Old dozer/hi-lift Repairs

olcowhand

Been working last few days on my 1960 IH T340 hi-lift dozer. Right side brakes were out and left weak. The right final had a leaking top seal, so 140 oil was all over the brake discs. Had a seal on hand, & bought new brake discs for both sides. Quite a job, but not as bad as expected. When finals were removed, I discovered cracks in the main track beam the finals bolt to, so some welding to do. Should be in good shape when finished. Rebuilt engine last Fall, so this completes a going's over.
Yep, it an oldie, but does all I ask of it & then some!

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like you are way into it. Neat ol dozer.
Sure wish I had a dozer to play with. :D

olcowhand

Well,......goofed! I was sick as a dog yesterday, so easy to screw up or miss something. Dad had part of the left brake done when I went to the shop. Today we bolt much of things back together frame wise. Then, under some shop towels on the bench, I find one of the 4 new brake discs still in the package! All 4 old discs are accounted for, so one was left out! Dad gets in a big rush when he's working on stuff. I always tell him to slow down, but falls on deaf ears. Had I been myself yesterday, I think I would have caught it before things got too far. Oh well, I'll be good at pulling finals by time I get done!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL. Been there done that.
It's always easier the 2nd time but rarely is that any consolation.