Almost heaven...

mtmogs

Here's the view from our spot in northwest Montana, looking into the high peaks of Glacier National Park. It's 40 ac. with Forest Service on 3 sides, 1/2 of an 80 ac. tract that's completely surrounded by USFS land. We like the privacy and quiet but are happy to share it with Lynx, Lions, Grizzlies, Moose, Elk, and Gray Wolf. The Packrats can stay if they leave my friggin' plumbing fittings alone! Black bears are welcome if they promise to stop making new doorways into the cabin and shop, and stop killing my Larch trees! Wolves better stop tearing down the woodpile looking for packrats! It's mostly timbered but we've done some logging.No power, phone or pavement for 40 miles, snowcat access in winter. Bought it years ago when it was affordable and I was young and foolish. Glad I did. Couldn't possibly afford it now.

Cheers

Attachments

• glacier_view.jpg
    glacier_view.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 489

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. What a view. Breathtaking.
Thanks for sharing!!!!!

mtmogs

Where are the old tour busses?

Yep, it's funny how that view takes away the pain of writing the mortgage check ever month.

Shinn, you must mean the "Jammer" buses. I think they got the name from "gear jammer" which makes sense considering they were originally using old crash boxes on the steep and winding Going to the Sun road. Several years ago they had really reached a state of disrepair, so Ford Motor Co. had them all refurbished. I think they were originally built by White Motor Company. They don't travel on the "road" up to my place. Maybe if they pave it someday I suppose.

Attachments

• jammers.JPG
    jammers.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 415

shinnlinger

Yeah, the Jammers,

I remember one overheating when I was there and a mt goat (Or maybe it was a dog, but the goat image sticks with me) licking the anti freeze. It didn't fit in with the whole scene, but that is probably my most vivid memory.

mtmogs

I remember one overheating when I was there and a mt goat (Or maybe it was a dog, but the goat image sticks with me) licking the anti freeze. It didn't fit in with the whole scene, but that is probably my most vivid memory.

You weren't imagining it! Best place to see a goat is licking up antifreeze in the parking lot of the Logan Pass visitor center. I know what you mean, not exactly a wilderness experience.

shinnlinger

Actually I was visiting an ex girfreind who worked at the park and she took me to some little lake high up in the middle of nowhere and ...well lets just say that is more vivid than the goat licking antifreeze.

NIce setting. I also remember climbing up to some fire tower and it turns out the ranger there was an aunt of a kid I grew up with.

mtmogs

Actually I was visiting an ex girfreind who worked at the park and she took me to some little lake high up in the middle of nowhere and ...well lets just say that is more vivid than the goat licking antifreeze.

I think they call that the "mile-high club."