Barely took anything to get going, usually just angle the plow back and forth. One time it required a little tow. All forward speeds seem good.

Anyone ever have trouble like that or have any suggestions?

Curt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When was the last time you changed tranny oil and filters (and are you using OEM)?

In the early RTV's (like yours and mine), reverse was geared way to high. Instead of being geared like L gear in forward, it's closer to M. :(

It's been awhile but I remember doing a 4x4 test. Basically, put a 4x4 behind your rear wheels and see if it'll climb over it in reverse. As I recall, it wouldn't do it in 4WD but had no problem in 2WD. I'd suggest you take it out of 4WD when you get in that situation. The tires may spin in 2WD, but at least they're spinning.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BC makes a couple of very valid points......Clean fluids and filters of the correct vintage make a huge difference in power for sure

SO right about the 4WD situation in reverse with the early models. Folks were putting down the RTV back in the "day" when they were first coming out. The mother ship does listen from time to time and makes the changes. Sorry bout the problems and issues but you have figured out how to solve them........

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I plow a fair bit with my 04. I generally use 2-wheel drive unless I have deep snow which requires 4-wheel drive. A while back I pushed too far across the road and spun the wheels in 2-wheel. Engaged 4-wheel and it backed right out.

Take the previous advice and look into filters etc. as my 04 has good power in reverse so there is something going on with yours.

Kanook

We do a lot of snow plowing with our 04 RTV900. It is reluctant at times to back up after pushing into a pile of snow and needs help by angling the plow back and forth. Reverse gear as indicated previously is a little steep at least on these early models. A hand throttle lessens the frequency of these lazy reversals considerably as it keeps the engine revs up while feathering instead of mashing the pedal. Just my personal experience pushing around this Canadian snow..WHICH IT IS DOING AGAIN TODAY....UGH!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
It's interesting that more than one member has this issue as my 04 does just fine. I generally raise the plow before I put it in reverse as that makes the shift engagement easier with the lever but power hasn't seemed to be an issue. I guess I got lucky with mine.

Kanook, Snowed yesterday but melted overnight. Pretty sure those plowing days are behind us here until next winter according to the long range guess-cast.