Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will go with drywall ceilings with 4 access panels in places I suspect I will need access at some point. I'm interested in the vinyl flooring option. Do you have a link to some you have used before. Sounds like a winner.
Good luck with your project.
I'm pretty sure this is the one we're using.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifePro...-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I966106L/300699284

These are the floating type that interlock. Much better than the thin, self-stick tiles. They're pretty thick at just over 1/4".

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. I did look at the Home Depot offerings as we were considering their pecan laminate. I was hoping your source for vinyl flooring was cheaper than Home Depot offerings that I had seen. Vinyl seems like a great idea but with the cost I simply cannot afford to do 1500 sq ft of it. 4500 dollars vs 1500 for the pecan laminate.

I've seen the pecan down and it looks great. It will not wear like the vinyl but our basement does not get that much traffic. I think the pecan laminate will do okay. I truly don't have the option of going vinyl at 3 times the cost. I'm cheap. LOL

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know what you mean about the price. I had to buy 40 cases so it was about $2400.

Do you have a "Pro" account at Home Depot? If so, when you have an order of at least $1500, you can ask they send it out for bid. They electronically transfer your order to some place in Georgia that looks at your order, their margins and "normally" come back with a reduced price. Not so much on flooring but I've gotten 5-10% off on most other orders.

Oh, and make sure you get the 10% military discount. I get it at Lowe's and Home Depot and it's saves me over $1000 per year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thought of something else. Do you have a dog? Mine hates wood flooring. Her feet fly out from under her. I have to put runner carpets as "trails" for her to get from room to room.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just back from Home Depot. I got 20% off on the kitchen cabinets for the wet bar, and 10% off for military discount because the gal was nice. She said I needed a card. I don't have one but I have Vietnam vet license places so she was nice and gave it to me. 20% off a 2k order and 10% off a 2900 order which included 63 boxes of flooring. I never knew about the send it out for bid option.

We don't have a dog right now. Our great dane passed a couple years ago and we have not replaced her, undecided if we will. We do have a cat. (Whiskey Girl..my wifes buddy) I am aware of the trouble dogs have with the slick flooring. We have tiles in the kitchen that our grand dogs slip and slide on when they visit.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It appears I was very fortunate to get the military discount.
Here is Home Depot's requirements.

Here is “The Home Depot’s” veteran/military discount policy, along with the type of IDs needed to verify eligibility.

All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day.

Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request.

To receive the everyday discount, we ask customers to present one of the following IDs to verify eligibility:

· Common Access Card (CAC is a standard identification card issued to active duty and reserve personnel)

· United States Uniformed Services Privilege and Identification Card:

o Tan - Dependent of active duty member or retiree

o Red - Retired reservist and reservist dependent

o Blue - Retiree

· A VA Medical Center “Veteran Identification Card” (it MUST state “Service Connected”)

The maximum for both 10% discounts is $500 on a single-receipt purchase at The Home Depot U.S. stores only and cannot be applied to installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances or in addition to any other offers. The discount is not available for online purchases.

Vietnam vet but I DO NOT qualify, except for on Federal Holidays. Very strange.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request."

I used to take in a copy of my DD-214 and they accepted that every day. Where I live, your drivers license has a Veteran's designation on it. I just show them that and I get the 10% discount.

With the pro account at Home Depot and Lowe's "MyLowes" account, all I need to do is give them my phone # and they give the 10% as well. This is what my wife does when I'm not with her. Using the account info in their computer, they see the veteran status and then my wife can get it as well.

shinnery

When I was discharged from the Navy in May 1963 I was issued a billfold sized card, it is marked DD217. It has been all the proof of service I have needed so far.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd never heard of a DD-217. I got off of active duty in 74 but served a few years in active reserve. So I got the reserve ID. I went off active reserve in 77 and do not recall getting a DD-217. That does not mean I did not get one but that I sure do not remember getting one.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
You may want to check the number on that form one more time. I was only two years old in 1963 but my Dad who was discharged after Korea (Army) and I have his DD214. My Brother in law (Navy) discharged right after the Bay of Pigs incident also had a DD214.

