Trade for a DR trimmer ?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
A local equipment dealer has a DR walk behind trimmer, not self propelled. I have a 16-18" single bottom plow, International brand (not IH) without coulter that he had previously agreed to consign on his yard. I haven't taken it over there yet. I spotted this DR trimmer on his website. I offered to trade him even. He'll let me know Thursday. What does anyone think? I don't have pics of the rusty old plow right now.

Attachments

• 1921481_1m.jpg
    1921481_1m.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1921481_2m.jpg
    1921481_2m.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 96

jwstewar

Staff member
How much do you think your plow is worth? I bought the Craftsman version of the trimmer last year new on sale for about $250 last year.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
The plow is probably worth $100 or less I'd guess.
The Craftsman version looks nice but they're $379-399 right now. How is it working for you? I don't have as much as much as you do to trim around, but you did see what I have to deal with at my place. After an hour or more with the Shindawia I am worn out.

jwstewar

Staff member
The trimmer runs good. But I still have mixed emotions on it. I've tried using in the front road ditch and found I'm fighting it more than I do my Echo trimmer. I tried to use it up next to some of my pine trees. The string managed to suck the whole trimmer into the tree and almost took the tree out. So then I decided to use it on the other side of the creek where I have problems getting the tractor. There is seemed like the string would break rather quickly. Not sure, but that may be a problem with the string though. I bought some string at Menards (the same .105" as came on it), but it doesn't seem to hold up us well as the original that came with it. I found some on closeout last year at Sears, so I'm going to try it again with it. Cool thing about this string I bought, it is already the right length. Not sure why they were closing it out, but it normally sold for $10 (way too much), I got it for $1. Pretty good buy at that price.

County did help me out a bit. They brought one of the tractors out with the mower on the arm and got one of the sections I've been trying to clean. Not sure why they didn't leave the tractor for the weekend.:confused2: Somehow that stuff would've managed to get cut.:hide:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah the State will do in front of my place maybe 3-4 times a year. I just pay a landscaper that cuts the widows grass next door. Anytime he is over there mowing with the ZTR just keep right on driving and do my road bank. Costs me $10. He trims around things too.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Update.............
Went to pick up the wife from work since she can't drive right now. He had the trimmer out in front of the building. When I went inside he said let's load that trimmer up in your SUV. He told me he can't remember where he got it, how long he's had it or how much he has in it. Also told my wife to "lose" the inventory card for the trimmer.
So, now it's in my garage. I'll take him the plow and drop it off when I can get a Saturday that it's not raining.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Got a chance to look at it tonight. Oil was clean and full. Air filter filthy. Fuel tank was dry, no telling how long it's been sitting since it was started. Put half a tank of gas in it and with a little priming and a squirt of starting fluid it fired up and ran well. Maybe tomorrow I can pick up an air filter and some line for it. Took it out in the yard and boy did it trim very nice. Looking it over real well, I found that one of the line plates is toast. I just won't use that one until I replace it.

Kudos go to Country Home Products for their quick customer contact.

jwstewar

Staff member
How are you liking this Jerry?

I got mine out last night. I haven't trimmed at all yet this year, so most of the grass was pretty tall. I used it to go around the kids' swingset, around the dog kennels, and around the barn and shed. Then I took it to the front road ditch. Didn't need to go down in like I normally do because it has had water in it now for 2 months from all of the rain so I just needed to do the edges. For this tall grassy stuff it worked well. I believe this is what this is more designed to do vs. what I was trying to do with it. I've learned though, that even if the string doesn't break, it wears out. It will get real flimsy and not cut well. Replace the string and it will go to town. I used it for almost 2 hours last night. Used a complete tank of fuel and probably 6 or 7 sets of string - 2 or 3 of those were used around the dog kennels and the chainlink fence. If not storming tonight, another couple of hours to go with it.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
I've tried it out once. The ground is so wet that the wheels sink in. I don't have ground under the grass, I have mud.

Westfield

DR makes good equipment! I just sold a Dr chipper shredder that thing was a beast. I sold it to my neighbor because I'm getting too old to use it but it was a good machine, very well built.