Heavy-Duty Industrial Box Blade?

Glowplug

I have been looking around for a box blade. I know the heavier the better. I have been looking at various makes and models. Landpride seems to make a pretty decent one (HR35). I've also looked at Woods which doesn't appear to be heavy-duty enough. Woods' Gannon line may have more promise but I don't know much about them. I have looked at Cammond. Now THAT is what I would REALLY want. Their 4C5 84" model weighs over 1400#. Problem is the closest Cammond dealer to me is in Indiana! So basically I'm looking for a 7-foot wide heavy-duty box blade probably with hydraulic scarifiers in the 1000# - 1400# range. Are there any suggestions or words of wisdom out there?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That'll be one heavy box blade. When I was shopping I saw that woods offered light duty, medium duty and heavy duty box blades. The heavy duty one was a whole lot more expensive of course, but it was in the weight range you are looking for, and I was shopping for a 6ft one at the time.
You must have a beast of a tractor to handle a 84" heavy duty box blade. :eek: :thumb:
I ended up getting one from a local dealer but it's not a popular brand name (I can't remember the name right now) but it is heavy enough for the work I'm doing. It's only 60"s and it still digs in enough to make all of my 30 horses work hard. :D
First Choice makes a good blade but I doubt it is in the weight class you are looking for. Otherwise it's Woods or Landpride as far as I know.

jbrumberg

Chuck:

Woods/Gill makes some pretty heavy duty box blades/scrapers in the R, SR, and XB series. The SR30 (84") weighs 1134#'s, the R30 (84") weighs 936#'s, and the XB84 (84") weighs 1005#'s. Jay :)

Glowplug

Chuck:

Woods/Gill makes some pretty heavy duty box blades/scrapers in the R, SR, and XB series. The SR30 (84") weighs 1134#'s, the R30 (84") weighs 936#'s, and the XB84 (84") weighs 1005#'s. Jay :)

That XB84 looks pretty promising. I would really like a Cat II hitch. It's interesting that the SR30, which is heavier, has only a Cat I hitch and is rated for up to 70hp tractors while the XB84 is lighter but has a Cat I/II hitch and is rated for up to 80hp tractors.

jbrumberg

Chuck:

I did a lot of research and theorizing:smartass: before I bit the bullet and purchased my box blade/scraper. For my needs I needed a fixed rear end and although I could probably have gone bigger I stayed with the 60"'er. Is the R series fixed or floating? The glossy brochure I have is unclear as to whether or not the R series is floating and/or fixed. Jay :)

nixon

Not trying to Hijack this thread. But what are the operating between a fixed ,and floating tail board ? Thanks , John

Glowplug

Not trying to Hijack this thread. But what are the operating between a fixed ,and floating tail board ? Thanks , John

Not a hijack at all. I lifted this directly from Cammond's website. The Cammond 4C5 box blades can be used in either a fixed or floating tailboard position.

ADVANTAGES IN “FLOAT” TAILBOARD POSITION:
• Increases the aggressiveness of the front cutting edge (up to 5 times the amount of a scraper with a fixed
rear tailboard) without wearing out the front side plates by tilting the scraper forward.
• Allows unwanted material (rock, brush, etc.) to pass through the scraper without hanging up.
• Allows the scraper to pull dirt when grading from a semi-vertical slope to a flat surface.
ADVANTAGES IN “LOCKED” TAILBOARD POSITION:
• Increased strength when working in extremely hard ground.
• By extending the top link cylinder, the front blade can be lifted completely off the ground surface, which
allows the scraper to be used as a “float”. This control feature is very helpful when grading light material,
such as sand, compost, etc.
• Operates more effectively when back filling trenches, ditches, etc.

From what I've seen most people use a fixed tailboard. They can adjust the aggressiveness of it by using a hydraulic toplink.

Not a hijack at all. I lifted this directly from Cammond's website. The Cammond 4C5 box blades can be used in either a fixed or floating tailboard position.

ADVANTAGES IN “FLOAT” TAILBOARD POSITION:
• Increases the aggressiveness of the front cutting edge (up to 5 times the amount of a scraper with a fixed
rear tailboard) without wearing out the front side plates by tilting the scraper forward.
• Allows unwanted material (rock, brush, etc.) to pass through the scraper without hanging up.
• Allows the scraper to pull dirt when grading from a semi-vertical slope to a flat surface.
ADVANTAGES IN “LOCKED” TAILBOARD POSITION:
• Increased strength when working in extremely hard ground.
• By extending the top link cylinder, the front blade can be lifted completely off the ground surface, which
allows the scraper to be used as a “float”. This control feature is very helpful when grading light material,
such as sand, compost, etc.
• Operates more effectively when back filling trenches, ditches, etc.

From what I've seen most people use a fixed tailboard. They can adjust the aggressiveness of it by using a hydraulic toplink.

Here is another alternative...:D

http://www.abipropertyowner.com/products/tr3_rake.html

Glowplug

Thanks for the link. That's a neat implement. Not exactly what I want though. That looks like it would work well for driveway maintenance and seedbed preparation. Sort of like a non-PTO-powered Harley rake. It would be nice to have but what I want first is a traditional box blade for the versatility and ability to do more major grading. I'll have to put it on my 'wish list' though!:thumb:

Glowplug

Just an FYI for those interested. One other box blade I had looked into is the Monroe Tufline TB-series. I was looking at the TB384 at 1138#. I felt the TB484 at 1426# would be pushin' the limit. May be doin' some wheelies!:shock: But, once again, it has a hinged rear tailboard!:yuk:

Glowplug

Had a fax waiting on me at the office this morning for a quote for the Cammond 4C5-84. List is $4,191 but it is on "sale" for $3,500 plus freight!!:shock: Oh, well. I'll see what the price of the Landpride is.

Glowplug

Well, just got an email for the price of a Landpride HR3584. . . .$3,550!!!:eek: I guess you get what you pay for. But sheesh! Now I really need to clear this one with SWMBO!!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:eek: Man oh man those puppies are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!
I guess the price of steel has really really impacted those prices.

Redbug

Another idea, if you have the time...Possibly going to some construction or ag equipment auctions when they come up. Those prices were way more than I would have expected.

camnbc

Modern Implements sells a really good HD 7 ft box blade for about 1250.00 I dont know if you can find one in your area

Glowplug

Modern Implements sells a really good HD 7 ft box blade for about 1250.00 I dont know if you can find one in your area

How heavy duty is it? I don't want to get a light-duty 7-footer in the 600 lb. range. The Bush Hog dealer here has their SBX line of Box blades and they LOOK pretty heavy duty but are not really that sturdy. I would fear that if I had one of these lighter-duty models I would fold it in two! But I WILL check them out.

wildcard

You won't go wrong with Gannon. Woods bought them out.Don't overlook the Earthcavator, it's the only one like it out there. I had one and am ordering a new one since I can't find a used one. The 72" is $1600 and change. Built to order in CA. You can not hurt them.