RTV & Tires

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
...er, uh, we strayed a tiny bit from the topic of tires here into tiger squirrels and such. But, back on the subject, I got my new wheels and new rear tires mounted onto RTV number 2 today. Attached is a pic for your viewing pleasure. I bought four new wheels because the rims were buggered up some by whoever mounted tires last. Also got two new rear tires because they were mismatched and neither was for the load capacity of the RTV. Now have four new, good looking wheels (Visions from treaddepot.com) and two new rear tires (AT489, 22psi). Now when I get those fenders that peanut is making, you will hardly be able to stand to look at it for fear of the beauty blinding you! : )

Attachments

• DSCN4552.jpg
    DSCN4552.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 345

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good!

Are those 25x10x12 all the way around? Hard to tell from the pic, but that rear tire looks a little over-inflated. What's the tire say for operating PSI (not seating PSI)?

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
The rear tires are 25x11-12, fronts are 25x10-12. The new rear tires are rated for 22psi operating pressure and that's what they have in them. There are AT489's that are only rated for 7 psi but these are the higher load rated AT489's. These cost a little more than the 7psi ones.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, gotcha.

I change my pressure from time-to-time based on weather and work load for the RTV. In the winter, I lower the pressure to put more tread to the dirt (actually, snow and ice). When planning on running heavy loads, I run it back up to about 19 PSI.

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Sounds like a good plan, bc. I think I will drop the pressure a little in the back because I think you are right about them not having much ground contact.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Be it on my tractor, RTV, ATV or whatever, I consider it a general rule of thumb that a good ballpark pressure is where the tire tread meets the ground from the entire side-to-side width of the tread or sidewall. If overinflated, you just ride on (and therefore wear out) the middle of the tread as the outside of the tires never touch the ground.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Be it on my tractor, RTV, ATV or whatever, I consider it a general rule of thumb that a good ballpark pressure is where the tire tread meets the ground from the entire side-to-side width of the tread or sidewall. If overinflated, you just ride on (and therefore wear out) the middle of the tread as the outside of the tires never touch the ground.

:a1::thewave:

......... AND I AGREE !!!

.................. two guns

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Now when I get those fenders that peanut is making, you will hardly be able to stand to look at it for fear of the beauty blinding you! : )

Tires look super wheezer !!!!

Is your other fenders bad/broken ? :wall:

..... two guns

kobe

Lost track of who started this thread but for my two cent's worth~~~About 65 years ago my dad told me the only way to get tire pressure "about right" was to make sure that the whole tread was on the ground. He correctly made a point that the front and rear may well take different pressure. OK, we all know this. What was interesting was how he came to the right pressure. he would jack up the wheel just abour 1/8" inch, Then he would take a sheet of his roll your own tobacco paper and slip it under the edge of the tire about one quarter on an inch, and let the car down. With one hand on the air hose, you just increase or decrease pressure until you can just barely pull out the very thin paper. Sounds like a lot of trouble but you only have to do it once. For max. traction and good tire wear (With lots of rotations and remembering to change the pressure front to back) it worked really well for me. even racing Porsche's in later years.
I basically used the same system. Obviously changing the weight in any type of vehicle in total, or front to back, requires another adjustment.`~~~~~~~~~kobe

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
About 65 years ago my dad told me the only way to get tire pressure "about right" was to make sure that the whole tread was on the ground. He correctly made a point that the front and rear may well take different pressure. OK, we all know this. What was interesting was how he came to the right kobe

Your Dad kobe,
Was Correct !!!!

............. two guns

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I just installed a set of chains on the rear work site tires of my RTV 1100. Even in 4-5 inches of wet snow and soft ground underneath they didn't spin and I never gave 4 wheel drive a thought. I got the chains from AllTerrrainOnline and talked with Robin. He sure is knowledgeable and thinks highly of the RTV Series. Although the chains are imported (china) I'm hoping they last.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 302

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
That is GREAT !!!!

We have purchased much from Robin at All Terrain !!!!

They really care about what " YOU " want and need .....

Helpful folks !!!!

............ two guns :tiphat:

BaiJiu

Kiefer, I just ordered a pair of these from Amazon.ca, sure hope they work as well as yours.