Keeping spares on hand?

Mith

Whenever something breaks down, it always seems to be on a Sunday, or holiday. Hence, most parts places aren't open.

Do you just wait until they open again, or do you keep spares and consumables on hand? If so, what kinda things do you keep?

I have all the oils and such, and things like belts, tyre repair stuff, and a fair few engine bits. Oddly enough, the bit that breaks is usually the bit I don't have, but you can only be so prepared :mrgreen:

Something I am thinking about for when I get the loader done (nearly there) is whether to keep hoses or not? I was thinking about getting a long hose, and a selection of fittings, so that that hose could be used in place of any of the hoses, might be a good idea incase one blows in a difficult place?

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
The only spares I keep are ones I know I'll use or have caused me grief before. Those that have been issues I always buy 2 even tools that I didn't have to make the repairs, like a 27mm wrench................. :)

jwstewar

Staff member
The only thing spare I keep on hand is lynch pins and hair pins for the mower - at least on a regular basis. Right now I do have another oil & fuel filter sitting on the band saw, but that is the exception not the rule. Heck, doesn't do me any good to keep something on hand, if I needed I wouldn't be able to find it anyway.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck, doesn't do me any good to keep something on hand, if I needed I wouldn't be able to find it anyway.

I can relate to that statement. :yum:

I have a fan belt that was for a truck ... no idea what truck it would fit though (sold or traded a long time ago) :pat:

I will get extra oil filters and consumable maintenance items like that (transmission fluid, hydrolic fluid etc...) Other than those the few items I have bought ahead of time, I usually can't find them when I need them so I end up buying another .... :pat: a vicious cycle.