Fuel Tank - light rust

cj7

Well I have a very nice L2500 that was built in 1999. Only has a few hundred hours on but... I find that I have some light rust on the inside of the fuel tank. It is flaking some and clogging the filter which of course cuts back on the fuel delivery.

So I must decide if I should:

1. Replace the tank with new?

2. Pull the tank clean and rinse and try a tank sealant?
What brand of sealant?

So let me know what you guys think. The tank is in fine shape otherwise.

haffasst

cj, If you replace the tank your probably looking at the same problem in a year or two unless you can find aluminum or SS. NAPA has a repair kit that I used once and it worked real well. I don't remember the exact name put I do know I got it at NAPA.

cj7

I'll check at NAPA too. I was thinking something like Eastwood sells. It is an epoxy of sorts that coats the inside of the tank. But the risk is having it flake from where there is light rust. Might be best applied to a new tank?

Good thought on the AL or SS. I may be able to fab one of those!

shinnlinger

I have used a 3 part sealer kit for my motorcycle tank with good results.

It was called Kreme I believe or Kreem or Kream....somthing like that.

Any whoo, you pull the tank and plug all the holes with significant plugs. Not duct tape around your old undewear, it ain't gunna do it. You need to get big corks or somthing. I took aluminum and cut it to shape and made a gasket from innertube and then bolted it in place over oenings that had mounitng nuts....but i digress...

You then put this rust eater in it (comes with kit) and wow!!! Does it clean it up. I think You let it hang out for 24 hours laying it on different sides every 6 hours or so.

Then you pour it out (keep it around, you never know when eating rust comes in handy) and neautralize the stuff with methlyethlekeytone which is serous stuff.

WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!!!

Then pour in the kreme. rolling it all around.

I did this on my bike darn near 10 years ago and it has held up great.

Good luck!

olcowhand

Kreem works great. I've got tanks I sealed with it several years ago & the coating is good as new still. It will even fill seal pinholes. Just put a piece of tape over holes on outside of tank, then coat. The 3 step process is critical to get the rust out before coating.

haffasst

CJ. That's the same stuff I was talking about. It comes with an acid for removing the rust, and a product to neutralize the rust remover. Then the final coating. Great stuff and it really works. Just follow the directions.:wave: