Metal Detectors are Valuable

shvl73

My el-cheapo Harbor Freight metal detector has saved me twice now. Once, by finding a drive bearing and nut for my walk behind snowblower and now, by finding a nut that holds my chain saw bar on.
I was just cutting along when the chain came off. I looked and the remaining nut was real loose and the other was gone. I guess I failed to tighten them enough :pat: when I used it yesterday. I think this detector was worth the the money :thumb:, even though I wasn't sure at the time.
Its been a couple years but, I think it is this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43150

Attachments

• metal detector.jpg
    metal detector.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 129
  • nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 130

Giterdone

I can see how that would be a real bonus to the tool collection, especially if you have a gravel driveway and no pavement to work on. I have a magnetic broom that helps if you drop something close. But 29 bucks?:pat: I couldn't buy a small magnet on a string up here in Canucklehead land for less than that. :fart2:
Oops sorry, had beans for lunch.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
them things are nice i recently bought one at bass pro shops and i paid about 200.00 for it i'm still trying to figure this thng out. i haven't found any valuables yet but as soon as i get the hang of it me and the wife are gonna go treasure hunting in the woods. there was an old house in the woods about 100 years ago an we wanna go mess around and see if there is anything that someone dropped on the ground back then.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Now that is a really good idea. I wonder why I didn't think of it. Oh, I said that it was a good idea so that explains why I didn't think of it. :yum:

I'm forever losing nuts, bolts, springs and associated metal parts. Presently I use a magnet to try to find them. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.

Right now I'm slowly rebuilding parts of the board fence around the house and pasture. When I take the old boards down, I'm always losing some of the old nails that are loose and just fall out. I try using the magnet but failing that I'm sure I'll find them later with a tractor tire. That el-cheapo metal detector might just be the very thing that I need.

Thanks. I might have to steal that idea. I'm not proud. :wink:

urednecku

YEP, that is a good idea. Like the others, I use a magnet (one that came outta a speaker, about 3" or so, and real strong) and manage to find most of my lost nuts.

(Well, except for the ones I lost from between my ears.:hide:)

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
These should be a required tool for assembling AR15 lowers ........... :yum::yum:

I've been soooooooooooo lucky finding detents and springs ............... :pat:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I,ve only recently got one , its a bounty hunter from wally world , seems to be perty good for the money 150 bucks I think & you dont have to be an expert computer technition to operate it , which is lucky for me :wink:

I got it to search some old foundations & outbuildings around the property as it dates back to the late 1800,s . But so far have only used it to find lost bolts , nuts & find buryed wiring & waterlines . Perty handy little tools & you can find lots of valuables as well if you put your time into it . :cool:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Y'all bought fancy ones. I bought one for either $19 or $29 (I don't recall) but it works just fine. It's worth its weight in gold.

I can normally find a nut or bolt dropped on concrete. Dropped in a stone area is different and I reach for the detector.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Y'all bought fancy ones. I bought one for either $19 or $29 (I don't recall) but it works just fine. It's worth its weight in gold.

I can normally find a nut or bolt dropped on concrete. Dropped in a stone area is different and I reach for the detector.

No doubt bczoom , Main reason I went for the middle price range was for the settings to determine between trash & different types of metals , As well as the depth mine supposedly will find large deep objects . You know like Buried treasure chests :yum: .

Really though I,ve moved a lot of dirt along the old river bank some as much as 6 feet deep probably close to the level the bank was a 100 or more years ago . I,ve found some interesting items that I dont beleive belonged to the original property owner as well as arrow heads & such .

So it made me wonder if there may not be more interesting items even deeper . Doubtfull but doesn,t hurt to dream :tiphat: .