Which Plow 2 Buy

Art454

So far the inexpensive Curtis has been more then up to the job. as we just normally don't get more then three to six inchs of snow at a time. However, this winter has been so cold that the snow I plowed almost a month ago is now piles of ice. If we get a few more snowstorms I will have no place to go with the stuff, as the blade weight alone without downward hydralic pressure will not get the ice. Also as mentioned above it would be nice it it would lift higher. Thanks for all the input regarding the Blizzard.~ KOBE

That's why I always push my snow far enough away in case of a bad winter with snow. You can pile it up pretty high if you raise the blade as you shove the snow up on a pile. Only one year was I close to running outa space.
Every other day it snowed or blew back in that every other day I had to go out to move it again. 30 days of that crap I had enough and it finally gave up snowing for most the rest of the year.
A snow blower for the front of this machine is really the answer.....But has to run off the rtv engine and hyd. Kubota made a mistake by not making it work this way imo.

Kanook

One of this forums members (ONFOOT) who we have not heard from in ages has a front mount Self powered blower for his 900. Looks to be a good unit for the long driveway situation. I do residential driveway clearing in the winter and use the RTV mostly for light snowfalls (4 in or less) and rely primarilly on my out front equipment for the heavy and limited manuverability situations..Like ART454 indicates, you can run out of space to put the snow when using a blade.

kobe

Thanks guys, I hear ya now, I will use this winter as a learning experience. I have about seven hundred feet of ten to fifteen degree drive that is in a cut or has stone walls on both sides, so there is no place to go. Next time I will push it clear down to the County road and let them take care of it. No, that wont work, as we are now the poorest county in Oregon, we have laid off about 80% of out county employees. The County Sheriff gets awfull lonely out there on calls.~~~~~~~~~~~KOBE

DwRam

Site Supporter
Bought a RTV 1100 in September. Added a winch at that time. Was watching this and other feeds about snow blades. Decided to get the Boss V-Blade with light kit. Plus added front and rear lights to top of cab. Then we got about a foot of snow over the last few weeks. Plowing snow in a heated cab with a blade that can be moved to many configurations. Has me wishing for more snow. And I get my wish with about another foot due for Sunday night.
So far the Boss plow has been great. If your leaning that way, just get it.

:wow:

Attachments

• Kubota 1100 V-Blade.jpg
    Kubota 1100 V-Blade.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 224

pop58

Nice looking set up there DwRam. For sure leaning that way, just not sure if I really need or want the v-plow. The straight one might do for me.
Got time to think about it because Boss won't have the mount for the new series RTV's till mid to late January.
How much was the plow light kit?

DwRam

Site Supporter
Nice looking set up there DwRam. For sure leaning that way, just not sure if I really need or want the v-plow. The straight one might do for me.
Got time to think about it because Boss won't have the mount for the new series RTV's till mid to late January.
How much was the plow light kit?

Thanks, I got everything done as a package deal. I think the light kit for the V- Blade was around $150. The 4 lights on the cab roof around $400. That included dealer doing all the work and separate light switch for front and rear.
That's what I remember without looking at the paperwork.
So far no complaints.

pop58

The remote control snow plow don't look like that much fun. Would rather do it myself and have all the fun.:drive2:

DwRam

Site Supporter
Snow plow rescue

My community has about a 1.5 mile circular drive that the county doesn't plow until other roads are clear first. This can take anywhere from 2 to 5 days. This is the first winter I've had the 1100 pictured. When we got a foot of drifting snow a couple weeks ago I used the Kubota and Boss V-Blade to plow a path around the full 1.5 miles. Plus a few drive ways and cul-de-sacs. Got a lot of thank you's from neighbors able to get to or from work.
The V-Blade can really pile the snow into stacks when you've got a lot to move.
The heated cab will keep it so warm I was sweating just from shifting and steering. Going to have to just wear t-shirt and summer shorts next time.
:winterrules:
Bring it on old man winter!!

