new fuel cap

G

Soon Kubota will be shipping a new fuel cap to take care of the leaking issues that some people are having. I'd guess it will be a few weeks till they are available, the info is not in the parts system yet. </P>

</P>

NVBadBoy

With less than 12 days remaining on my 1 year factory warranty, I decided to make a trip to town and fix the drive line rattle issue and address the leaky fuel cap problem. The dealership managed to fix the drive line rattle on Imp (my RTV's name, short for Impulse buy), but the leaky fuel cap could not be fixed as simply as new cap. The dealer said that the threads on the filler neck are cross threaded and that he would have to order a new tank. All of this would still be covered under the original warranty, so money exchanged hands.

If it weren't for other owners complaining of leaky fuel caps, I would have probably ignored that problem.

NVBadBoy

NVBadBoy

Good news.
After getting the fuel tank replaced by a Kubota dealer, there are no more leaks or fuel spills around the filler neck.

While I was there waiting, I had one of the mechanics hook up the hydraulic dump bed. I had that done just in time for some dirt moving. I can load 2 Bobcat shovels of dirt in the cargo bed and then drive to the garden where the Bobcat manueuver around without hitting sprinkler heads, overhead netting or the pond.

Initially Imp was going to be a toy; now it is a workhorse.

NVBadBoy

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="NVBadBoy"]Initially Imp was going to be a toy; now it is a workhorse.[/quote]
Glad to hear you put the hyd dump on it. I find it's incredibly valuable. I put a slightly larger box on my RTV and I can fill the box with 2a stone until it's falling off the sides and it still dumps it just fine [:D]

NVBadBoy

I don't think I have ever pushed the limit on the hydraulic dump bed. I'll have to lay some sod this weekend and I'll use Imp to drive the sod from the pallets over to the fenced yard. The Bobcat can handle 1400lbs, but I can't drive it to where the lawn has to go.

Next, I need to haul some concrete chunks to a creek about 1 mile away. This will test the bed's limit, not to mention the drivetrain. Slow and easy.....

I did notice that I'm loosing a little bit of power. It must be because the pump is driven by the engine, even though the actuator valve isn't engaged. It's not so noticable on the level terrain, but when I'm going up our driveway, I can see it bog down more frequently. Maybe that is just my imagination, or because of the added weight of the hydraulic ram and fluids. Can someone confirm my observations?

NVBB

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
NVBB

Since mine always had the hyd, I can't speak about power loss.

When it bogs down, let off the accellerator to about 1/2 way down. An aux. pump will kick in and give you more power (at the cost of speed).

Rontuski

HI, I just joined the forum, having been lurking for several months and enjoyed what I was reading--- I got my rtv in Nov of 05 and have been enjoying it very much. I noticed a post about a leaking fuel cap some time back and wasn't too concerned until a week ago when mine started leaking. I contacted my dealer and he has no information from Kubota about the problem or fix. Does anyone know of a bulletin that I can reference to my dealer. Thanks in advance.</P>

rontuski</P>

coobie

I had the same problem with my new 2006 rtv.I just replaced the fuel cap with a new one provided by my dealer.Kubota is aware of the problem according to them.coobie</P>

Ricochet

The new fuel cap (service part)has a marking that says Diesel. The threads were revised to match the RTV tank only. It's a long story, so I will leave it at that. [;)]

captmyway

hi all</P>

just checked with my kubota dealer,,, the new fuel caps are being shipped out, mine will be here the end of the week, the dealer stated you can tell the difference between the old and the new style... the new style has diesel fuel labeled on the cap while the older caps dont have anything... hope that helps anyone interested...</P>

</P>

Ricochet

[quote user="captmyway"]

hi all</p>

just checked with my kubota dealer,,, the new fuel caps are being
shipped out, mine will be here the end of the week, the dealer stated
you can tell the difference between the old and the new style... the
new style has diesel fuel labeled on the cap while the older caps dont
have anything... hope that helps anyone interested...</p>

[/quote]
</p>
Yep, pretty much the same thing I posted. [;)]

labaherd

You guy's will like this one in re guards to the leaky caps. I took rtv in for the 50 hrs service and told the service guy about the fuel leak. whenI picked it up they told me I was filling the fuel tank to full.

coobie

[quote user="labaherd"]You guy's will like this one in re guards to the leaky caps. I took rtv in for the 50 hrs service and told the service guy about the fuel leak. whenI picked it up they told me I was filling the fuel tank to full.[/quote] I would have your dealer call your area rep.or kubota,there is a fix for this.My dealerjust replaced my fuel cap on my 2006 RTV no questions asked,this is what seperates good dealers from PISS poor ones

NVBadBoy

When I had my fuel tank replaced, I got to keep the original fuel cap. I did notice that the cap is still a bear to screw off and on. True, it doesn't leak, but I hate to bust my knuckles every time I need to fill 'er up. Those with the new Diesel fuel caps, are you having to apply any force to get the cap on or off?

NVBB

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi NVBB, I will be very interested in reading the replies to your question. I too had my tank replaced along with a new fuel cap. It stopped leaking but ishard to get on and off. Always has been.I must use one of those rubber grip wrenches to avoid skinned knuckles as I fill up almost weekly. I still love this machine @ 1056 hrs! , but dread filling up. Thanks, Bordercollie[&]