Grapple for Bonehead

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sure looks good. Didn't Junk have a smaller but much cheaper one? Maybe we can get him to post a pic or two of his.

thatmarkhamgirl

Attachments

Ok boys now we are in my playing field.

Here is the grapple. A 60" Cost $1435.00. Check it out at http://www.markhamwelding.com. Let me know if I can help.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_0174.jpg
    100_0174.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 134

thatmarkhamgirl

Grapple Rake

:read: If you really want to get technical for clearing brush you don't need the added weight of a solid bottom bucket, especially on a tractor. You will need a grapple rake or brush grapple like this one (96" Pictured): a 60" is $1518.00.
attachment.php

Or this one: Mini gator priced at $900.00.
attachment.php
:yum:

Attachments

• 96 HD Grpple Rake side.jpg
    96 HD Grpple Rake side.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0566.jpg
    100_0566.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 126
M

mtntopper

You need tines on the bottom to let the dirt fall off your brush. It then will burn or dispose of much easier. I still like and use my Anbo grapple/rake for many different jobs. It is a very HD unit and works great for big jobs and little jobs. It does cost more than those pictured above at about 3K but is more functional in my opinion. Anbo makes smaller lighter duty units for less money. Mine gets as much use as the FEL bucket. I have even used it to back fill trenches and level ground instead of changing to the bucket on combo jobs that required brush and tree removal first.
Grapple Open.JPG

Picking up a tree by the root ball and moving it out of the way.
Pulling Tree Down With Grapple (Medium).JPG

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks thatmarkhamgirl and mtntopper for the awesome pics. Rep points for both of you.
Those look wicked. :thumb: :D

Anytime! You guys have helped me learn so much. If you need anything at all please let me know.:beer:

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I will anyway. I've been thinking about getting a 4 in 1 skid steer attach bucket with a spill guard.
Something around 84" wide with smooth blades, no digging teeth. What brand do you have and how much would it cost? Any pics available? I have a 12,000lb machine with 75hp. PM me if you would rather not post here.

Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good first post mongoose. Biggest grapple I've ever seen. :eek: Kewl.

thatmarkhamgirl

Just remember , there are alot of skid steer manufacturers out there you have alot of options, I have found that most guys regret decisions faster the quicker they made the decision, take your time and check them all out. You are more apt to be happier longer. and wo knows maybe even end up with an attachment you will really enjoy for years!:tiphat:

Dougster

Old Member
View attachment 1386Check this out, Westendorf makes good stuff
Good first post mongoose. Biggest grapple I've ever seen. :eek: Kewl.
What is that thing??? :eek: A 4-in-1??? Or a grapple??? or both??? :confused: I'd have to say it looks like a combination of BOTH! :cool:

Don't think I have ever seen one quite like that before, but how cool is that to have both a bucket and grapple available without even leaving your seat!?! :thumb:

On the other hand, anybody know the price for one around 66 inches wide??? :hide:

Dougster :starbucks:

Dougster

Old Member
Just remember , there are alot of skid steer manufacturers out there you have alot of options, I have found that most guys regret decisions faster the quicker they made the decision, take your time and check them all out. You are more apt to be happier longer. and wo knows maybe even end up with an attachment you will really enjoy for years!:tiphat:
The problem is that it takes a good hour or so working with any such specialty attachment to know if it might suit your needs on your tractor. Takes even longer if you are trying to compare models and/or brands. For most of us, that's just not realistic unless you happen to be in a situation where you can rent the exact attachment(s) under consideration for a good test run... so you give it your best shot, pay your money and take your chances.

I've bought SSUQA attachments that worked poorly with my tractor and I've bought other attachments that have been the cat's meow! In the particular case of root/rock grapples for use on compact utility tractors, I advise folks to study the weight (high=bad) vs. strength (high=good) issue very carefully and don't just assume that a grapple (or any other such attachment) that performs well on a skid steer will also perform similarly well on a CUT.

Dougster

thatmarkhamgirl

View attachment 1386Check this out, Westendorf makes good stuff
The problem with 4-in-1 buckets are people see 4-in1 they think they can move the earth off it's axis, but in reality they can't. The first time you try and move a larger than normal item ie. rock and bend or damage the back it will never close right again, this is the main problem that we have seen with these type grapples, it is a great concept but one that has not been perfected yet.:pat:

The problem is that it takes a good hour or so working with any such specialty attachment to know if it might suit your needs on your tractor. Takes even longer if you are trying to compare models and/or brands. For most of us, that's just not realistic unless you happen to be in a situation where you can rent the exact attachment(s) under consideration for a good test run... so you give it your best shot, pay your money and take your chances.

I've bought SSUQA attachments that worked poorly with my tractor and I've bought other attachments that have been the cat's meow! In the particular case of root/rock grapples for use on compact utility tractors, I advise folks to study the weight (high=bad) vs. strength (high=good) issue very carefully and don't just assume that a grapple (or any other such attachment) that performs well on a skid steer will also perform similarly well on a CUT.

Dougster

Doug, is this an indication that your grapple does not work as you had hoped?:( What is it that does not work as you thought it would?:confused:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, is this an indication that your grapple does not work as you had hoped?:( What is it that does not work as you thought it would?:confused:
I think most of you already know that my grapple's cylinders were defective when received. I didn't notice this so much in initial springtime testing on brush and relatively small rocks around my yard, but it became painfully & embarrassingly clear on my infamous multi-week "rockscape" job... the first major test of the grapple on countless 12+ inch diameter logs and extremely large rocks. It was a B%#$@ and a half to work around that defective cylinder problem, but I did get the job done thanks to the power of the Mahindra and a lot of very creative operating & maneuvering. It was not a fun (or safe) experience at all and the grapple took a monumental beating in the process. It will never be quite the same. And thank God Almighty for the CAT bucket... which ended up standing in superbly for both the grapple and the stump bucket at times, neither of which met my expectations.

The grapple's manufacturer later told me that they had gotten a large batch of bad cylinders but had thought they had identified and sent new cylinders to all those affected. Somehow I fell through the cracks. They have since sent me new cylinders, but I have not had a good opportunity to change them out and otherwise repair the grapple. This is going to require some serious straightening, sandblasting, welding and one heck of an oily mess to rectify. I cannot do it alone.

But oddly, I was not addressing that defect (which could have happened to any manufacturer) and the consequential damage. I was actually addressing the particular design and weight of the grapple... which I found through experience to be not as well-suited to my particular needs as originally hoped.

Dougster

Last edited:

dsgsr

I have an Addington Grapple http://www.addingtonequipment.com/grapplerakes.html And I like it very much. It is made with T-100 steel and I have abused it on large Rocks 2-3 ft. 1500-2000lbs and lots of brush. It opens to 60" and can grab a pile of brush large enough to lift the rear of my tractor (JD 4700) with a 1000 lb on the rear off the ground. But whats most impressive is the pounding it will take on rocks.

David