I was in the Air Force and in addition to the "DD" forms (department of defense) there were also "AF" forms for the Air Force only. Maybe the Navy had a "N" form like a N-217.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
News to me but ....
A DD Form 217, an identity card, is the Certificate of Service, Armed Forces of the United States. It certifies that the named veteran honorably served on active duty, and names the veteran's branch of service, e.g., United States Air Force, etc. On the back of the card, the veteran's period of active duty is listed, along with the veteran's signature and the signature of the certifying officer.

shinnery

Except it isn't laminated. I also got a DD 214 and it is on file in my residence county records where I grew up. 20 Aug 59 til 12 Jun 63 seems like a long time ago. By the way it is DD-217H

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Made a TWO WHEELER out of it

Since early December been checking out South Florida in our Airstream. Before we left I put on new axles. The old ones had been on since 1987 and was feeling that the torsion in the rubber had gotten brittle and worn out. In addition one of the arms had become broken and the thing was ready to fall off.
The new axles took that second bounce out of the freeway whoop-de-doos. Best of all they took some of the "lean" out of the unit in curves and it made the ride smoother in the truck by handling bumps and such better...…………
Okay, so we were in the Everglades, Naples, Marcos Island, and mostly down at Flamingo Campground using the Folbot. The Folbot is a collapsible 2 man kayak/sailboat. Perfect for the shallows and getting back into the islands to fish and just have fun...…..Time to head home:

On our way back from Florida on the Florida Turnpike, there is a section of road that is being repaired. In that process there is a 5" edge of the road where the road ends and the shoulder begins. A truck was passing us and was going to clip the front of the truck as he was pulling back over into the lane we were in.
We braked and dodged over to the edge of the road and onto the shoulder. We didn't realize that there was a 5" edge of the pavement and when we came back into our lane from the shoulder, the tires of the truck and trailer "grabbed" that edge. The trailer tires "caught" that edge, hung up on it for a second or so as the truck continued on after catching the edge itself.

The sway from hell began!!! In perhaps !/4 mile we went across the 3 lanes 5 times with the trailer on 2 wheels for at least two of those oscillations. People behind us that stopped to see if we were having a heart attack were in total shock that we were OK. They said that the trailer had gone into the air at least 5 feet and came down on 2 wheels. Then the weave across the 3 lanes began with me fighting to slow down and as the trailer went one way to fight it from going into the center median or guard rail. Doing this was so we could attempt to go back the other way. It took 6 times of going back and forth to do this and fight the movements until we got the thing stopped...….

FINALLY I GOT IT STRAIGHTENED OUT!!! I slowed down, off onto the shoulder, looked back to see traffic at least 1/2 mile back, and then, checked out my shorts......The contents of the trailer were as if a mini-tornado had gone through the unit or imagine that the trailer is a clothes washer on the spin cycle and the contents of the trailer the clothing...…….frig doors off, drawers open and the contents everywhere, clothes from the closet and cabinets hanging where no one had thought of or on the floor soaking up spillage from the frig or cabinets. On and on; but just imagine the most well made drawers broken and their guides torn off the framing. The exterior shows nothing except the tires have wear/rubbing all the way from the tread up to the tire wheel/rim obviously caused by the trailer riding the tire on it's side...……

What can I say...…...God is good...…..

Attachments

• drop off.jpg
    drop off.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 37
  • TIRES TO USE.jpg
    TIRES TO USE.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 37
  • scatter 1.jpg
    scatter 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 37
  • scatter 2.jpg
    scatter 2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 36

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Oh wow ! That was a Whisper in your ear to fix those axles !! I agree God is good and does all things for our good whether we understand it in this life or not. So glad you are a good driver and was guided by His hands . :tiphat: judy

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Way to keep a cool head and get her back under control. The hand of God was clearly on your steering wheel D&D.

And I agree with Collie that repairing those axles probably saved you all from serious injury or worse. So glad you are all safe.

Soon as the ground dries up a little, I am going to crawl under my old Jayco and make certain it is road worthy.

Thanks!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: Thank God you had the whereforall to control the vehicle as well as you did. Amazing no one what seriously injured. Amazing. And like BC said, great that you listened to that whisper in your ear to change those axles. Most would not have thought of that until after one broke.
:wow:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Like that old adage about flying, "Hours of boredom interrupted by a few brief moments of sheer terror."
Glad you are okey and no one got seriously injured. Guess you can relate when folks say -keep the rubber side on the highway.
As we make this journey through life here on earth there are usually a few times when we can sit back and reflect on examples of God's grace. Your story with the Airstream will no doubt make it into your life's three-ring binder.
Glad you are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.