TC 18 Stalled

bigdoghd

Just wondering if any one has had their TC18 stall out while mowing. The grass was fairly long, but I was able to cut the rest with a smaller zero turn. I hit a patch of grass it bogged down, couldn't shut the blades down fast enough and it appeared to load up? I'm using a mulcher deck on it and on my Zero turn it will do that if the grass is wet. I just shut the deck down the clumps drop out and she's good to go.

The TC tried to start, but it was at a very low rpm and wouldn't respond to the throttle. Could it have been flooded? I'm letting it set, then charging the battery and was going to try tomorrow, should I try a light spray of starting fluid. Diesel are straight forward fuel and compression (cranking speed). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi bigdoghd, Just a few thoughts which apply to the diesel JD 332 of mine.This last time I mowed the folks yard, I got into some heavy grass and had big wads of it wrapped around the blades. I had to cut it off with a knife or else the mower would die when the deck was turned on.Make sure nothing is binding under there. When my battery was weak ,the mowing deck would seem to loose power and then eventually stop. Have you checked the spark arrestor and fuel filter? A clogged one can cause power loss.Are the belts tight enough to turn the blades at full speed? I don't like to use starting fluid in the our old big tractors because of the chance of locking the engine. A mechanic told me the best was to use just a dab in the air intake but still I keep away unless absolutely necessary. Did it ever "sputter" before hand or just when you got in the tall grass? What age is your machine? Bordercollie

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
My TC18 will do the same thing in tall or damp grass. Except it will always restart. I assume when you tried to restart, you did not engage the PTO as soon as it started. Sometimes I have to back up after it starts and have another go at it with the deck raised up a bit.

bigdoghd

Thanks guys for the imput, should have told you I have a shop and I'm some what knowlegable on diesels. I replaced the fuel filter and bleed the air out and it fired and ran great for about 500'. I putt the deck down and one I got a load going, there she went again and I still couldn't stop her from dying.
Tried to restart and nothing. So I went to bleed the line again and noticed the float bowl ran almost dry? So I waited it filled up and was bled and fired right up. This time I ran it at wot back to the barn and sure enough, bam it died. So I'm thinking fiel pump or something in tank closing off flow? Anyone see this before? Also need fuel pump specs and where to tap off of?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
If I remember right the fuel is gravity fed down to the fuel bowl. I would suspect air getting in the line or a clog/debris in the tank. Might try to blow compressed air up in the tank from the fuel line. See if the bowl refills then.

You might be able to use a small flashlight and look in the tank to see if there is anything in there.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Gotta tell you what has happened to me several times on different equipment.Check the fuel lines . Tiny cracks will let air in and they will cause loss of prime!!!! I have had this happen to the Case skid steer, big JD 7420 and that JD332. If you have really good ears, you may even be able to hear the air sucking thru the hose or loose fittings.If you are quick on your feet as soon as the engine is off or after attempting to crank. I have posted this when we were on CTR so it may have transferred over here but can't remember how it was listed. The Case 1840 skid steer would crank and then go dead and would have to push the throttle all the was and crank and crank to get the fuel up then it would fire right up . It would repeat the same thing later that day. I replaced every fuel line and all clamps. It has cranked every time since. After a HUGE bill from JD on the big tractor doing the same thing( they thought it was the fuel pump, After a repeat performance, I found a loose fuel line . No problems since. I am taking several feet of new fuel line when I go back to Ark and replace it on the 332 because it has been loosing prime too. The lines are old and cracked . Even if this isn't your problem maybe it will help others but I wish you luck with this simple fix. Bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is some priceless info bordercollie. :tiphat: :thumb: Good to know.

I hope that helps you out bigdogHD. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. Your diesel knowledge will sure come in handy here. Good luck getting your TC-18 going again. Please be sure to post a followup as to what ever it ends up being. Thanks in advance!!!! :tiphat: :thumb:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hope the info helps someone. The thing is you'd think that the lines would be o.k. because there is not any leaking of diesel..but that air gets in and causes no starts and rough running too. Bordercollie

jwstewar

Staff member
Like Jerry said, the fuel bowl on these tractors is gravity fed. Don't ask me how I know :yum: Don't let that fuel line come off the tank. It is a bear to get back on. :yum: You said the fuel bowl is empty. That is bothering me. Is something in the tank blocking the hole? Is the fuel shut off turned on completely? Is the fuel filter seated in the fuel shut-off/bowl assembly correctly? I don't mean to insult you, but sometimes we all miss the simple stuff.