Attachments

• 2014-01-17 08.15.39.jpg
    2014-01-17 08.15.39.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 2014-01-17 08.16.10.jpg
    2014-01-17 08.16.10.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 180

pop58

Been looking at the Boss DwRam. Do you like the V-Blade? Could you Get by with the Boss straight blade of is the V-Blade the only way to go???

Art454

Only reason I see the v plow for is side walks....seems like a waste of money for a driveway. I have a sidewalk next to the house last thing I would need a v plow would pile it up against the house then you have to shovel it all out by the house. Never had a problem with a straight blade that tilts in both directions.

BaiJiu

I've often wondered about the benefit of the v plow vs the straight plow. Over the years I owned several straight plows and they mostly worked fine, I only wish they had a sliding extension on the outside of the plow to give 12-18" extra on that side to help keep the windrows from closing in so early in the winter.

Kanook

My plow is a straight blizzard non V...I could however see the benifit of an articulating V (which I think the Boss is)..Angles left/right and V and inverted V

handy for scooping

DwRam

Site Supporter
Been looking at the Boss DwRam. Do you like the V-Blade? Could you Get by with the Boss straight blade of is the V-Blade the only way to go???

My only other snow blade experience is with a Toro Zero turn tractor with a straight blade. Not as big or strong as the Kubota and Boss blade. So I would say yes you could get by just fine with the Boss straight blade depending on the size of your job. The Toro with straight blade was just OK for my 120 foot driveway. As long as I didn't let it get over 6 inches deep. So I would guess the Boss straight blade on my Kubota would be much, much better. But after using the V-Blade, in the full out position and pushing snow off of cul-de-sacs and stacking it on the side of the road. And using the V shape to cut an initial path around the 1.5 mile circle. Then positioning blade full left or right at the push of a couple buttons. It was a pure joy to complete a lot of snow clearing, in a relatively short amount of time. Sure picked a good winter to get this setup. I'm very pleased.

:myopinion:

DwRam

Site Supporter
DwRam are you able to plow with those worksite tires or do you use chains?

With no prior experience with these tires I was somewhat worried. But I was surprised how well they did in the snow without chains. I didn't even have weights in the bed. There were times in the really deep stuff I would start to spin. So I would just raise the blade a little and keep pushing. And then get the remainder on another pass. So I would bet there are better tires to use. And of course chains would really help. But I have to say I pushed a ton of snow with out to much difficulty using the worksite tires. I might try lowering the tire pressure next time to see if it does help or not. But I don't feel at this time I need to mess with chains,

:letitsnow:

ccmdvl1960

Think of it this way: if you look a the tread of a winter tire on a car, the tread pattern is going to be much more similar to the RTV's worksite tire option than the ATV tire option. In general, the only time the ATV or AG type tire will be better in snow is when it is very deep and you will not be making contact with the ground.

BaiJiu

With no prior experience with these tires I was somewhat worried. But I was surprised how well they did in the snow without chains. I didn't even have weights in the bed. There were times in the really deep stuff I would start to spin. So I would just raise the blade a little and keep pushing. And then get the remainder on another pass. So I would bet there are better tires to use. And of course chains would really help. But I have to say I pushed a ton of snow with out to much difficulty using the worksite tires. I might try lowering the tire pressure next time to see if it does help or not. But I don't feel at this time I need to mess with chains,

:letitsnow:

Thank a lot DW nice to know they will push a plow without constantly spinning out.

BaiJiu

Think of it this way: if you look a the tread of a winter tire on a car, the tread pattern is going to be much more similar to the RTV's worksite tire option than the ATV tire option. In general, the only time the ATV or AG type tire will be better in snow is when it is very deep and you will not be making contact with the ground.

Thank you 1960 those were my thoughts when I purchased them but they sure did some spinning in snow before the ground was frozen, they certainly get around much better now.