RTV 900/ No start, stuck shutoff valve

ericdetoad

I have a cold start problem. After running this RTV 900, when it shuts down the shut-off solenoid pulls in the valve but the valve gets stuck in the shut-off position and you have to tap the body to reset it to start. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it? Once it starts it's good all day but overnight is when the problem at cold startup.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move this over to the RTV section of the forum so it gets more views.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if you think it is sticking it could be from sludge of varnish in the fuel. i recommend use some powerservice or sea foam additive to clean things up. it will probably take some time.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
ericdetoad. welcome to the forum. I had my solenoid go out on my 2005 several years ago. I replaced it and then it cranked fine .
When this first happened, I would crawl under the machine and manually move the solenoid lever and it would start fine. That crawling under got old though haha.
Listen for the "tink "noise a few seconds after cutting off the key. If you don't hear it then it will need to be manually moved before it will crank the next time. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119872#post119872
There are several threads on here about the solenoids though- the above is just one of them. It is an easy replacement just make a note about how the old one is positioned/mounted before you unbolt it.
I like Seafoam too. I use it every so often for what Aurthuritis says

bordercollie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Eric:
Welcome to the RTV Owners Forum. Let us know how you "fixed" your solenoid problem.
Keifer

rtng

when I had that problem it was the soleniod itself, so I don't think seafoam will help. On mine the rubber boot on the solenoid was ripped anyway, so I squirted some wd 40 in there and put a weak spring on the linkage to help pull it back. Been good so far.. (all winter)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The solenoid replacement is an easy fix and really fast. Maybe the member that replaced theirs with the aftermarket brand will chime in on how well it has held up. The Seafoam I use is for help in keeping injectors etc clean. collie

ericdetoad

well I know it's been awhile so here is what the problem was. First there was no problem with the solenoid, it was the rod that is connected to the fuel injector regulator. One of the springs broke and kept the lever that the rod moves real stiff. We got the regulator rebuilt ($$$$) and all is GOOD. The spring broke because of rust, probably because of not enough oil changes or too many very short runs without getting the engine warm enough to ward off the condensation.
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Eric