Here's an odd one

New Holland self propelled baler. Believe it or not, this one still bales hay every now and then.

Attachments

• NewHollandbaler.JPG
    NewHollandbaler.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 121

Grrrr

That machine is in beautiful condition. I don't think they ever made it to the UK ;)

Was it a one off or was it in production?

It was a production model. There were 2 variations during its very short run. They never really caught on. With all the complications of a conventional baler, PLUS the added mechanics of the ground drive, they were a maintenance nightmare. I've seen exactly 2 of them over the years.

Grrrr

I was thinking that that machine must have been an unpopular machine to drive in its heyday.

First, I can imagine how much it would lurch forward and backward with each stroke of the plunger. Balers make most tractors rock, but that thing must have been like a fairground ride ;)

Secondly, it must have been pretty damn noisy. Especially considering you are sitting right on top of it.

Thirdly, it must have been really dusty sitting so close to the knives and ram.

But still, it was an interesting idea. I saw a photo of a self propelled round baler in a magazine before that was used on really steep slopes. Some guy had made it himself with a new round baler and half a tractor.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
George, welcome aboard!

When you have a minute step over to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

Post more pictures too :D

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heres a picture of my 1280. The 1280 was built from 11-01-1961 thu 07-31-1964. The one that Farmwithjunk shows is a model 166. It was NH,s first self-propelled baler. It was built from 01-01-1956 thu 12-31-1957. The last NH self-propelled baler was the model 1426. It was built from 07-01-1981 thu 07-31-1984.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/George_G_photo/Baler.jpg

I've never seen a bailer like that. Very nice work. :thumb: Do you have a pic from before you restored it?

olcowhand

There is an older fella that makes the show circuit around central Ky that has two of those balers. Likely this could be owned by the same guy...70's age with silver hair & beard.