Hand Throttle Install on x900

So this weekend my Hand Throttle kit arrived from Messick. As noted, a reasonable straight install except for a few things. Thought I would post the issues I came up with. BTW, this is a great purchase. You can use your foot peddle as normal, but if you are plowing, working hills, or just don't want to fight it, set the throttle and go... I think one of those tranny relief valves is now in order as full throttle jerkiness increases.

Anyway.. Issues...

The instructions are unclear as to how the bolt slides in the cab. Here are some closeups. Check for dirt under the flange, it was my issue for sliding in

Attachments

• IMG_5395.jpg
    IMG_5395.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5399.jpg
    IMG_5399.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 178
(I can't figure out how to post photos inline so I am just doing seperate notes)

Now the next issue is one I am frustrated by. Kubota over welded the throttle holder a little heavy and it would not fit in the indent on the tractor. Maybe the indent is not centered (another flaw) so I ended up having to grind.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 177
Finally, had to call the wife out to hook the throttle up. Made sense for me to hold the pin in place and she, from the other side, slipped the collar / riser on, then the tab from the cable, then the washer and pin.

Also the cable clamp they provide is nearly impossible to put on without removing the tire or taking off the exhaust heat shield. I instead used zip ties strategically placed and that will work for now.

Initially I am going to say really worth the $99 Kubota charged.

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 182

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Nice! The throttle that came installed on my x1100 is spring loaded to return to hi idle... it does have one detent at hi idle like i mentioned but if you pull it all the way up it just returns to that detent. It would be nice if it stayed where I put it.

foxalaska

Nice! The throttle that came installed on my x1100 is spring loaded to return to hi idle... it does have one detent at hi idle like i mentioned but if you pull it all the way up it just returns to that detent. It would be nice if it stayed where I put it.

Same here. I use it a lot. Kind of a pain in the rear to have to hold on to it. Also would like to relocate it somewhere on the dash, like aircraft throttles.

On this sister no spring. Press the button on the top. Pull it to where you like it and let go the top button. Holds its position

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On this sister no spring. Press the button on the top. Pull it to where you like it and let go the top button. Holds its position
Mine's the same way.
BTW, once you set it where you "think" you want it, you can turn the knob and it will slowly change the RPM's up or down depending on which way you turn it for fine tuning to what you want.

What was the part number at Messicks? I did not understand this sentence. "Initially I am going to say really worth the $99 Kubota charged." Thanks for the pics and info. Mine is also 2014 x900.

ovrszd

Mine's the same way.
BTW, once you set it where you "think" you want it, you can turn the knob and it will slowly change the RPM's up or down depending on which way you turn it for fine tuning to what you want.

Yep, would especially handy if trying to maintain a certain ground speed.

What was the part number at Messicks? I did not understand this sentence. "Initially I am going to say really worth the $99 Kubota charged." Thanks for the pics and info. Mine is also 2014 x900.

$99 is a lot for a cable and a couple of clamps. But it dramatically changes the machine. I am going up steep hills in high gear. I have to back off a bit on the treddle (the go pedal) as I get to the top to keep from lugging but having the engine wrapped up before climbing is a big plus.

K7591-99450 is the number I have on my invoice.

Mine's the same way.

Gonna have to try that. Sounds like a small airplane throttle.

I would think there would be a local dealer with one in stock. Our local had a couple on a shelf (don't like the dealer and did not like his old prices, but suddenly he is now competetive).

Called the local dealer, 2 miles from me, quoted $99.00 no shipping charge. Thanks to this great forum and all the people that take time to show pics to help dummies like me.