Hydraulic Suction Filter

Rogerwh0

Has anyone had a filter collapse internally? The filter has about 150 hours on it and the fluid was changed at the same time. It actually sucked the O-ring in that seals the filter, luckily or Or I would have found this issue. The fluid looks like milk. It was new Super UDT a year ago... I do have my trans pressure raised for the turbo is the only thing done to the pressures. The fluid in the trans looked perfect and the filters on the trans looked great. Are the Hydraulic systems linked if so what does the one on the frame rail actually protect? It looks like it is just the auxiliary hydraulic filter?

Attachments

• IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 150

cowrider

Which RTV is this on? I take it that it is the hydraulic system and not the transmission. If it's a 1100 I don't see how there could have been that much suction on the filter since it looks like the oil is filtered on the return to the tank from the control valve, pump suction comes straight from the tank. I did have a cartridge hydraulic filter on a Massey that I over tightened and it ended up looking like that and hell to take back out after. One thing you could check would be the vent line from the tank might be pinched or plugged. Sure would be nice to know what caused that to happen to you.

Attachments

• Kubota RTV 1100 hydrualic system.jpg
    Kubota RTV 1100 hydrualic system.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 128

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It got water in the system somehow, cannot see enough to tell, is it a Kubota filter?
From here (sitting at my desk), it does look like a Kubota filter.

On the right side of the filter in this pic, you can see K U B in the Kubota font.

attachment.php

Rogerwh0

It is a Kubota filter. I can't Imagine how I would have gotten water in it, however it definitely looks like that is the case? The only thing I can think would be condensation?? In the diagram above it is the filter in the #4 location. The dealer I got my Super udt2 said they had never seen that happen to a filter? I m going to try and get all the fluid completely out and see if the problem happens again?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow! It certainly looks like quite a bit of water. I wonder if the water made the filter stop functioning and it collapsed as a result? The oil/water interface on the filter "clogged" it up. In any case it would be interesting to determine the volume of water. It looks to be a lot more than just condensation. I wonder if somehow some coolant is leaking in via the transmission cooling system? Keep us informed of your discoveries. Good Luck

ovrszd

Theres a chance its two separate issues. I've saw engine filters do what yours did.

I have no suggestions regarding how the water got there. I will say it takes very little water to make oil look like that. If you leave that pan sit long enough it'll separate and you'll know how much water is there. :)