Shed made from grain bins

bakerg

Posted this on another forum but thought you guys might be interested and give some feedback on my project:mrgreen: The roof will be the hardest part to do to get a proper seal between the bins and the plywood. Will probably shingle the roof.

With my mother selling the family farm this spring:(, I now have 2 grain bins on my acre lot that are just being used for storage. I need to have a place to put the Massey in so I came up with an idea of joining the two bins together to create a 16' x 34' shed.:cool:

Here is what I have started with.:D

I remove a section from the back of each bin.

Put a post in between the 2 bins and started installing the 2 x 8s.

Installed 2 x 10s on the back wall that the roof will attach to.

Installed doubled up 2 x 8s on the from side for the roof to connect to. There will be an openning here for two 6 foot swinging doors.

Install rafters for the roof.

After the rafters were finished and supports tied in to the bins, I install 3/4" plywood for the roof.

Made some adjustments to the spacing on the boards on the back wall and finished up the back wall. :mrgreen:

Need to frame in the doors and then side them with some aluminum siding sheets that I have.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's pretty slick!!!

Question - How did you attach the joist hangers to the grain bin in this pic?

Since you don't have any horizontal supports between the front and rear side headers or between the rafters to keep things from expanding under snow loads I'm just wondering if there could be any issues under heavy snow load.

l922.jpg

bakerg

Here are a few more pics from inside the shed.:D Hangers were screwed in with a lot of self tappers and then the the boards are tied to the bins with 3/8 carriage bolts.

Roof pictures

Here how I tied in the 2x8s and 2x10s

bakerg

Got the front doors made, and set in place. Will install hinges next. :mrgreen:

Made the doors a 1, once hinges are installed, I will cut the doors into 2 pieces. ;)

bakerg

Put cross braces on doors, installed hinges and separated the doors.:biggrin:

Installed siding on doors and back wall.:D

Will have to pressure wash siding to clean all the dirt off.:wink:

bakerg

Did a quick pressure wash to siding, looking better although that back probably needs a good scrubbing. ;)

bakerg

So I got the dirt and gravel for the floor put in between the cement slab.:)

I also got the shingles on the roof. Used the angle iron that was used to hold the bin sides to the cement and put it on the roof edge at the bins. Use Butyl caulking to seal between the angle iron and the bins and then shingled. Got to get some more caulking to seal between the angle iron and the shingles and then the roof will be sealed.:wink: Parked the tractor in the shed for the first time tonight.:wow:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks great! Having a place for the tractor is so important and adds years to it's life. :) You made a " silk purse out of the sow's ear" for sure. :tiphat: bordercollie

bakerg

Let there be light.:wow:
Installed a 360W Metal Arc light fixture in each cone.:D

Thought it was a little dark in the middle so I added an 8 foot fluorescent.;)

bakerg

Here's a shelving unit I built over the weekend with some used 3/4" pieces of plywood. Shelves are 2 feet wide on either ends and approximately 4 feet in the middle.

Someone was calling it my man cave so I decorated a little with a couple of Canadian flags and an Ontario flag.

bakerg

Put some old conveyor belting along the bottom of the doors and where to 2 doors meet to help keep out the elements.:wink: