steering problems

webster

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would cause extreme toe out on my 5525 Mahindra? I bent the steering cylinder and broke the fixed end tie rod. I straightened the cylinder, welded the tie rod back together but since then have had extreme toe out. Didn't change anything else on the tie rod link. Any ideas?

Thanks,

webworm

20/20

Well if it was okay before it broke and your fix then I'd start with what ever you fixed. Check your weld and anything that you took off/put back on. If all that seems good then you more then likely bent/broke something else that you're not noticing. Have any pictures, that may help?

webster

No, I don't have any pictures. The only other things are the steering knuckle arms but they are not bent. The tie rod isn't bent either. I've had to back out the adjusting tie rod almost two inches to get the tires straight together. The broken tie rod was welded back together the same length, but it shouldn't have anything to do with toe in, just tread width.

BBmong

Have you checked out the wheel shaft where the tire bolts to or the rim itself. Other than that it sounds like you checked everything else. Does the wheel wobble at all if spun. Good luck kepp us posted.

webster

I pull a 10 foot brushhog with it and managed to run onto a stump in some tall stuff several years ago.

webster

I'm puzzled too. The only other thing that it could possibly be would be a sheared woodruff key on one of the spindles. It doesn't look like it but that is the only thing left.

:thankyou2:

20/20

I believe you'll have to tear into it. Without pictures its hard to crasp what mught be going on. Keep us updated, be interesting as to what you find.

webster

I don't know if this will work or not, first time trying. This is a drawing of the steering knuckles and such.

Attachments

• Image.gif
    Image.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 21

20/20

the diagram worked :) how about the key ways(I don't have my glasses} looks like maybe #14? I have seen the shaft that holds the key get worn out of shape and keys shear off. Looks like the bottom right could also be forced out of wack, looks like #15 and 5 are some type of clamp style bolt. Sorry if I'm not helping like I wrote I don't have my glasses. Do you have any picture of the machine itself? One other possibility is a twisted shaft on one side(or possibly both) #'s 1 and 2?